Qatar airways Cabin crew recruitment BRU

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
lufti

Qatar airways Cabin crew recruitment BRU

Post by lufti »

Zorba

Re: Qatar airways Cabin crew recruitment BRU

Post by Zorba »

Just to make sure: Is this for a job at the hub in BRU or Qatar?
Tot hier en verder

Air Key West

Post by Air Key West »

The answer is in the fifth indent under Cabin Crew Requirements.
In favor of quality air travel.

regi

Post by regi »

1579 $ tax free, relocation to Doha, free accomodation with shared facilities ( but with own bedroom, thank you !)
Doing a bit calculation, this is the NET salary that a junior sales person earned in Belgium in...1990 ( without the bonus end of the year, free company car also in weekends, 13th month, holiday pay, pension plan, daily allowance for travelling and maybe some other bits I might have forgotten. Medical insurance is compulsory in Belgium )
OK, things have changed for example the exchange rate of the dollar.

But to be honnest: which Belgian would want to lose time by working for a salary that has no benefits? Carreer opportunities are not very bright as a cabin crew person.

I do have my doubts about the comprehensive medical coverage. Probably just in Doha? And what is covered ?
The use of the word comprehensive instead of full says enough.

Family who worked as cabin crew for Emirates 8 years ago had better conditions. Even an own appartment, not a semi student dormitory style of housing.

I know it is difficult to make a financial comparison. But I doubt that many unemployed young inhabitants of Brussels will attend the job fair. It starts already with the demand for a high school degree and the ability to be fluent in English. Sorry, not in Brussels. Again a missed opportunity for this lost generation.
And when some would pass the initial test, I suppose that every future cabin crew member will have to undergo drugs test - also for marihuana use. This is something that many youngsters are unaware about. Before somebody gets angry at me, this is a general remark about the attitude of Belgian youngsters to the non-implementation of the soft drugs legislation in Belgium. It is forbidden, but as long as you don't drive, nobody bothers. Untill you are asked to pee in a cup. "Oh, I didn't know that" :o

I bet that we will see appear in the cabin eastern European young people from Poland, the Baltics, Rumania etcetera.

Shanti

Post by Shanti »

I don't think that the salary for belgian cabin crew members are better.

BrightCedars

Post by BrightCedars »

1579$, that's less than 1100€ at today's rate, isn't that less than the minimum wage in Belgium?
Heck, I bet some make more than this on unemployment benefit!

Who in their right mind would move to the desert and have a no life as inflight slave for this little money?

I'm sure this is attractive for young Thais, Philippinos and Indonesians but for young Belgians?!
Maybe as a first experience but I doubt they'd do it for long unless there is a good career perspective.

I think Belgian crew's salary are in the 1500-2000€+ range depending employer and experience.

tolipanebas

Post by tolipanebas »

Looking at the whole package, I'd say that is indeed not a very generous offer, to say the least!
Maybe QR should look at the map first and realise BRU is not in Eastern Europe!?

Knowing QR (as well as other middle eastern airlines) make different offers depending the ethnic origin of the workers they look for, I think they have wrongly informed themselves here! The salary itself is indeed roughly comparible to what new cabin crew will earn as starting salary at a Belgian network airline, yet at QR it is inclusive of flight pay(!). Other than a destination dependant meal allowance, don't expect anything on top of the salary, whereas here in Belgium per diems mean almost a second salary in fact... Quite a difference at the end of the month, i should say.

This and the fact that you are not building up any state pension rights (they do not talk about a private pension plan since this is only a 3 year contract), and it is clear that the only ones who'll sign up to this, are young people who want to do this as an adventure: this is not a carrier offer, for sure...

Can't imagine them to have many candidates really.

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers »

On a general note, we Westerners have for long been very high on the scale of material wealth, if not at the top. And we still take it for granted that this will automatically remain so.

But it won't. With the level of education rising in second-world countries, some of which are highly populated, and the iron curtain lifted to allow open trade between Western and Eastern Europe - where salary differences are still huge - there is a massive influx of well-trained young candidates for high-level jobs.

For one example: a major IT service organisation with whom I collaborate have recently moved some operations from Zaragoza to Sofia. The people in Sofia speak better English, are better at the job, and cost only half as much as those in Zaragoza. And for jobs like mine, people in Sofia are happy to accept one third of my rate. Enough said?

Belgian youngsters had better NOT turn their noses at the proposed salaries. Soon enough, they might be glad to have such a job - provided we become less generous on unemployment money. The standards of living are artificially high, in the "first" world, they can only come down.
Last edited by jan_olieslagers on 26 Aug 2011, 10:24, edited 1 time in total.

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers »

this is not a carrier offer
I suppose that should read career offer?
If you really must commit typo's, at least make them obvious.

BrightCedars

Post by BrightCedars »

Jan, I think we're veering off topic here but to I'm sure the Belgian economy could be much more competitive and attractive with a different social model. There are just too much taxes and too much overhead.

tolipanebas

Post by tolipanebas »

jan_olieslagers wrote:
this is not a carrier offer
I suppose that should read career offer?
Yes indeed. A spelling mistake can happen, or do you never make one? :?
jan_olieslagers wrote:If you really must commit typo's, at least make them obvious.
:?: :?: :?:

Happen to have a particular problem with what I wrote or something?

Sorry for pointing out the simple truth QR's offer is nowhere near as good as you can get here in BRU for doing basically the same all without having to move halfway around the globe only to live in a dorm for the next 3 years!

regi

Post by regi »

If you pay cheap, you get cheap.
( and not sheep, Jan :) )

Air Key West

Post by Air Key West »

or...if you pay peanuts, you don't get sheep, but you get monkeys.
In favor of quality air travel.