The future of Brussels Airlines with Lufthansa

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

HighInTheSky

Re: The future of Brussels Airlines with Lufthansa

Post by HighInTheSky »

It was clearly said that the Brussels Airlines brand would not change in the coming years. And if it would change, i'm afraid they won't pick Sabena, but rather Luftansa Brussels or Lufthansa Belgium (if Belgium still exists ;) )

In the meanwhile, rumours are spreading eagerly among the staff and crew. It would be a good idea that the management would inform everybody what they are plannig to do the coming months and years, and how they will approach certain problems (fleet, hub, Flex/Light vs Eco/Business, destinations).

For this winter, not much will change. They still are going to put at least 10% of the Avro's and 737's on the ground (330 and 319 will keep flying), they will ground the whole fleet on 31/12, and they will change some destinations/ frequencies.

The temporary contracts of the cabin crew who started this year are not renewd, so they are out of work this winter. But they can come back at latest with the start of the new summerseason.

So, what will change? To be honest, i don't know what and when we will see the first changes...

My guess is that the first things we will notice are the global contracts with Lufthansa of wich Brussels Airlines can benefit (fuel, catering, crew hotels, maintenance,...)

Second may be the codeshares who will start rising rapidly and others dissapearing.

The change from Privilige to Miles & More (sidenote: I've spoken to one of the Privilege staff, and they are not too happy with the change)

Maybe already some new destinations?

I'm afraid the fleet won't change much in 2009, maybe one or two extra 330's and/or 340's.

This is only my view on the case. What do you guys think?

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Megaman wrote:As an off note: I really liked the bird from Magritte on the A340 & A330 wingtips.
So do I: see my avatar!

The integration of SN in a much larger group could have many beneficial consequences with regard to fleet availability. I take one example that I experienced with Swiss yesterday: I was coming back from Warsaw to Brussels via Zurich with a Swiss International Airlines (subsidairy of Lufthansa) free ticket (thank you Miles & More - even the taxes and surcharges were paid with FF miles); none of the two aircraft was a Swiss aircraft: from WAW to ZRH it was a Fokker 100 from Contact Air (with a German registration of course), and from ZRH to BRU another F100 from Helvetic.

A Lufthansa-integrated SN might be able to use such aircraft from other companies if its own aircraft are not suited for the capacity, or unavailable for one or the other reason
André
ex Sabena #26567

pijaleu

Post by pijaleu »

I thought there was a specific post about Air DC but I can't find it. Therefor, administrator, please put this post where it belongs.

According to the Belgian newsspaper L'Echo Air DC will start flights by the end of this year under a Belgian license.

More info would be very welcome.

Kind Regards,
Pijaleu

itami

Post by itami »

Last weekend I heard that the deal with LH was made in a hurry because of the eminent bank crisis in Belgium. As i'm not a 'haute finance' expert I don't see the relationship. So I hope it is just a rumour. If not I wonder if the decision was still made on objective air industrial considerations. The future will tell us. Anyway let's hope the best for SN ! :)

NCB

Post by NCB »

If the Belgian bank sector would get into the crisis, SN would have less chances to secure a loan.
Hence, it would have been more desperate and would have been doomed to accept a lower offer by LH.
It was a good move of SN shareholders.

BrightCedars

Post by BrightCedars »

NCB wrote:It was a good move of SN shareholders.
Wasn't a certain Maurice Lippens one of those? I guess it says much how the retention of information that's been taking place for quite some time now already. But no one talks of a parliamentary inquiry here.

itami

Post by itami »

Jaan Albrecht, CEO of Star Alliance said that as soon as LH gets complete control over SN they will join the alliance. So SN needs to stay in the waiting room for 2 more years. Quite long if you ask me :shock: .

DannyVDB

Post by DannyVDB »

I think joining an alliance takes always at least 1 and most cases up to 2 years. So seems logic to me this will be the case for SN as well. In a first stage they will start code-sharing and streamline the network of SN. This takes already at least half/one year.

Regards,
Danny

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

DannyVDB wrote:In a first stage they will start code-sharing and streamline the network of SN...
... and adapt the fleet to Star Alliance standards, i.e. a full-fledged business class and a decent economy service. This could indeed take more than one year.
André
ex Sabena #26567

134flyer

Post by 134flyer »

DannyVDB wrote:In a first stage they will start code-sharing and streamline the network of SN. This takes already at least half/one year.
Apparently there will be a BD press briefing on 14 October regarding a partnership with SN.

euroflyer

Post by euroflyer »

sn26567 wrote:
DannyVDB wrote:In a first stage they will start code-sharing and streamline the network of SN...
... and adapt he fleet to Star Alliance standards, i.e. a full-fledged business class and a decent economy service. This could indeed take more than one year.
Do not expect too much here I would say. Of course a "real" business class will be under way again. But the inflight service in eco might not change so fast, maybe a free non-alcoholic drink or so. But if you have experienced the inflight service, seat pitch etcetera with some other *Alliance partners (like Spanair or TAP for example) on shorthaul flights, there is not much need for an improvement for SN ...
Star Alliance Gold / LH Senator
A300 A318 A319 A320 A321 A340 B737 B747 B757 B767 MD81 MD82 MD90 Tu134 IL18 BAe146 RJ85 RJ100 CRJ200 CRJ700 CRJ900 ERJ145 E170 E195 F50 F70 F100 ATR42 ATR72 Q300 Q400
http://my.flightmemory.com/euroflyer

134flyer

Post by 134flyer »

euroflyer wrote:Do not expect too much here I would say. Of course a "real" business class will be under way again. But the inflight service in eco might not change so fast, maybe a free non-alcoholic drink or so. But if you have experienced the inflight service, seat pitch etcetera with some other *Alliance partners (like Spanair or TAP for example) on shorthaul flights, there is not much need for an improvement for SN ...
But then again, SN will be part of the LH Group, which has a much better standard than b.flex & b.light, even in short-haul economy. So I expect (or at least hope) that the SN service in both C & Y will be streamlined with LH, LX, EN etc...

HighInTheSky

Post by HighInTheSky »

I do hope so, because internal rumour has it that they want to keep their stupid Flex/Light formula...

I hope that LH will send somebody rather sooner then later to take control of the inflight product and commercial departement.
134flyer wrote:Apparently there will be a BD press briefing on 14 October regarding a partnership with SN.
BD? Board of Directors?

summersso

Post by summersso »

sn26567 wrote:... and adapt the fleet to Star Alliance standards, i.e. a full-fledged business class and a decent economy service. This could indeed take more than one year.
Is there a common Star Alliance standard? I don't think so. Compare BMI or SAS with their pay-for-drinks in Economy class policy with Swiss or Austrian - both far better products.

For a long time I've always felt that Star Alliance is about global reach and quantity rather than quality, as opposed to OneWorld who's members tend offer a more consistent and better product. That's just a thought - I don't know if anyone agrees/disagrees.

summersso

Post by summersso »

HighInTheSky wrote:I do hope so, because internal rumour has it that they want to keep their stupid Flex/Light formula...

I hope that LH will send somebody rather sooner then later to take control of the inflight product and commercial departement.
134flyer wrote:Apparently there will be a BD press briefing on 14 October regarding a partnership with SN.
BD? Board of Directors?
I think BD refers to BMI - British Midland International. Expect SN which switch their codeshares from BA to BMI... on verra.

AirDupont

Post by AirDupont »

For a long time I've always felt that Star Alliance is about global reach and quantity rather than quality, as opposed to OneWorld who's members tend offer a more consistent and better product. That's just a thought - I don't know if anyone agrees/disagrees.
I compelety disagree with you. Thai, Singapore, ANA, Austrian are the only airlines I have flown with in the last 6 years and I can only say that their product is very good. Aren't Singapore and Asiana 5 star airlines?????????

euroflyer

Post by euroflyer »

summersso wrote: For a long time I've always felt that Star Alliance is about global reach and quantity rather than quality, as opposed to OneWorld who's members tend offer a more consistent and better product. That's just a thought - I don't know if anyone agrees/disagrees.
I disagree - sorry 8-)
My experience is mainly on European short-haul and I certainly cannot say BA, Malev or IB ( :roll: ) have a product which would be in any way superior to that of AUA, Swiss, LOT, TAP, SAS, BMI, JK or LH ...

The variety might be bigger with *Alliance, but than again it is much, much bigger in Europe, so no surprise the variety is bigger.
Star Alliance Gold / LH Senator
A300 A318 A319 A320 A321 A340 B737 B747 B757 B767 MD81 MD82 MD90 Tu134 IL18 BAe146 RJ85 RJ100 CRJ200 CRJ700 CRJ900 ERJ145 E170 E195 F50 F70 F100 ATR42 ATR72 Q300 Q400
http://my.flightmemory.com/euroflyer

134flyer

Post by 134flyer »

summersso wrote:
HighInTheSky wrote:
BD? Board of Directors?
I think BD refers to BMI - British Midland International. Expect SN which switch their codeshares from BA to BMI... on verra.
Yes, BD refers to bmi. Probably indeed an announcement of SN codeshares on bmi's flights to/from LHR

itami

Post by itami »

summersso wrote:For a long time I've always felt that Star Alliance is about global reach and quantity.
I do agree with this part of you sentence Summersso ! To my feeling the fast expansion of *A (and of LH inside *A in particular) might soon compromise its general image and quality. They indeed hurry to cover the whole world while Oneworld looks more selective at inviting new members. Sounds utopic, but I would have preferred a take over of SN by SQ or NH.

summersso

Post by summersso »

itami wrote:
summersso wrote:For a long time I've always felt that Star Alliance is about global reach and quantity.
I do agree with this part of you sentence Summersso ! To my feeling the fast expansion of *A (and of LH inside *A in particular) might soon compromise its general image and quality. They indeed hurry to cover the whole world while Oneworld looks more selective at inviting new members. Sounds utopic, but I would have preferred a take over of SN by SQ or NH.
That was my point itami, but I failed to express it as clearly as you have above!

I appreciate everyone's comments. I know that there are Star Alliance members like Austrian, Singapore, Thai who all offer excellent products, but I don't think that the Alliance as a whole offers the consistency of service which you'd expect from OneWorld. SAS/BMI/Egyptair/Air India aren't to the same standard as Lufthansa (in my mind) who I don't think match the higher standards of Austrian/Singapore/Thai.

To tie this back into the topic of this discussion - I see no evidence that SN would be forced to ditch their blight/flex offering to join *A - they COULD comfortably exist as an airline offering the same levels of service as SAS. If they'd joined BA and OneWorld then I think they'd would have HAD to change...