Have You Ever Met Anyone Famous?

This is the place to hang out when you have finished your aviation related discussions, please remain always friendly and respectful against each other! Offensive and/or racist remarks are not allowed.
twan01

Post by twan01 »

Through the years the list of Royals, sport and other celebrities that I met is too numerous to mention.

So I just want to mention some who made it in the aviation world.

General Chuck Yeager, the first man to fly faster than the speed of sound,
General Paul Tibbets, pilot of the B-29 who dropped the first atomic bomb on Japan.
R A "Bob" Hoover, world war II pilot, and most famous test and display pilot of the USA.
Neil Armstrong, first man on the moon,
And not to forget our two Belgian astronauts, Dirk Frimout and Frank De Winne.
When De Winne was still in the BAF I even had a chance to fly a photomission in Mirage V with Frank as my pilot.
Keep 'Em Flying !!

"Twan"

www.iapa.be

Jumbolino

Post by Jumbolino »

hmmm, on the same plane - or better same company and same route (plane was mostly F-GPYO) which I posted in the "your first pic of an airplane" threadI met the EU commisioner of agriculture
(Franz Fischler) where I had to share the whole flight the row with him !
the minister president of the Tyrol, meanwhile the former ....
and I'm 99.9 % sure Sven Hannawald (ski jumping, for all which are not too interested in sport expecially in winter sport and skiing) ;-)
real a shame that nobody serves the route any more :(

PS: it was INN-ZRH-INN Air Littoral on beharf of Swissair back in Y2K

Ozzie1969
Location: Brugge, Flanders + Annan, Scotland + Ormoc,Philippines

Post by Ozzie1969 »

The most famous person I ever met was Michael Palin (of Monty Python fame), whom I met in Brisbane in a large shopping mall.

Rago

Post by Rago »

Only presidents (Mitterand, Bush Sr), Prime Ministers, ...

Only Mitterand was a nice guy! Invited us for BarBQ at french embassy

But top of the bill on Sep12 all those Luchtzakkers (with scan!)

woehahahahahahaaaaaaa

:mexwave: :mexwave:

SN30952

Post by SN30952 »

Rago wrote:Only Mitterand was a nice guy! Invited us for BarBQ at french embassy :mexwave: :mexwave:
Mitterand invited only you for BBQ? No:?:8)
I did not know Mitterand liked BBQ's. But now you come to tell it, that explains partly why he died.
Talking about presidents.. These guys usually would not pass the medical a ordinary goverment clerk would have to undergo. In Uganda, the president was a diabetic, amongst other diseases I suppose. Was it because he did not trust or could not rely on his national airline, but he came to Sabena to have his medicine flown in. And I would not be me, if I did not see in that a good opportunity to secure our business. So we did not bring in too much at a time, just enough to keep on asking if we could have more flights. That way extra cargo flights were granted more easily, as I could convince this president via his personal secretary, that it was more reliable and more confidential to fly the 'bottles & pills' in on these cargoes. So these cargo 707's were met at the airport by a presidential car, as the presidential residence was not far from the airport in Entebbe, and before heading for the capital Kampala, he came to pick up his medicine...

levent

Post by levent »

I met musician Andre Rieu in an art shop in Maastricht once. He had bought a present and wanted to pay, but the shop owner didn´t accept credit cards. He didn´t have any cash, so had to get his driver to pay for him...
I also met Thailand´s king Bumiphol during a visit to an orphanage in Pattaya, where I was working as a volunteer. Extremely nice guy and very much loved by the Thais.
And I met the leader of Spain´s Partido Popular (political party) at Valencia airport, just before he boarded a Citation jet to Madrid.

Rago

Post by Rago »

SN30952 wrote:
Rago wrote:Only Mitterand was a nice guy! Invited us for BarBQ at french embassy :mexwave: :mexwave:
Mitterand invited only you for BBQ? No:?:8)
Not only me SN! As mentionned "us" and "us" was the complete security team. If he died from his own BBQ, that's no publicity fot the famous french kitchen :wink:

VC10

Post by VC10 »

Today, I met my Party leader, Nick Griffin, a very nice family man..(despite what the media say about him!!)
The Voice of Freedom will never be silenced.

