ANA from NRT to BRU as from winter season 2015

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

asianlao02

Re: ANA from NRT to BRU as from winter season 2015

Post by asianlao02 »

Inquirer wrote:If that news about the Paris cancellation gets confirmed, it is indeed likely that the BRU route gets a daily frequency and it really shows that there has been a coordinated effort from both the airport AND Brussels Airlines to convince ANA to move their flight from Paris to BRU: connectivity will likely have played a big role then in convincing them to come to BRU and do so in full force.

I agree with Flanker: the evening schedule needn't be such a big problem.
Its not like US to Africa or TLV to Africa connections are to be called short either, right now?
And the EU connections will be very plenty too then.

As to the Sabena schedule, I can help you out with that one:
It departed Tokyo 1140AM, arriving in BRU 1720PM (so no African connections at all possible) 5 times weekly.
(still have their last time table as a memorabilia from when I was plane spotting at steenokkerzeel and there were no iPhones with flightradar on it, yet ;))

I am guessing that this time round, based on comments from people in the know and what seems technically possible if indeed they are correct, its going to be a daily evening flight!?
That would also match the initial tweet from BRU, which got removed again because the news about the CDG cancellation wasnt officially confirmed yet, and so they spoke before their turn...

Would they use a 787, or go for something bigger?
Remember the plane type isn't confirmed either, so they might surprise us even more than they already did with first this launch itself and then the fact it may very well be a daily flight indeed!
and this is why the'll connect BRU this year. It's logical indeed :-)

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

Not only is it logical now that the full picture emerges, it may also turn out to be a new modus operandi for the future, in which BRU and Brussels Airlines team up to convince STAR alliance airlines to move a flight from CDG or AMS to BRU, lured by the prospect of much better connectivity (through Brussels Airlines) as well as possibly a more accommodating attitude (from the airport).
If you can convince Japanese, you can convince others too, no?

Maybe an interesting side discussion would be to draw a shortlist of airlines and routes which could be likely targets for a similar coordinated approach in future? I'd say Singapore Airlines; they could easily move some capacity from AMS/CDG to BRU. Any other STAR partners we might think off?

asianlao02

Post by asianlao02 »

Inquirer wrote:Not only is it logical now that the full picture emerges, it may also turn out to be a new modus operandi for the future, with BRU and Brussels Airlines team up to convince STAR alliance airlines to move a flight from CDG or AMS to BRU, lured by the prospect of much better connectivity (through Brussels Airlines) as well as possibly a more accommodating attitude (from the airport).
If you can convince Japanese, you can convince others too, id think!

Maybe an interesting side discussion would be to draw a shortlist of airlines and routes which could be likely targets for a similar coordinated approach in future? I'd say Singapore Airlines; they could easily move some capacity from AMS/CDG to BRU. Any other STAR partners we might think off?
Maybe singapore and asiana. I don't know their frequency in cdg....they'll get a350 starting next year.
CX is looking to expand in europe with their A350 too. Why not BRU? HKG is a good Market and they know BRU with CX cargo

asianlao02

Post by asianlao02 »

asianlao02 wrote:
Inquirer wrote:Not only is it logical now that the full picture emerges, it may also turn out to be a new modus operandi for the future, with BRU and Brussels Airlines team up to convince STAR alliance airlines to move a flight from CDG or AMS to BRU, lured by the prospect of much better connectivity (through Brussels Airlines) as well as possibly a more accommodating attitude (from the airport).
If you can convince Japanese, you can convince others too, id think!

Maybe singapore and asiana. I don't know their frequency in cdg....they'll get a350 starting next year.
CX is looking to expand in europe with their A350 too. Why not BRU? HKG is a good Market and they know BRU with CX cargo
Maybe we can discuss this in another topic?

b720

Post by b720 »

NH doesn't drop CDG altogether, they keep operating HND-CDG.

Flanker2

Post by Flanker2 »

b720 wrote:I think most connections from Japan based pax will be to other European destinations.. Japan is not as exposed to Africa as China is. I do not think that the aim is to connect to SN's Triangular African flights.
I posted this in the other thread so I'll mirror it here:
(Bloomberg) -- Japan has invested more in project financing in Africa than China as Asian nations continue to strengthen their economic influence on the continent, according to Linklaters LLP.
Japanese investors accounted for $3.5 billion of the $4.2 billion of project funds that Asian nations poured into Africa last year to improve roads, water and sanitation and build oil and gas pipelines, according to the London-based law firm.
“Japan now ranks as the most active Asian project finance sponsor in Africa, investing almost three times as much as China, which is often regarded as the most active Asian investor on the continent,” according to the report published Monday.
Sub-Saharan African nations are seeking to reverse years of under-investment by moving forward with road and rail projects to help boost economic growth, which is forecast by the International Monetary Fund to expand 4.9 percent this year, more than double the rate of advanced economies. Asian investors are among those seeking deals to develop oil, gas and mineral deposits in African nations, which are exploiting their natural resources to boost revenue to fund development plans.
China ranked as the second-biggest Asian financier of projects in Africa, committing more than $11.9 billion over the past decade, with more than half spent in South Africa, while India placed third, Linklaters said.
Below Radar
“Japan has a much quieter and below-the-radar approach, less headline-grabbing than Chinese investment,” said Andrew Jones, head of Linklaters’ Africa unit, in an interview with Bloomberg TV Africa. “We had a phase 10 to 15 years ago where there were some big Japanese investments into Africa and now there’s a new wave of investment coming.”
A significant amount of Japanese investors’ money for projects went into Morocco last year, according to the study. The North African country said in September that Japan will provide the majority of funds to build a coal-fired power plant in the western city of Safi, which will produce 1,386 megawatts, or 25 percent of the country’s needs.
“We’ve seen a mixture of securing fuel and natural resources, but also selling equipment like turbines for power stations,” Jones said of Japanese investment in Africa.
Nigeria, South Africa and Mozambique have attracted the most project financing from Asian investors in Africa over the past 10 years, according to Linklaters.
Project financing is a method of funding whereby debt repayments are sourced primarily from the forecast cash flows of a venture and security is limited to its assets.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/ ... than-china

