Flown-in food to the UK may be denied the “organic” label

This is the place to hang out when you have finished your aviation related discussions, please remain always friendly and respectful against each other! Offensive and/or racist remarks are not allowed.
SN30952

Flown-in food to the UK may be denied the “organic” label

Post by SN30952 »

Food imported to the UK by air may be denied the “organic” label under proposals being put forward today by the country’s main organic certification body.

There is growing demand to reduce the carbon footprint of food distribution.

And veggies flown in cause proportionally a lot of carbon.
The carbon footprint of air-freighting food is a thing that I had condemned in these forums quite a while ago.

Let's hope other countries and the whole EU follow.
Meanwhile you could decide NOT to buy such products as there are: flown in veggies and flowers.

If they can bring in bananas by boat, let them find a system to bring over said commodities. Thank you

regi

Post by regi »

It took me some rereading and extra time to understand your message. But I think you could be right.

SN30952

Peace to you!

Post by SN30952 »

regi wrote:It took me some rereading and extra time to understand your message. But I think you could be right.
:?: Do you think a green pea should be flown in to your dinner table.
That's the whole question, indeed.
The price of the pea is a little percent of its menu price.
The 'the carbon footprint of food distribution' of a pea from Kenya is totally out of proportion.
Some people take the car to go buy a packet of cigarettes, but eat flown in peas*, whose carbon footprint is the heaviest?

*Eat your veggies in their local harvesting season. So there will be more variety, than 52 weeks of peas. Fresh veggies from YOUR neighbourhood.
Peace to you :wink:
And deep frozen Belgian fries to us. :oops:

regi

Post by regi »

I doubt that the belgian fries at Carrefour or Makro in Thailand are flown in. They are deep frozen and transported by container. Except if there are now also fresh fries, for the lazy people.
By the way, the major manufacturer ( and exporter to Thailand) is the potato plant at Veurne, West-Vlaanderen.
So , forget about the cheese in Thailand as well.

a380man

Post by a380man »

I thought MKAirlines exported food to places like Thailand?

SN30952

Post by SN30952 »

regi wrote:I doubt that the belgian fries at Carrefour or Makro in Thailand are flown in.
Fries come from USA*, Egypt or Indonesia. Only Belgian fries come from Flanders or the Kempen.
The first as shoe strings type, tasteless, and the second category come in as civilised real fries 10mm cuts, with potato taste.
Dutch and Flemish growers have locally good potatoes on offer at a price higher than the frozen imported fries. One needs to peel and cut.
* If these are genetically modified, it is not mentioned, and thus for most Europeans a no-buy.

All this volume cargo is shipped by sea.
Other frozen vegetables, as spinach, carrots, broccoli, asparagus, beans more and more are produced in China. But also in Indonesia. btw food products coming from Muslim countries have a guarantee they are not gen-modified. Some religions have food advantages...

Since we are in the Luchtzak pub, visitors of pubs and restaurants abroad have very few guarantees that the products served aren't gen-modified, as food inspection in some countries in fact does not exist.