ADS-B receiver

A forum to discuss all aviation items (not for latest aviation news and military aviation news)

Moderator: Latest news team

luchtzak

ADS-B receiver

Post by luchtzak »

Somebody has more information on a ADS-B receiver, is it allowed to use it in Belgium ?

concordino

Re: ADS-B receiver

Post by concordino »

There are 2 receivers on the market today

1. Kinetic SBS-1e http://www.kinetic-avionics.com/index.php

2. Airnav Radarbox http://www.airnavsystems.com/RadarBox/index.html

They are both excellent pieces of kit and it is personal preference (and maybe price) which will dictate which you decide on.

As to legality - who knows? These machines are not scanners as only one frequency is monitored and the police and emergency services cannot be "listened" to. After over 4 years in operation I have yet to hear of anyone having problems with their "computer add-ons" anywhere in the world (even in the US), with even airport security showing no interest.

I would imagine that there are quite a few operators in Belgium, some who post logs regularly on internet forums.

Get someone to give you a demo but beware they are addictive!

C

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers »

ISTR one WILOO member or addict was convicted for illegally listening to ATC - and the judgement was based on the privacy of communications ("briefgeheim"). So I suppose that theoretically it is illegal in Belgium. In practice it seems to me you can never get in problems when using such apparatus in a private place. But if I had one I'd never use it in the car or in public space, just to be careful. Better safe than sorry!

NimbusFlyer

Post by NimbusFlyer »

An ADS-B receiver has nothing to do with listening to ATC, an ADS-B receiver sometimes is referred to as a “poor man’s TCAS”. Despite the VFR-principle "see and avoid" about 20 collisions take place each year in the General Aviation.

Although ADS-B is not yet commonly used in general aviation, it is already widely spread in the gliding community. Mostly used in Europe is FLARM. About 80% of all gliders, towplanes and motorgliders in Europe are already equipped with FLARM, in Belgium about 60 to 70%, in Germany almost every glider. In Austria and Switzerland FLARM is not only used in gliding and general aviation but even in all rescue aircraft.

It does not only provide traffic information and collision warnings with other aircraft equipped with FLARM but it has also a built-in database with all obstacles like, antennas, high-tension power lines and ski lifts. FLARM is EASA approved and works flawless. It costs about 650€, cheapest investment in safety these days.

Brgds.

jan_olieslagers

From a technical point of view you must certainly be right, NimbusFlyer, it is obvious you are much better acquainted than my poor self. Our beloved webmaster's question was not at a technical level, however, but rather legal. And I do have some experience of our Belgian justice: do NOT thrust them to discern technical subtleties! Faced with a technical issue little understood, our judges will continue the line of a previous judgement, however ill applied to the present case.

NimbusFlyer

Post by NimbusFlyer »

The answer to the legal issue was also my answer, although maybe a little bit hidden: some ADS-B receivers like FLARM are EASA certified. No aircraft in Europe would receive its EASA CofA if it was equipped with a something that is not EASA approved. So, yes, ADS-B's are legal in Belgium if EASA certified.

Propwash

Post by Propwash »

The systems mentioned by Luchtzak ;) are 'ground' receivers (no transmission or interrogation) ONLY.

The EASA is NOT involved, the receivers must meet the CE requirements ONLY.

Legislation:
The Belgocontrol management doesn't like 'foreigners' to listen or watch in their kitchen.

Even if you have all the qualifications (Pilot - IR and foreign authorization to install, alter or modify aviation handheld VHF transceivers) you're 'officially' NOT allowed to listen outside the cockpit/flight deck.

In other words, in Belgium it's illegal - forbidden - verboten to listen (schending briefgeheim) .....

Knowing that Astrid Pagers are illegal - forbidden - verboten, I think it's the same with ADS-B Receivers.
If caught(?), you'll be prosecuted for SPYONAGE.

My 2 cents
Last edited by Propwash on 17 Nov 2009, 07:20, edited 1 time in total.

jan_olieslagers

NimbusFlyer wrote:The answer to the legal issue was also my answer, although maybe a little bit hidden: some ADS-B receivers like FLARM are EASA certified. No aircraft in Europe would receive its EASA CofA if it was equipped with a something that is not EASA approved. So, yes, ADS-B's are legal in Belgium if EASA certified.
The operator must also be certified. And the equipment must not only be certified, it must also be registered, and it can only be registered to a certified operator. I should know: I am passing the exam tomorrow.

Propwash

Post by Propwash »

jan_olieslagers wrote:I should know: I am passing the exam tomorrow.
Have Fun :mrgreen:

concordino

Post by concordino »

And now there is to be a 3rd contender (due for launch in Jan 2010)

http://www.auroraeurotech.com/avionics/

Do you remember the days when spotting consisted of only a pen and paper and a pair of 8x30 binoculars - those were the days!!

C

Tomskii

Post by Tomskii »

Sorry to bump this up, what are good pieces of software to use with any ads-b receiver?

KriVa

Post by KriVa »

Depends on the receiver you're using, or thinking of using.
In general, Basestation is very good for the Kinetic products, and Planeplotter is very good in general.
Thomas

Tomskii

Post by Tomskii »

KriVa wrote:Depends on the receiver you're using, or thinking of using.
In general, Basestation is very good for the Kinetic products, and Planeplotter is very good in general.
Have ordered the Bulgarian Micro ADS-B since I live not far from the airport and I would mainly use it with my scanner around the airport to check the planes.

PP is one I have heard multiple times as well, just not really fond of the fact that I cannot find a good sector file for it of Belgium. (Who the hell uses JPEG's anyways as maps..)

EDIT: Unless someone has a good chart of Belgium that he uses with PP that he would send to me?