Zaventem expanding?

A forum to discuss all aviation items (not for latest aviation news and military aviation news)

Moderator: Latest news team

K_R

Zaventem expanding?

Post by K_R »

Wouldn' it be a good idea for some expansion at BRU? Especially according transatlantic flights? When I worked at the airport (untill january 2006) there were 7 flights to the US. CO, UA, AA (2), DL (2) and Bangladesh.

Now, you will have US and NWA added to the scheme, together with JetBlue, it makes 10 flights to the USA on a regular base.

Now, security measures make that the area at the airport, designated to fly to the US has to be an area with extra security. Untill january last year, the gates B36-B40 were used for it. Since the planes flying to the US stay a while at BRU, they have to expand this area.

Wouldn't it be wise to start thinking about a new, rather small concourse where you can fly high risk flights (maybe SN and El Al to Israël, too)? But then again, when several European countries will join 'Shengen', they will move from the B concourse to the (now to big) A concourse, creating space for more transatlantic flights.

TWA

Post by TWA »

Now, you will have US and NWA added to the scheme, together with JetBlue, it makes 10 flights to the USA on a regular base.
JetBlue ??????with what kind of equipment.... using their A320's and EMB190!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![

744rules

Post by 744rules »

I think the high risk gates for flights to the US no longer apply as the security perimeter has been moved.
motorcycling : sensation with a twist of the wrist

regi

Post by regi »

high risk gates to the US? Since when is it more dangerous to fly to the US than e.g. Kinshasha?

744rules

Post by 744rules »

It's a question about departure procedures. Screening of pax, security questions, .......

AFApresident

Post by AFApresident »

Security area must indeed been moved. I saw a UAL 767 in February somewhere at gate B6 or so.

Bruspotter

Post by Bruspotter »

Hello

Was that the reason why those US planes where always so far away from the wingtips restaurant , because of a safety perimitor?:D

I always saw the UA 763 somewhere around gate B-14 or something (possible?). The closest plane was the DL 763 , but there is some kind of big exit (it's a sort of tent or at least it looks like) where they stay behind :D I have never noticed it around the year 2000 , was it build afterworths?

Best regards: Yannick ;)

744rules

Post by 744rules »

The aft gates at the B-pier have different security facilities and a secured area.

The "tent" you can see is the "busstation" . Boarding facilities for a/c parked on a remote stand.

favourite_belgian

Post by favourite_belgian »

Don't you think it's a bit silly that we need a special security area in the first place? I was quite amazed to see that there was none of that flying back from JFK to BRU: no stupid and totally pointless questions before check-in, no second, extremely irritating security check at the gate and no second set of the same stupid and totally pointless questions at the gate itself.

I don't see why airports handling flights to the US should spend so much money on security, which ultimately the passenger pays for, while the US seemingly cannot be bothered. Isn't it time the EU took a tougher stance against the US when it comes to EU-US air traffic?

Tompompier

Post by Tompompier »

Bruspotter wrote:
but there is some kind of big exit (it's a sort of tent or at least it looks like) where they stay behind :D I have never noticed it around the year 2000 , was it build afterworths?

Best regards: Yannick ;)
The big 'tent' is the IRDL, or International Remote Departure Lounge.

Tompompier

Airbus330lover

wrong title

Post by Airbus330lover »

should it be "Brussels airport expanding"?

K_R

Post by K_R »

I worked at the airpot untill january 2006. The reason why you could see the UA 763 at the first gates at the B-concourse is because they only parked there to unboard. Afterwards, the plane would be towed to a remote area and when the CO 764 left gate B40, the UA 763 would take it's place.

The gates B36 - B40 were always closed for non-US passengers between 7 in the morning untill 13:00 in the afternoon, when the UA 763 would be 'loose' from the jetway. After that, the security equipment wass taken away and the entire concourse opened for th other passengers.
It was even so that if an American airline, like DL many times, had a technical problem and it didn't leave untill let's say 19:00, the area would have remained closed.

I don't know the current situation, but when I flew to NY last october, this area was still there so I don't think it will be gone by now...

eurofighter

Post by eurofighter »

Why should BRUSSELS airport be expanding, including a low fare terminal, as was written in the press several weeks ago?

There will be a few more intercontinental flights coming to our airport this year. But these still can easily be handled from terminal B.

Terminal A is utterly under used. As someone wrote, in a couple of years Schengen will be expanded to countries like Poland and Czech Republic and the other recently joined EU member states, making better use of the capacity in Terminal A.

Then terminal B will have more capacity for intercontinental flights.

No need for a bigger airport, new terminals, new runways. Better use of existing facilities will do.

The only annoying place where there is not enough capacity in the airport is "arrivals" with the hords of people standing in your way when you want to get to the taxi stand or the train/bus station.

Flybe

Post by Flybe »

As someone wrote, in a couple of years Schengen will be expanded to countries like Poland and Czech Republic and the other recently joined EU member states, making better use of the capacity in Terminal A.
Not even in a few years. From 01/01/2008 all new member states (except Bulgaria & Romania, as they came later) will join Schengen, with the airports adapting to that system from March 2008. So normally from March next year, the terminal A should see quite some more traffic, while place gets set free at the B terminal.

Question is: not all gates at the B terminal can be used simultaniously for widebody planes. As the flights to new member states are (99%) small planes, they could still occupy some gates that can't be occupied by widebodies during traffic hour. So will it save that much space?

Of course the B terminal is empty most part of the day, but every new long haul carrier seems to want to fly there in the morning, when it does show a quite nice occupancy rate...

Greets,

Pieter

ihd-fc

security gates US

Post by ihd-fc »

There was a special security zone for American flights until November.

They stopped doing extra checks because with the new rules of liquids and gels it is safe enough.

Most of the time they still board at the last gates but CO and UA also boards at B1-B5 and others in the beginning. American and Delta prefer the last gates because they store all their desks and displays overthere. CO likes to use the B40 because then they can already ask the security questions before boarding and keep the passengers in the B40-zone.

Greetz,ihd-fc

spotter1102

Post by spotter1102 »

TWA wrote:
JetBlue ??????with what kind of equipment.... using their A320's and EMB190!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![
Probably in code-share ?

Also 9W !