No fly-zones above Belgium

A forum to discuss all aviation items (not for latest aviation news and military aviation news)

Moderator: Latest news team

torchus

No fly-zones above Belgium

Post by torchus »

Hi,

As an inhabitant of the Antwerpse Kempen (region Mol), I noticed that the flights into BRU coming from the north (CPH, RIX, HEL, ARN) do not follow the easiest route (Eindhoven - Mol - Westerlo - Aarschot) but often make a broad turn around the Mol region, and so rather follow the path Turnhout - Herentals - Aarschot. This is the same for planes taking off or landing EIN airport, these also seem to avoid the Mol region.

Is this because of the Mol-Dessel nuclear site that is a no-fly zone for low-flying (<3-4 km) planes ? At least that is what my parents always told me.

I know there is a no-fly zone above the royal palace in Laken (hence the difficult 07L approach in BRU, does this also apply for high overflying planes?), but are there also any other no fly-zones above Belgium ? I studied the casper.frontier.nl radar now for a while, and some flypaths of low-flying planes are really remarkable.

May be an awkward question, but interesting for me though. Would love to see some more planes over here. ;)

sdbelgium

Re: No fly-zones above Belgium

Post by sdbelgium »

torchus wrote:I know there is a no-fly zone above the royal palace in Laken (hence the difficult 07L approach in BRU), but are there also any other no fly-zones above Belgium ?
Yes, there are plenty of prohibited flying zones in Belgium. Too much to name them all, actually. Just have a look at VFR map if you have the chance, you will see that quite a few areas may not be flown into.

If you have access to the Belgian AIP: you can consult the following link.
http://www.belgocontrol.be/website/eaip ... ml#ENR-5.1

Some examples if you have no access (all in varying parameters such as times, occasions or heights):
  • Brussels city
  • The royal estate
  • Helchteren
  • Florennes
  • Kleine-Brogel
  • Koksijde
  • Lombardszijde
  • Sankt Vit
  • Beverlo
  • Zutendaal
  • etc

regi

Post by regi »

Sankt Vith as well? Why ? And Elsenborn where they shoot with mortars, is it also in the list?

sdbelgium

Post by sdbelgium »

regi wrote:Sankt Vith as well? Why ?
Sankt Vith is listed as a CAS training area. It has a remark that says: "(1) Announced by NOTAM. May be active MON, 1230-1600; TUE to THU, 0830-1100 and 1230-1600; FRI, 0830-1100."
regi wrote:And Elsenborn where they shoot with mortars, is it also in the list?
Yes, it is. But while Sankt Vith is a prohibited area, Elsenborn is a danger area. Reason: "Gunnery area and destruction centre of explosives. Air exercises."

torchus

Post by torchus »

Does the term no fly-zone only applies for (relatively) low overflying planes or also for planes at cruising altitude (>30k ft) ?

Could you check the list to see if Mol-Dessel is on it ?

sdbelgium

Post by sdbelgium »

torchus wrote:Does the term no fly-zone only applies for (relatively) low overflying planes or also for planes at cruising altitude (>30k ft) ?
It's mostly just a few thousand feet (let's say 4500ft will get you in a safe area in most of the places), but some are up to as high as FL240.
torchus wrote:Could you check the list to see if Mol-Dessel is on it ?
Couldn't find it at first glance, I don't think it's on the list, actually.