BRU summer 2014: latest news, routes, airlines

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

sean1982

Re: BRU summer 2014: latest news, routes, airlines

Post by sean1982 »

lumumba wrote:What do you mean?
That BRU is quite small compared to what is laying around us. There is not that much traffic, a lot of tourist flights, so ,up till now it seems, not very interesting for Emirates. Not quite sure what made them decide to come to BRU now though. The situation hasn't really changed in the last 5 years.

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

crew1990 wrote:Vueling opening a base, Easyjet opening 3 new routes, Ryanair having some plan for BRU and now Emirates asking for slots... Now, I'm really starting to be scared for SN! :-(
Emirates is not of that much of a treath for SN. Turkish is probably a bigger one, they have a more convenient Africa offer that can compete with SN's network. Though Emirates is not good for the Asian Star offer to/from Brussels, this reduces the chances of SQ returning to BRU for example. But with SQ holding back that much for years already, maybe it's not that bad for BRU maybe

crew1990

Post by crew1990 »

With the actual network of SN this is not a problem, but If one day SN would like to take over the flight of Jet Airways to India if there are leaving, or if SN want to fly to china or Tokyo there will be a problem then. Even on some route to the East cost of Africa or Johanesbourg.

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

sean1982 wrote:
Not quite sure what made them decide to come to BRU now though. The situation hasn't really changed in the last 5 years.
Emirates may be seeing how competitors like Qatar and Etihad do well at BRU and thus feel the need to include BRU in their offer too?

Nothing has changed to BRU's notoriously high fees and taxes and yet ryanair will now also base a few planes there, so it's a bit the same situation to make a link between the 2 cases, if you don't mind?

crew1990

Post by crew1990 »

Here it is, the Brussels - Zaventem is on the map of Ryanair, but only one route as planed, Rome.

b720

Post by b720 »

SN will neither fly to asia, nor India. We are not even sure they will be in business at all this time next year.
Great that EK is flying to BRU. There is traffic to Dubai besides transfer to Asia..Business, leisure, etc.. and a growing number of Belgians is actually living in Dubai.

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

Inquirer wrote:
sean1982 wrote:
Not quite sure what made them decide to come to BRU now though. The situation hasn't really changed in the last 5 years.
Emirates may be seeing how competitors like Qatar and Etihad do well at BRU and thus feel the need to include BRU in their offer too?

Nothing has changed to BRU's notoriously high fees and taxes and yet ryanair will now also base a few planes there, so it's a bit the same situation to make a link between the 2 cases, if you don't mind?
Sure I can see the link. Like I said yesterday ... Gatwick could be a very good example of what BRU can be within the next 5 years, rather then focusing on 1 customer and alliance and treat the rest like "they are not really welcome here, but if we really need to we'll take them"

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

it's already bookable in fact. ;)

There seems to be 2 flights a day from BRU to Roma: one at about 10, and one at about 20 o' clock.

prices seem very 'unryanair' I must say: well over 100 euro return, without luggage or seat option, but of course, that was to be expected; the same phenomenon could be observed at vueling too.

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

bookable where? The ryanair website does not show destinations at the booking stage yet for me?

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

Well, I am looking at it right now, sean?!
I would post a screenshot, but I am not allowed (no administrator rights on this PC, so unable to store it)
Just go to the ryanair website, select routemap, and then the booking engine does give you the option of BRU, which it won't if you try the booking engine on the homepage itself...
Did I just discover a loophole? ;)

I see flights start on the 27th of Feb and are twice daily.

A pricequote for a weekend Roma (the first weekend after the launch) shows me this:
flight to FCO on saturdaymorning, March, 1st: 143;99
return to BRU on mondayevening, March, 3rd: 69.99
not exactly a bargain fare, I should think, but okay, it's competitive, although the hard product of ryanair still requires you to book luggage etc , so I don't know if at say 500 euro for a couple of 2, this is still what most people understand under a Low Cost ticket for a short city break?
Last edited by Inquirer on 27 Nov 2013, 11:22, edited 2 times in total.

kleineboy

Post by kleineboy »

10 new Ryanair routes for Brussels Airport

http://www.ryanair.com/en/news/ryanair- ... m-feb-2014

Alicante, Barcelona, Ibiza, Lisbon, Malaga, Palma, Porto, Rome, Valencia & Venice

eurojet

Post by eurojet »

Also on airliners.net> Emirates as of 01/08/2014 daily BRU with B77W:

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forum ... 81942/1/#1

The heat is on !

SabenaForever

Post by SabenaForever »

So BRU will be bombed with new routes in 2014:

- Vueling: Rome, Lisbon, Palma de Mallorca, Ibiza, Venice, Porto, Santiago de Compostela
- EasyJet: Bordeaux, Naples, Londen-Gatwick
- Ryanair: Alicante, Barcelona, Ibiza, Lisbon, Malaga, Palma de Mallorca, Porto, Rome, Venice, Valencia
- Brussels Airlines: Ajaccio, Athens, Bastia, Figari
- Jetairfly: Miami, Tel-Aviv
- US Airways: Charlotte
- BMI Regional: Newcastle Upon Tyle
- Turkish Airlines: Istanbul- Sabiha Gokcen
- SunExpress: Izmir
- Emirates: Dubai ???

And maybe still some to come....

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

awesome ... go BRU!

chineseboy

Post by chineseboy »

SabenaForever wrote:So BRU will be bombed with new routes in 2014:

- Vueling: Rome, Lisbon, Palma de Mallorca, Ibiza, Venice, Porto, Santiago de Compostela
- Ryanair: Alicante, Barcelona, Ibiza, Lisbon, Malaga, Palma de Mallorca, Porto, Rome, Venice, Valencia

indeed awesome news of Emirates ! the 3 big Gulfcarriers at BRU ! Eat this AMS :)
maybe in the Future a A380 at BRU ? ( where they all going to send their new A380's ? )

Bralo20

Post by Bralo20 »

chineseboy wrote: maybe in the Future a A380 at BRU ? ( where they all going to send their new A380's ? )
BRU isn't A380 ready... It can receive the A380 during diversions or so but it can't connect to the airbridges so embarking and deplaning has to be done by stairs. Don't think there are any rumours about making the necessary changes to be able to receive the A380 on a regular base.

LJ

Post by LJ »

chineseboy wrote: indeed awesome news of Emirates ! the 3 big Gulfcarriers at BRU ! Eat this AMS :)
maybe in the Future a A380 at BRU ? ( where they all going to send their new A380's ? )
Well, QR has again mentioned it wants to start pax flights to AMS next Summer (like every Summer). Will be interesting what will be first. QR coming to AMS or EK to BRU Though technically speaking AMS already gets all of the ME3 airlines as QR Cargo flies to AMS, just as EK and EY).

Anyway, good for BRU pax numbers (not so good for BRU yields).

chineseboy

Post by chineseboy »

Bralo20 wrote:
chineseboy wrote: maybe in the Future a A380 at BRU ? ( where they all going to send their new A380's ? )
BRU isn't A380 ready... It can receive the A380 during diversions or so but it can't connect to the airbridges so embarking and deplaning has to be done by stairs. Don't think there are any rumours about making the necessary changes to be able to receive the A380 on a regular base.

perhaps is BRU considering to build a A380 pier, or these are one of the terms of Emirates to fly to BRU who knows :)

is there enough market to feed all the 3 gulfcarriers out of BRU ?

chineseboy

Post by chineseboy »

SabenaForever wrote:So BRU will be bombed with new routes in 2014:

anyway it's a pitty there's no new non-stop flight out of Asia

theeuropean

Post by theeuropean »