Business Class? Yes we LAN! MAD-FRA on the Dreamliner

This is the forum to place all your aviation videos and clips: events, air disasters, crashes, spectacular landings, etc...
TheFlyingSultan

Business Class? Yes we LAN! MAD-FRA on the Dreamliner

Post by TheFlyingSultan »

A flight at the pointy end of LAN's Dreamliner? It's here.

TheFlyingSultan

sn26567

Re: Business Class? Yes we LAN! MAD-FRA on the Dreamliner

Post by sn26567 »

Hi Sultan,

I didn't have the time to look at your video until today. But I nevertheless enjoyed it a lot.

How did you get to MAD in the first place? I don't understand that you had to clear immigration (unless it is compulsory for non-Schengen airlines).

If I remember well, there was a special deal on C class tickets for MAD-FRA that you could not refuse.

The IB business lounge looks fantastic: I will miss it on my trip to LIM in October! The whole Barajas airport is indeed great.

Travel in business class is a pleasure: lie-flat seats, excellent meals (pity you don't like foie gras: I would have gulped it!). All this seemed to be offered by LAN (or should I say LATAM now?). But did I see well and do they put 6 seats abreast in the business class of the 787? That looks a little bit greedy!

As a nice end to this trip, I like the landing on 25R in FRA (at least when you are seated on the left): it gives you the best view of the airport in full. How did you get back home from FRA?

Didn't you miss sitting in the last row?

Looking forward to reading about your Condor 757 flight in October: I'm sure it will be much less comfortable ;)
André
ex Sabena #26567

Reg E S Potter

Post by Reg E S Potter »

I also took the opportunity to fly with LAN but I flew both ways - out from Frankfurt on 30/6 and back on 4/7. At Franfurt LAN uses (used?) the Air Canada lounge which was smaller than the Iberia lounge in Madrid but very nice indeed.

Food both ways was the same as you had. Like you my good lady is not keen on Foie Gras so I had to force 2 lots down. Food apart my wife will now only consider Business Class to fly in which probably means we will not be flying for a while! Her only "complaint" was that as she was trying to watch a film the cabin announcements kept interrupting it.

I took the opportunity to do some spotting in Madrid and Frankfurt (no photography and mostly from the hotels) staying at the Inter-City Hotel at Frankfurt for 111Euro including 5 days parking. Fortunately the air conditioning was working as it was 37C at 8 PM on our return.

Lets hope other airlines can offer great deals now and then

R

TheFlyingSultan

sn26567 wrote:Hi Sultan,

I didn't have the time to look at your video until today. But I nevertheless enjoyed it a lot.
I’m glad you did André, thanks for commenting again :)
sn26567 wrote:How did you get to MAD in the first place? I don't understand that you had to clear immigration (unless it is compulsory for non-Schengen airlines).
I got to MAD that same morning on FR, CRL-MAD, report to follow. The LAN flight is a tag-on SCL-MAD-FRA and is considered a non-Schengen flight; you can travel on your national ID card but need to clear immigration at T4S in MAD.
sn26567 wrote:If I remember well, there was a special deal on C class tickets for MAD-FRA that you could not refuse.

There was indeed, I took advantage of it :mrgreen:
sn26567 wrote:The IB business lounge looks fantastic: I will miss it on my trip to LIM in October! The whole Barajas airport is indeed great.

Too bad you will miss that lounge, how come? Flying Y? I flew to LIM too with Iberia in 2004, hopefully you will get the newish cabin (if you fly IB that is).
sn26567 wrote:Travel in business class is a pleasure: lie-flat seats, excellent meals (pity you don't like foie gras: I would have gulped it!). All this seemed to be offered by LAN (or should I say LATAM now?). But did I see well and do they put 6 seats abreast in the business class of the 787? That looks a little bit greedy!

Yeah, food was not to my liking, foie gras, yuck! The wine was excellent though. Saw also the new LATAM logo and livery the other day - don’t like it but as other new liveries and mergers it does take some getting used to I guess?
sn26567 wrote:As a nice end to this trip, I like the landing on 25R in FRA (at least when you are seated on the left): it gives you the best view of the airport in full. How did you get back home from FRA?

Landing on FRA’s 25R was cool indeed 8-) I went home on good old LH, FRA BRU on a classic B737-300.
sn26567 wrote:Didn't you miss sitting in the last row?

Nah - upfront is much better budget permitting lol!
sn26567 wrote:Looking forward to reading about your Condor 757 flight in October: I'm sure it will be much less comfortable ;)
I was mistaken about Oct, that flight is only in Jan 2016 but I will be on the Finnair A350 in Oct, that’s nice as well don’t you think?
Reg E S Potter wrote:I also took the opportunity to fly with LAN but I flew both ways - out from Frankfurt on 30/6 and back on 4/7. At Franfurt LAN uses (used?) the Air Canada lounge which was smaller than the Iberia lounge in Madrid but very nice indeed.
Hey R, nice to hear you had a good flight in LAN business as well. It’s a good product but not overwhelming. Never used the AC lounge at FRA but I hear it is nice as well.
Reg E S Potter wrote:Food both ways was the same as you had. Like you my good lady is not keen on Foie Gras so I had to force 2 lots down. Food apart my wife will now only consider Business Class to fly in which probably means we will not be flying for a while! Her only "complaint" was that as she was trying to watch a film the cabin announcements kept interrupting it.
The same food, at least the consistency is there lol! And what did you get on FRA-MAD then?
Reg E S Potter wrote:Lets hope other airlines can offer great deals now and then
I hope soo too, this was was too good to refuse!

TheFlyingSultan

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

TheFlyingSultan wrote:
sn26567 wrote:How did you get to MAD in the first place? I don't understand that you had to clear immigration (unless it is compulsory for non-Schengen airlines).
I got to MAD that same morning on FR, CRL-MAD, report to follow. The LAN flight is a tag-on SCL-MAD-FRA and is considered a non-Schengen flight; you can travel on your national ID card but need to clear immigration at T4S in MAD.
Does it mean that you also had to clear immigration upon arrival at Frankfurt?
TheFlyingSultan wrote:
sn26567 wrote:The IB business lounge looks fantastic: I will miss it on my trip to LIM in October! The whole Barajas airport is indeed great.

Too bad you will miss that lounge, how come? Flying Y? I flew to LIM too with Iberia in 2004, hopefully you will get the newish cabin (if you fly IB that is).
Of course I'm travelling Y. I don't have a company paying for my trips, I'm a poor retired person now! But I nevertheless hope to enjoy the trip on the IB A340.
André
ex Sabena #26567

TheFlyingSultan

sn26567 wrote:
TheFlyingSultan wrote:
Does it mean that you also had to clear immigration upon arrival at Frankfurt?
Exactly, but it was just a formality and there was no line at all.
sn26567 wrote:
TheFlyingSultan wrote:
Of course I'm travelling Y. I don't have a company paying for my trips, I'm a poor retired person now! But I nevertheless hope to enjoy the trip on the IB A340.
I see and hey, I also pay my trips myself :) Have a good flight to Peru on Iberia.

TheFlyingSultan