Is there a way to detect pasive IR missile launch?

A place to discuss military aviation: airshows, stunning pictures, weapons, etc...

Moderator: Latest news team

Andrey

Is there a way to detect pasive IR missile launch?

Post by Andrey »

When the plane is attacked with pasive IR SAM or AAM is there a way to detect launch? I simply can't figure how. Also i'm interested to know in detail how the plane's radar tracking detection systems detect launches of active and semi-active missiles.(How does it "realize" that the plane is being shot at, not just tracked?)

hepho84

Post by hepho84 »

Well I suppose that the plane's sensors can detect the heat of the missile's rocket.

About active and semi-active missiles, I beleive that the detection is based on the signal send by the missile itself and/or the launcher.
The ECM system is able to "understand" if the plane is locked as I suppose that the signal is not the same in either case.

Thank to ELINT I suppose that each signal for each know missile is reccorded on a databank.

Somebody could say if I'm not completely wrong ? :wink:

Regards

earthman

Post by earthman »

We could tell you how it works, but we would have to kill you

n5528p

Re: Is there a way to detect pasive IR missile launch?

Post by n5528p »

Andrey wrote:When the plane is attacked with pasive IR SAM or AAM is there a way to detect launch? I simply can't figure how.
Though it is rather difficult, the right sensor could detect the flames of the missile. Depending on the fuel used, the light emitted by the missile is rather characteristic. But I am not sure if such systems are operational yet. Also the heat could be detected, theoretically. Be reminded that the hot end of the missile points more or less away from the aircraft.
Andrey wrote:Also i'm interested to know in detail how the plane's radar tracking detection systems detect launches of active and semi-active missiles.(How does it "realize" that the plane is being shot at, not just tracked?)
A tracking radar has a total different frequency. Due to the high speed of the missile, it needs position updates of its target very often so it sweeps the target area more often with a different frequency.

Regards, Bernhard

Captain

Post by Captain »

Is it true that Air Force one is equiped with anti-missile technology to launch flares to distract/confuse the missile?

n5528p

Post by n5528p »

Captain wrote:Is it true that Air Force one is equiped with anti-missile technology to launch flares to distract/confuse the missile?
You can count on that. So are some aircraft oe ElAl for example and many military jets of course, But that does not mean that said systems word perfectly against all kinds of missiles...

Regards, Bernhard

Andrey

Post by Andrey »

Thanks guys! Pretty detailed reply.

bigjulie

Post by bigjulie »

earthman wrote:We could tell you how it works, but we would have to kill you

I agree that killing you would have to be an option if you knew too much :wink: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue: