SWISS flight cancelled

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
michaelnewport

SWISS flight cancelled

Post by michaelnewport »

I am hoping someone can tell me what happened to my flight LX766 from Basel to Brussels 21/10 19:50....the only thing SWISS could tell me via SMS was that it was cancelled and they dont give you a phone number to call either...grrrrr

So I went back to my office and found the number, called them and they rebooked me on a flight from Zurich (of course I already had a train ticket to go to Basel)...I arrived at Zurich airport to find out that the flight was delayed for 1.5 hrs due to 'Connections' i.e.waiting for some passengers from somewhere else ! I have never heard of that before...no one ever waited for me before they took off...on further questioning of the Cabin Crew I was told that the original crew was somewhere else.

Anyway it was travel nightmare from SWISS.

HighInTheSky

Re: SWISS bastards

Post by HighInTheSky »

Sorry to read about your negative experience with LX.

Fly with them quite often and have had some cancellations and missed connections, but always well taken care of.
Let's hope this was a one-of-a-kind experience.

Waiting for connection pax happens quite often, especially the last flight of the day, if pax miss their last connection (home), LX (or any other carrier) has to pay for their hotel.

SN1203

Re: SWISS bastards

Post by SN1203 »

You may want to change the subject header of your topic, as bastards is a bit harsh, no?

A certain percentage of flights gets cancelled (usually around 1-1,5%), for various reasons (technical problems, lack of crew, lack of aircraft, ...). From a statistics point of view, all frequent flyers will be confronted with a cancelled flight from time to time.

And delaying a flight for connections is quite common actually. Either you are waiting for a crew connection (if the crew or part of the crew that is due to operate your flight is stuck on another delayed flight), or for a passenger connection (usually for larger groups for which there is no immediate solution to rebook them in case they miss the flight). Your ZRH-BRU flight was the last flight of the day to Brussels, so to avoid having to put a large group of pax in a hotel Operations might decide to delay the flight.

If you are a frequent flyer, you'll just have to deal with these inconveniences from time to time...

Air Key West

Re: SWISS flight cancelled

Post by Air Key West »

Last year, my evening LX flight from BSL to BRU was cancelled, too. The reason given (which was probably true) was that the aircraft which would make the flight to BRU would arrive with a considerable delay in BSL and that the crew duty time would be overrun, meaning that the crew was no longer allowed to perform an additional flight that evening.
LX decided to charter two busses and to send us by bus to ZRH. Waiting for the busses and driving to ZRH took more than two hours. LX had told us the last flight ZRH BRU would wait for us. Indeed, the flight was still there. When we boarded we all saw angry faces of passengers who should have left for BRU already two hours earlier. When I spoke to my neighbour on the plane, he told me that LX had made them board the aircraft for an on time departure from ZRH and that they had been sitting inside the plane waiting for us for more than two hours ! Not really a nice solution from LX.
Why didn't they make the ZRH BRU flight leave on time from ZRH and make a stop in BSL to pick us up ? It was probably cheaper for LX to bus us to ZRH and to make ZRH pax wait than performing a stop in BSL en route from ZRH to BRU.
In favor of quality air travel.

regi

Re: SWISS flight cancelled

Post by regi »

fog is also a problem, but more at Zurich .