Thai flights BRU-BKK-PHN, return KBV-BKK-BRU

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
rix

Thai flights BRU-BKK-PHN, return KBV-BKK-BRU

Post by rix »

This is more a feedback on some recent TG flights than a real trip report. A forum member requested some impressions of TG flights, and since the route has been in operation for only 2 months, I thought more members might be interested. So apologies for the lack of detailed info and photos.

It all began in mid July 2011, when TG published a "Brussels Special". Besides offering BRU-BKK return for €767 they had several interesting fares to other destinations in the Asia Pacific region. Among the conditions I noticed "up to 2 stopovers in Bangkok is allowed; 1 in each direction" which got me dreaming and planning 8-) On 26 July I purchased the following tickets for € 943: BRU-BKK-PHN, KBV-BKK, then BKK-BRU.

- Before the flight I requested a special meal by e-mail to TG Brussels, and also asked to modify my girlfriend's M&M card number (made a mistake when booking online and I had no way of modifying it). Received prompt confirmation by e-mail the next day.

Now regarding the 4 flights:

TG935 - Brussels to Bangkok
Thursday, December 15, 2011
Depart BRU:13:30 / Arrive BKK: 06:20 +1 day(s)
Aircraft:Boeing: 777-200/300
Our TG bird
Our TG bird
- Nice welcome on board with a "sawadika" and graceful hand greeting by the FA. The colorful seats created a warm feeling.
- In Economy load was about 95%, and we were lucky to have 3 seats by the window to ourselves. I was happy with the leg room (with the seat in front fully reclined, I still had some space between my knees)
- The FA distributed earphones and the menu, as well as hot towels. Then drinks service, with quite limited choice.
Menu and earphones
Menu and earphones
- Lunch service followed. My girlfriend was among the 1st to be served because of the veggie meal request. This also means that she had to wait 20 minutes to receive a drink. There were 2 options for the main: chicken or pork. I picked chicken like most other passengers before me, because 1 row later they ran out of chicken. The lunch was a disappointment, with a totally bland chicken dish with potatoes
- Toilet was clean. I requested a toothbrush and socks from a FA. Received the toothbrush (and toothpaste) but he informed me that they do not provide socks (in contradiction to what their web site says" toothbrush, eye shades, comfort socks and ear plugs are also available on request.") :(
- 2 hours before landing, a breakfast was served, which was quite basic (don't remember much about it and didn't eat much - had to buy a sandwich from Subway soon after arriving at BKK)
- The orchid flower distributed before landing to the lady passengers. As my girlfriend said: "That's so sweet" :D

TG580 - Bangkok to Phnom Penh
Friday, December 16, 2011
Depart BKK:07:45 / Arrive PHN:09:00
Aircraft: 737-400
- Short pleasant flight in a rather old plane. Clear skies allowed me to enjoy the view underneath.
- Strange behavior from a FA, who insisted on sitting in a specific aisle seat that had been assigned to a passenger. Although the aisle seat opposite was vacant, the FA insisted on having "his" seat
- Meal box was quite good (for such a short flight) with tuna sandwich, tropical fruits, juice and yogurt

TG242 - Krabi to Bangkok
Sunday, January 01, 2012
Depart KBV: 10:10 / Arrive BKK:11:30
Aircraft: A300-600/600C
- Nothing special that I recall about this flight, other than had it not been for the pathetic tiny sandwich wrapped in plastic cling film and half a glass of water, and the free baggage check-in, it could have been a low-cost flight

TG934 - Bangkok to Brussels
Thursday, January 05, 2012
Depart BKK: 00:30 / Arrive BRU: 07:00 Actual arrival: approx 08:00
Aircraft: 777-200/300

- At BKK, TG's check-in area was chaotic and there were huge queues. We had about 5 kg extra luggage weight and the check-in staff did not even care. Officially, they charge €61 per excess kilo for BKK-BRU :shock:
Check-in at BKK
Check-in at BKK
Vacations over. Destination: BRU
Vacations over. Destination: BRU
Pre-boarding waiting area
Pre-boarding waiting area
- After boarding, the Captain announced that due to New Year's travels, the Afghan air space was experiencing very heavy traffic and we had to wait for a while. Pull back began at 01:40
- Food was better than on the BRU-BKK flight. The hot food was nicely seasoned with some Thai spices, although the drinks service was quite stingy (barely 2 sips of red wine). Breakfast served at around 05:00 Brussels time was pretty good, with 2 servings of bread and hot drinks.
- We landed in BRU at approximately 0800, and waiting for the luggage took incredibly long (around 40 minutes!)

To conclude:

Overall, TG failed to live to what I was expecting. Perhaps my expectations were too high, thanks to their "smooth as silk" ads that I have seen for years now is some of my favorite magazines, or may be it was the Skytrax's 4 stars and the award for "best economy class catering" ? Perhaps I was spoiled by QR's inflight service and dining on my last trip to East Asia. Not that it was so bad - far from that. I would describe the service and meals as similar to those on AF flights to Africa, but with more smiles

Regarding my M&M miles, only the BRU-BKK miles were credited. Two weeks later, I had to make a claim for the missing miles for the other 3 flights.

Would I fly with TG to BKK again ? Well, let's say that I would spend maximum €100 more than QR or EY fares to avoid the stopover in the MidEast. With these carriers' regular promotions, and an eventual rise in TG's fares, TG could as well forget me as a customer. Anyway, a direct flight is always convenient, and the timing of the return flight to BRU is practical for those who need to be at work in the morning like me.

sn26567

Re: Thai flights BRU-BKK-PHN, return KBV-BKK-BRU

Post by sn26567 »

Thanks for sharing your experience, the first report on the new Thai flights to/from BRU if I'm right.

It seems that I had a much better experience on my FRA-BKK-HKT and v/v flights in 2000.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Stij

Post by Stij »

And that member says thank-you and promises to post his trip report when he's back!

Greetz,

Stij

regi

Post by regi »

seating was 3+3+3 ?

Stij

Post by Stij »

regi wrote:seating was 3+3+3 ?
According to TG's website all the 772 are 3+3+3...

Greetz,

Stij

chineseboy

Post by chineseboy »

thanks for the report Rix, as i'am a fan of thai Airways.

how was the load on the BKK - BRU section? seems quit light if I see the people in the waiting area

but i'am happy the load on the BRU - BKK is good, maybe we will get a daily flight in the near future...