Airlines still flying over Iraq (and Syria)

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

capetown

Airlines still flying over Iraq (and Syria)

Post by capetown »

Hi all,

allthough I have not seen any post on this (or on other forums), it seems (when looking at Flightradar24) that QR has finally followed EK's move to avoid flying over the conflict zones in Iraq. All flights to Europe (both inbound and outbound) seem to fly over either Iran (central, eastern and northern Europe), or KSA/Saudi - Arabia (southern Europe). EY made a similar decision a couple of days ago , posted here viewtopic.php?f=7&t=54169&p=303770#p303782
It now looks as if most major airlines avoid Iraqi airspace (except for flights from / to Iraq itself) ; one exception seems to be TK, which (still according to Flightradar24) seems to continue flying over Iraq (and even the IS-held city of Mosul). Another exception is ME (e.g. its DOH-bound flight goes in an almost horizontal line over conflict zones in Syria and then into western Iraq, keeping south of Baghdad though). Are there any other airlines (other than Iraqi Airways) you are aware of that keep flying over Iraq and/or Syria?

Regards,
Capetown

andorra-airport

Re: Airlines still flying over Iraq (and Syria)

Post by andorra-airport »

I looked it up at flightradar24 because I was interested as well. Indeed MEA and Turkish (and Pegasus) keep flying over Iraq. There is not much activity in Iraqi airspace at the moment , 99% fly around the border (Gulf - Europe route) . Now and then there are some strange birds who don't care. Atlasjet Ukraine (!) had no problemo with crossing Syria and North Iraq. Jazeera (Kuwait) takes the short route to Istanbul, and AMC (Egyptian charter) didn't care less as well. And we have of course Syrian Air who flies over Iraq. But again, 99% avoids it. (I didn't mention the airlines who had Iraq as there destination).

Something else :looking at flightradar24 I was amazed how much traffic there was to and from Antalya. It almost looked like LHR !

Passenger

Re: Airlines still flying over Iraq (and Syria)

Post by Passenger »

andorra-airport wrote:I looked it up at flightradar24 because I was interested as well. Indeed MEA and Turkish (and Pegasus) keep flying over Iraq. There is not much activity in Iraqi airspace at the moment , 99% fly around the border (Gulf - Europe route) . Now and then there are some strange birds who don't care. Atlasjet Ukraine (!) had no problemo with crossing Syria and North Iraq. Jazeera (Kuwait) takes the short route to Istanbul, and AMC (Egyptian charter) didn't care less as well. And we have of course Syrian Air who flies over Iraq. But again, 99% avoids it. (I didn't mention the airlines who had Iraq as there destination).
On 8th August, the U.S. FAA issued this NOTAM:

http://www.faa.gov/news/press_releases/ ... wsId=16854

August 8, 2014

The Federal Aviation Administration today issued a new Notice-To-Airmen (NOTAM) restricting US operators from flying in the airspace above Iraq due to the hazardous situation created by the armed conflict. The new NOTAM supersedes previous FAA guidance for this airspace.

The NOTAM reads:

!FDC 4/1621 ZZZ SECURITY …IRAQ … POTENTIALLY HAZARDOUS SITUATION—IRAQ AIRSPACE

DUE TO THE POTENTIALLY HAZARDOUS SITUATION CREATED BY THE ARMED CONFLICT BETWEEN MILITANTS ASSOCIATED WITH THE ISLAMIC STATE IN IRAQ AND THE LEVANT AND IRAQI SECURITY FORCES AND THEIR ALLIES, ALL FLIGHT OPERATIONS IN THE BAGHDAD FLIGHT INFORMATION REGION (ORBB) BY THE PERSONS DESCRIBED IN PARAGRAPH A BELOW ARE PROHIBITED UNTIL FURTHER ADVISED.

A. APPLICABILITY. THIS NOTAM APPLIES TO: ALL U.S. AIR CARRIERS AND COMMERCIAL OPERATORS; ALL PERSONS EXERCISING THE PRIVILEGES OF AN AIRMAN CERTIFICATE ISSUED BY THE FAA, EXCEPT SUCH PERSONS OPERATING U.S.-REGISTERED AIRCRAFT FOR A FOREIGN AIR CARRIER; AND ALL OPERATORS OF AIRCRAFT REGISTERED IN THE UNITED STATES, EXCEPT WHERE THE OPERATOR OF SUCH AIRCRAFT IS A FOREIGN AIR CARRIER.

B. PERMITTED OPERATIONS. THIS NOTAM DOES NOT PROHIBIT PERSONS DESCRIBED IN PARAGRAPH A FROM CONDUCTING FLIGHT OPERATIONS WITHIN THE BAGHDAD FLIGHT INFORMATION REGION (ORBB) WHEN SUCH OPERATIONS ARE AUTHORIZED EITHER BY ANOTHER AGENCY OF THE UNITED STATES GOVERNMENT WITH THE APPROVAL OF THE FAA OR BY A DEVIATION, EXEMPTION, OR OTHER AUTHORIZATION ISSUED BY THE ADMINISTRATOR. OPERATORS SHOULD CALL THE FAA WASHINGTON OPERATIONS CENTER AT 202-267-3333 FOR FAA AUTHORIZATION OF OPERATIONS.

C. EMERGENCY SITUATIONS. IN AN EMERGENCY THAT REQUIRES IMMEDIATE DECISION AND ACTION FOR THE SAFETY OF THE FLIGHT, THE PILOT IN COMMAND OF AN AIRCRAFT MAY DEVIATE FROM THIS NOTAM TO THE EXTENT REQUIRED BY THAT EMERGENCY.

THE PROHIBITION ON OPERATIONS IN THE AIRSPACE SPECIFIED IN THIS NOTAM AND THE ASSOCIATED JUSTIFICATION FOR THIS SPECIAL NOTICE WILL BE RE-EVALUATED BY 31 DEC 2014.

1408081415-1412312359EST