Lysexpat

Post by Lysexpat »

It will cost you roughly 800€ return and about 16-18 hours travel time between Tokyo and Africa with Qatar, Etihad , Mrats or Turkish.
Why would anybody consider travel through Brussels, making your journey 30hrs long and probably pay 500€ more?
The nightflight would be perfect for bizz people who work all day in Tokyo sleep in te aircraft and work again the next day in Brussels.
In cattle class his flight will be full of Japanese tourists who start/finish their European tour In Belgium.
So overall a good thing, but I wouldn't count too much on connecting pax.

b720

Post by b720 »

didn't know that Japanese investments in Africa were bigger than Chinese; however I doubt that many Japanese actually visit Africa.. The Chinese relocate whole towns to Africa to build a project.. They do not fly in C class of course, but they do fly there nonetheless from China. Apart from the odd Japanese executive visiting a site or project, I think that the majority of connecting pax in BRU will be to other European cities.. specially regional ones SN flies to..

White Light

Post by White Light »

b720 wrote:I think most connections from Japan based pax will be to other European destinations.. Japan is not as exposed to Africa as China is. I do not think that the aim is to connect to SN's Triangular African flights.
I fully agree. I don't understand the focus on the small number of Africa flights to which the ANA flight could connect. ANA flies to six European cities only. I think their aim will be do code share with SN on connecting flights to/from a large number of European cities. An arrival in BRU around 6 p.M. and a departure to NRT at around 8 p.m. will offer much more "good" (short) connections to European cities.

b720

Post by b720 »

Precisely, by far many more Japan based travelers are interested in SN's Italian, French, destinations.. Spain, UK, GVA, and ZRH (if they prefer to fly NH to LX).. than they are in Africa.. Anyways, time will tell and we shall know the figures this time next year.. one thing for sure, we shall see some Japanese passengers on many SN European flights.. and others flying into BRU to connect to the flights to NRT.

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

I fly regularly to Africa and for sure Japanese passengers are not a market.
Sure not to Central or West Africa and to S.A they have better connections than to fly true Europe.
Hasta la victoria siempre.

b-west

Post by b-west »

An evening flight that would fit nicely with the evening wave of SN could indeed bring a lot of passengers. Already now every evening between 19.00 and 20.00 there are lots of connecting passengers on SN, I'm sure they could deliver quite a few transfer pax to a Japan bound flight as well.

fujisan

Post by fujisan »

FINNAIR might see some drop of its passengers and cargo traffic between BRU and Japan.

chineseboy

Post by chineseboy »

fujisan wrote:FINNAIR might see some drop of its passengers and cargo traffic between BRU and Japan.
Why should they? As they already serving Narita daily, and its Oneworld partner Japan Airliners also flies into Helsinki daily.

chineseboy

Post by chineseboy »

Anyone fancy in a prediction about the used plane and frequency?

I am going for the 787 - 3 times a week

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

chineseboy wrote:Anyone fancy in a prediction about the used plane and frequency?

I am going for the 787 - 3 times a week
No, at least 4 or 5 times per week. Otherwise it doesn't make sense for business travelers to change their travel habits and would be a waste of resources for ANA.

If BRU indeed spoke before their turn in that tweet yesterday morning, calling it a daily flight, it could even be daily from the start. Otherwise probably starting a bit slower at 4, 5 or 6 flights per week with plan to upgrade to daily afterwards.

Also keep in mind that they reduce CDG with one daily as from late October, so daily wouldn't even be such a surprise.
Last edited by RoMax on 02 Jun 2015, 23:20, edited 1 time in total.

asianlao02

Post by asianlao02 »

Almost certain it will be daily. It make sense if it's the cdg plane. ANA frequency is often daily

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

fujisan wrote:FINNAIR might see some drop of its passengers and cargo traffic between BRU and Japan.
Hello fujisan. Welcome to Luchtzak and thanks for your first post!
André
ex Sabena #26567

SN1234

Post by SN1234 »

It will definitely become daily. Thinking about the schedule. Isn't it possible they just take the same schedule as for CDG?

NRT1355 1925CDG
CDG1730 1210NRT

Then they just move their destination with 300km.

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

SN1234 wrote:It will definitely become daily. Thinking about the schedule. Isn't it possible they just take the same schedule as for CDG?

NRT1355 1925CDG
CDG1730 1210NRT

Then they just move their destination with 300km.
Would be nice, because with a schedule like that they need 2 daily ;) Currently ANA operates like this: HND-CDG-NRT and NRT-CDG-HND, so they can't just swap the CDG-NRT to BRU without changing the schedule, also the HND-CDG-HND schedule might change, unless they keep the aircraft on the ground at CDG from 16:00 (arrival from HND in current schedule) until 21:10 (departure to HND in current schedule).