Trisha

fokker_f27

Post by fokker_f27 »

My grandparents once met George Bush.
And I once met a senitor, can't remember who.

MD-11

Post by MD-11 »

I already met this man ( the one in the black suit ) more than once. His name is world famous :wink:
Last year I met Miss Belgium 2004 Ellen Petri.
No offence, Bart, but I found that meeting more pleasent :wink:
When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

regi

Post by regi »

Last week we found a picture back with my mother and King Bumiphol and Queen Sirikit when they did their Tour of Europe in 1960 something.
My mom was a young chick looking in the limousine at those celebrities.

regi

Post by regi »

When I was still innoscent, I was in the boys quire, and we did a performance in the Belgian Royal Palace for king Boudewijn and Queen Fabiola. (in the round music room)
The queen's favourite dog had 1 eye, and we called it unpolitely a coalstove tube ("stovebeuze") because it was a long dirty thing. Because we spoke our local patois, the queen didn't understand us and just giggled.
One of the boys vomited in the Royal Toilet, and he had done his best to splatter 3 walls.
We got served a meal with peas. The moment that the dignitaries left us in the dining hall, the green bullets flew in every direction.
Anyway, that was my famous encounter.

VC10

Post by VC10 »

Bart, (MD11) are you sure that you don't secretly live in Scarborough? For months now, we keep seeing this guy who looks remarkably like you. We see him in the local supermarket and also in town. Are you sure you're not living some kind of double life now??? :wink: :wink:
The Voice of Freedom will never be silenced.

Trisha

chunk

Post by chunk »

I met George Best in the 80's sometime in Dubai. Her was playing a charity football match and my Dad was in the same team as him. Beyond that....the entire Man U team passed me in Heathrow a few years back - in fact Ray Wilkins was there yesterday having a glass of wine in the BMI gate area. He was on Sky Sports last night so must have been on the way to Manchester.

PLayed football myself in a Dubai 7's tournament with two ex England players in the opposing team...one was called Peter Barnes and he played for Man CIty. The other's second name name was Hunt....thats all I remember. Apart from liking the opportunity to take out two ex-England players that is.....

The only others I can think of would be two members of the Scottish rock group Big Country. I had beers with Bruce Watson and Tony Butler after a show in Aberdeen around '94.

Sterre

Post by Sterre »

A lot of years ago I met Dirk Frimout.
When I started my career as a flight attendant I met Richard Branson (VEX) and that's about it.
Less known people get on my flights too, but they're hardly worth mentioning: Cardinal Daneels, Koen Crucke, Axel Daeseleire, ...

MD-11

Post by MD-11 »

VC10 wrote:Bart, (MD11) are you sure that you don't secretly live in Scarborough? For months now, we keep seeing this guy who looks remarkably like you. We see him in the local supermarket and also in town. Are you sure you're not living some kind of double life now??? :wink: :wink:
Let the guy draw a plane and you'll know wether it's me :wink:
When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

teddybAIR

Post by teddybAIR »

Last year I met Kirsten Flipkens during my student job at Belgian Sky Shops...she kept really low profile and wasn't that known at the time...anyway, I had the privilege to serve her

bAIR

SN_Bigbirdy

Post by SN_Bigbirdy »

In july 2004, I was working at the Wingtips @EBBR when suddenly a rather old man and a very attractive woman were standing in front of me. They wanted to order some food. He wore a fleece with the titles "Read Racing" or something, can't remember it very good. I asked if he was a member of a racing-team and he appeared to be the one and only Phil Read 8O 8O

Phil Read was the first rider to achieve the triple honor of winning the 125, 250 and 500cc categories. In all, the Brit won seven world titles, but for some racing fans he will always be best remembered as one of the original rebels of motorsport.

I must say, he was extremely friendly, not at al reluctantly to have a friendly discussion, he even gave me a personalized autograph 8)

Simon
If you can count the blades of my engines while they work, you are too close to be save
My pictures @ Jetphotos.net: http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=10039

Comet

Post by Comet »

Yesterday I shook hands with Nick Griffin and Mark Collett.
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise