Question on US Airways: Brussels to the US

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
summersso

Question on US Airways: Brussels to the US

Post by summersso »

I'd like to go to New York in February, cheapest flights I've found are US Airways (BRU-PHL-LGA). Flights are operated by 757-200. I've never flown this airline and know very little about them.

* Has anybody flown US Airways? Are they any good/tolerable?
* Entertainment - I guess there are no PTVs.
* Food: Is the food "decent" enough? Do they serve alcohol in economy? Their website talks about "entrées" rather than meals... interesting.

I'm a little apprehensive about travelling with them but am not sure paying 100euros more to fly Lufthansa is worth it! A summary of what one should expect from this carrier or a link to trip report would be very welcome!

Thanks, SI

Stij

Re: Question on US Airways: Brussels to the US

Post by Stij »

I'll let you know on december 31ste as It travel with them LHR-PHL-RSW-CLT-PHL-BRU. I haven't read the best things about them, but I guess the service is comparable to AA and DL's services on 763: No PTV's exepct on A333 (not flying to BRU), no alcohol for free in Y...

However, as I only booked my ticket thursday evening and only paid 550€, I'll glad to accept those inconveneinces.

If you want to travel in style and confort to NYC, fly Jetairways: non-stop, excellent service...

Cheers,

Stij

Bob_Marcotte

Post by Bob_Marcotte »

Food: I'm guessing the usual meat or pasta option in economy ? Personally, I have very low expectations when it comes to "airline food". I prefer to have a good meal before boarding if possible...

Entertainment: NO ptv's

Just some random thoughts and questions:

1) Wow, is USair THAT much cheaper than any of the direct flights to the NYC area (DL, AA, CO, 9W) ?

2) If it's cheaper with a stop somewhere, I'd rather go for one that doesn't require me to pick up my bags (LH via FRA, MUC, LX via ZRH, BA via LHR, KL via AMS,...)

in short: It would have to be a whole lot cheaper in order for me to even consider flying USair to NYC

3) Don't forget the winter coat, cap and scarf --> New York in February will be freeeeeeezzzing cold :mrgreen:

PHL weather won't be any better, another reason why I wouldn't want to stop there first... :twisted:

4) 100 euro price difference between US / LH ? I'd go with LH...

5) Any chance of a trip report?

Grtz,

Bob

summersso

Post by summersso »

Thanks Stij and Bob for your comments. The price on US Airways is 346euros return, Lufthansa are around 440euros - last week of February.

If I do go, they'll certainly be a trip report...

In ten days I've a much more exciting trip planned - BA to Buenos Aires, LAN and Aerolineas flights around Argentina and Chile, returning to Brussels with LAN and AA via JFK... if I've time I'll write a comprehensive report on that experience!

NCB

Post by NCB »

I accumulated 4 transatlatic trips with US this year BRU-PHL.
2 times on B752 and 2 times on B762ER.

I hate wasting money on 7 hour trips and I hate overcongested airports (PHL is not one of them) so US is a nice option.

Food out of BRU usually tastes good, out of PHL food does not taste well but there's a nice and cheap Chinese fast food near the gates at PHL, so I usually get myself a meal before any trip back to BRU.

On the last trip PHL-BRU, we were downgraded from B762 to B752, as a result the aircraft was packed top to bottom and not really comfortable but seat pitch is excellent on the B752 so I did get some sleep.
No PTVs but you do get 1 or 2 movies on the lil' screens.

US Airways Express on another hand is a bit more chaotic.
In the event of cancelled flights outside PHL or BRU you will not be given hotel accommodation so be aware.
Also, as soon as there's delays into or out of PHL, the first flights to be delayed are the Express flights, so keep that in mind. Keep at least 3 hours transit time in PHL (flights usually depart around 9pm so plan your flight to arrive at PHL before 6pm) when heading back eastbound, not so much for the transit as you can easily get from F gates to A gates in less than 10 minutes, but because a single ridge of storm cells can delay your feeding to PHL significantly. Add to that, at the end of the day, the crews get close to their operational time limit, with all consequences.

Service-wise, if you don't expect the stewardess to sit on your lap, you'll be fine.
Smiles are not often included but that's the same at the supermarkets nowadays.
It looks like some cabin crew are doing BRU-PHL often as I have seen familiar faces several times.

Stij

Post by Stij »

NCB wrote:...out of PHL food does not taste well but there's a nice and cheap Chinese fast food near the gates at PHL, so I usually get myself a meal before any trip back to BRU.
And as the flight departs 9:20pm, I prefer to have dinner before and just try to sleep once on the plane!!!

Chinese it is!!! Thanks for the tip!

BTW, do you know if PHL is already ESTA compliant?

Cheers,

Stij

ups 747

Post by ups 747 »

hi
you should try connections. they work wit§h 9w, great indian food on board
grtz

Ducatibiker

Post by Ducatibiker »

ESTA are mandatory after January 12. You can apply on line and it takes seconds to get the form with the approval code. And you will be required to show the form at check in in BRU.

By the way, United has very cheap fares to the East Coast, if you book through their Belgian web site. I have flown their 777 several times this year and always enjoyed the flight.

summersso

Post by summersso »

Ducatibiker wrote:ESTA are mandatory after January 12. You can apply on line and it takes seconds to get the form with the approval code. And you will be required to show the form at check in in BRU.
You will HAVE to show it at check in? After applying for the ESTA approval (a one-off, mine's valid until 2010 I think..) it says explicitly that you do NOT need to print off or have it when entering the US - details are logged on their systems.

United 777's have PTV yes? It's the 9hour outward flight I need a distraction! Return of course I sleep... :)

As I think I said earlier all other carriers are coming out around 100euros more that US Airways around the last week of Feb, and I'm coming round to the view, shared by NCB, that spending more than necessary on a "short" seven hour flight is a waste. My routing will actually be BRU-NYC, BOS-BRU, so Jet is ruled out....!

Ducatibiker

Post by Ducatibiker »

ESTA approval only authorizes a traveler to board a carrier for travel to the U.S. under the VWP. So I would definitively have a copy for security at check-in, just in case...They already ask you to see a printed itinerary...which is also in the airline's system. A waste of paper but I won't argue with them

Yes, there is a personal video screen

Stij

Post by Stij »

Ducatibiker wrote:ESTA approval only authorizes a traveler to board a carrier for travel to the U.S. under the VWP. So I would definitively have a copy for security at check-in, just in case...They already ask you to see a printed itinerary...which is also in the airline's system. A waste of paper but I won't argue with them

Yes, there is a personal video screen
Even though Esta's website explicitly says you won't be asked to show the printed form, I agree with you Ducatibiker, waste an A4 and save a lot of time and discussions at the airport!!!

The reason I asked if Philadelphia was already Esta compliant was that a friend of mine (Esta compliant) flew a couple of weeks ago UA to IAD and had to fill the green form in again because IAD didn't have Esta yet...

Cheers,

Stij

Stij

Post by Stij »

And here's the trip report on US Airways:

I reserved the following routing about a month upfront for 550€, the main reason for choosing USAirways:

BRU - LHR - PHL - RSW - CLT - PHL - BRU

On tuesdfay the 23/12 around 7:40 I checked in for my flight US5490 (actually BMI) from BRU to LHR Terminal 1. There was no line at checkin and the proces went smooth and friendly as almost always in BRU. Got windowseat 10F and also the boarding passes for later flights.
Passportcontrol went faster then ever as a new counter opened as I arrived there and nobady seemed to notice that.
After buying the obligatory 2kg of Neuhaus for my friends in the US and Breakfast at the seafood island I went true security. Not to big lines there either.
Our flight started boarding and departed 20min late Plane was a A319. Service was only for sale but we arrived punctual in LHR.

Of course I had to pass security in LHR again but contrary to previous experiences, there were almost no lines. Notice that you have to go to the USAirways counter (inside the departure lounge) in LHR to answer the standard security questions, otherwise they will ask you the questions at the extra checkpoint near the US bound gates (as was the case in BRU a couple of years ago). Our flight boarded and departed punctual in LHR. I had seat 11A, as reserved at the time of my reservation. We left the gate 10 minutes early and took off exceptionally fast for LHR.
The flight was a standard US, AA, DL or whatever USA chicken or pasta flight but with Video On Demand on their A333!!! However, the choice in movies is not camparable to JetAirways or KLM and... they had to reboot the system twice and my system was soooooo slooooooow. But OK, I managed to see one movie and some cartoons.
Crew was friendly, alcohol for sale at 7$ of 5€.
Arrival in PHL was 15 minutes early.

After clearing border control (so fast my bags weren't even on the belt) and customs I rechecked my bags as usual, no lines there either. But then the line for security was enormous, however it moved fast enough so that I had time for a burger and a Coors Light at TGIF before my connection to RSW left (A small traditon I keep alive!)
The burger adn beer tradition comes in handy befor a US interior flight as no food is served or sold and drinks, even soda's are for sale.
Our flight as completely full but we departed pretty punctual and arrived puntual in RSW. My seat was 23F on a 734.

After a week in paradise it was unfortunatly time to go back home. I had seating reservation made at the moment of buying the ticket and checked in online.

Uopn arrival in RSW checked in my bags myself. The system was a bit confusing as it said to enter your CC, but it actually needed to scan my boarding pass. Anyhow, a friendly assistant helped my out in time and fo we went.
First flight US994 was to CLT on a 319, seat 12A, punctual departure and arrival, nothimg to mention execpt for the funny and exceptionally friendly crew. Flight was fully booked

Next was my flight US886 to PHL, also on a 319, seat 14A, punctual departure and arrival, nothimg to mention. Flight was also fully booked.

Next and final flight was US750 to BRU. Before you can board you have to show your passport at the gate. Even before the gate was open you could have your passport stamped. As I handed over my passport I asked if upgrades were for sale. The answer was yes, for 500$. I decided not to upgrade. However, as I saw the lounge filling up and noted all the kids that had to board, I started to reconsider my decision: Not buing the upgrade and regretting not having done so for 7 and a half hours or buying the upgrade and regretting it unill I emtied the first glass of champagne. Though choice!!! Yes, I entered the line again and bought myself the upgrade. Seat 1G (window seat) was assigned! Plane as a 762.

Well, all of a sudden boarding went much more smoother then normal. The seat was not a lie flat but was long enough and almost lie flat. Two glasses of champagne before take-off made the to regret the 500$ a lot shorter. Before take-off they enquired what I wanted as a cocktail after take-off, a Gin&Tonic it was. After take-off the GT was served including the second small bottle Gin. The starter was a french salad with condiments of choice (palm hearts, grilled paprika's, seeds and croutons). Although simple, it actually tasted nice. For the main course the choice was between filet mognon, crabcakes and some poultry. I decided to go for the filet mignon. It was served with to shrimps on top (almost a surf and turf) I decided to skip desert as I actually paid the 500$ to sleep. I slept!!! An hour before landing breakfast was served, it was some pastry and some yoghurt with frenchh and dried fruits, again simple but tasty. Service was friendly, appartently the crew was looking forward to spend new-year's eve in BRU, some even brought their husbands on the plane. We arrived punctual in Brussels, but had to wait for AA's 763 to clear the gate.

Conclusion:

I experienced USAirways to be on the same level as other US Carrier. The only difference being that they charge 2$ for non-alcoholic drinks on domestic flights. However, if you don't have a direct flight to your final destination, consider them as changing is waaaaay easier and more reliable in PHL then it is in JFK, EWR or ORD. They seem to be cheaper also, the difference being big enough for you to pay the 2$ on the domestic flights.

The upgrade thing: I would never pay 3000€ of more for business class, neither am I interested in business class for daytime flights, but when I can upgrade for 500$ for a nightflight over the ocean, count me in!

That's all folks!!!

Stij

P.S. For member summersso: If you didn't book already: you'll not notice the difference between them and anu other US Carrier. However, if you can get a rate that's not much more expensive on JetAirways, fly them! Plus, if you don't have to make a connection, you can't miss it either!

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Very nice report. I agree with you that 500$ is not a lot for an upgrade to an excellent business class transatlantic night flight.
André
ex Sabena #26567

MSS658

Post by MSS658 »

Nice report on US Airways. I flew them in 2007 from AMS to ATL (via PHL). Unafortunaly my flight ATL-PHL got cancelled and made me fly direct to AMS.