bmi and EMA - What are they like?

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
Comet

bmi and EMA - What are they like?

Post by Comet »

Has anyone here flown with bmi (in an ERJ145) or from EMA? If so, what are bmi like and is EMA a decent airport (viewing etc)?

Also, does anyone know whether or not bmi have a self-service check in machine in BRU? One page on their website says there is, and another page says there isn't.
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

Vinnie-Winnie

Post by Vinnie-Winnie »

I've done BRU-LBA in ERJ-135 last september! Service ok hot snack and drinks but nothing special! Aircraft really cramped even when sitting down! Nothing special really!

an-148

Post by an-148 »

Aircraft really cramped even when sitting down
Same feeling (Iflew EMB145 Alitalia from BEG to MXP, kocked my head everywhere :lol: )

Phatius

Post by Phatius »

Hi,

i flew the route quite a few times...
Nothing special, business men orientated, a snack and a drink.

EMA is a little airport (pax figures wise) compared to the surrounding airports, so if you don't arrive at the same time as the charter flights, you're out in 10 min!

BMI regional operates the flight, but up to BMI standards, and even free food and drinks on this leg.

Check-in in BRU is done by Aviapartner, and there are no self check-in machines, but online check-in works most of the times.

Just watch the weight limit of your luggage, as this is nowadays the priority n°1 of BMI Brussels, I think...

Putting a coat extra in your suitcase may cost you 7€ extra!
(as my luggage was 20kg, but I did not want to take my coat with me, so I did put it in my suitcase, and then 21kg! So they charged me 1kg!! Off course I took my coat out again!)

Greetz,

Phatius

fokker_f27

Post by fokker_f27 »

Embraer Regional Jets (not E-jets) will always feel cramped, regardless of the airline. Unless you really want a window seat, I would recommend the isle seat on the right, as it gives the most room.

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/0975431/M/
The most sexy girl in the sky: The Sud-Est Caravelle 12.

Comet

Post by Comet »

Thanks for the replies everyone. Our flight is early in the morning so I won't be feeling too hungry, a small snack is all I'd want I think.

I've never tried online check in before, when we flew on BA last year we left home more than 24 hours before our flight left so I couldn't have a go at online check in, but I was pleased at how efficient the self-service check in machines are. Check in at a desk is OK but it's nicer when you don't have to queue :mrgreen:

I think we'll be OK with baggage weights, our trip is only a short one so we won't have too much luggage but thanks for that bit of info.

I think there is alot of cargo traffic at EMA as well, which could be quite interesting, but there is very little info about cargo movements.
Louise

BRU-CPH

Post by BRU-CPH »

I have been in BMI regional's Embraer from BRU to Edinbrugh about 3 years ago. This was a very light flight, only about 30 people up and 15 people down (the return flight was also the last saturday flight on this leg).

As the lay-out is 1+2, is you sit on the left (if I remember right) you have a window and aisle seat in one! This is the best seat to me.

Comet

Post by Comet »

Are the snacks on the ERJs free? I know that on some bmi flights you pay for food, or is that on just the bigger planes (Airbuses) flying to and from LHR on the European and domestic runs?

Also, the bmi flights we booked were very good value. I checked flights from several airports and some were extortionate. Eastern from Durham Tees Valley was about £185 return and Spotty Tail from BHX was £210 (same dates, similar times, similar flight distance to the EMA route, supposedly "low cost" is £99 more expensive than what we paid :evil: )
Louise

regi

Post by regi »

Dear Comet, I took that exact flight some time ago.
The details:
Boarding was from the tent in Zaventem, where we were put in a bus to the Embraer, parked around the corner.
As it was my first flight in such a needle, I was pretty afraid of cramped conditions. But no, the legspace is bigger than in a long haul jumbo. And seating is 1-2, meaning that you are never squeezed between 2 passengers.
We got a hot pannini bread, good taste.
The flight was as a knife cutting through the butter, and very little noise.
Descent was a bit rough, a long and bumpy glide down, quite similar when you land on BRU from e.g. Frankfurt.
But than came the disappointment: East Midlands airport! It looks like a mixture of East-Berlin-in-the-seventies, Blackpool during Easter holiday ( many passengers who get drunk in the few pubs) , a slot machine gambling hall in Leeds and the menu of a Road Chef highway eatery. www.roadchef.com
The parking is just in front of the airport, as in many regionnal airports.
The orange colour of the seperate Easy Jet terminal looks so depressing, really cheap.
People with business lounge member cards get... a voucher, just enough to get 2 drinks, or 1 drink + a triangular sandwich-in-plastic. Because there is no business lounge. Remember: it is a cheap airport. You get the impression to be in Coronation Street.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coronation_Street
Checking in is OK, swift. A bus again to the plane.
Both flights were on time and OK.
But the airport is dull, boring, and even dirty. And a lot of cigarette smell.
It is very frustrating for business travellers that such a ticket costs 550 euro, while the service in the airport is nothing better than in Charleroi, Kinshasha ( well...) or Mumbai.
You will enjoy your BMI flight, but you will try to forget EMA.

Comet

Post by Comet »

Thanks regi. I have to say that I hate the sound of EMA, reminds me of NCL. We would have otherwise gone from LHR - cheaper flights but in December the hotels are alot more expensive and so is travel to London for some reason (it doesn't always apply to other places :? )

A panini would be nice, I've only ever had one on an aircraft before and that was MAN-LHR last December on BA.

As we land at a reasonable time in the morning (if everything is on time) then I can look forward to a lunchtime meal in my favourite (at the moment :mrgreen:) eaterie in Brugge.

I truly hope that Chagall is open on 24th December - it closes on 25th and 26th is on a Wednesday (I read that Chagall is closed on Wednesday) so that would be my only chance to eat there before we go home on 27th.
Louise

regi

Post by regi »

Dear Comet,
I am a bit surprised to read that the Chagall is your favourite eatery. The food is just mediocre, not bad, but certainly not something special. Allow me to give you a tip for your next trip: the Bon Vivant in the Dweerstraat: grilling on open fire, meat and fish. Comes at +- 15£ a person. It is just a 3 minutes walk from the Chagall.
Just open in the evening though.

Comet

Post by Comet »

Thanks for the tip regi. I always thought that Chagall seemed quite popular, it's recommended in all the guide books to Brugge. But as I said, it was just my favourite so far, there are so many eating places in Brugge to try.

Bon Vivant does sound very good, I always like to have some steaks when I am in Belgium as they are always cooked exactly how I like them. We will look for that restaurant as we will want somewhere to eat on the 26th December. I have just found it in our eating guide so now I know what to look for :mrgreen:

Another favourite of mine is Lange Muur, we had dinner there on Christmas Day and the place was packed. The Cantonese Rice Table was very good.
Louise