Ryanair in 2015

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

sean1982

Re: Ryanair in 2015

Post by sean1982 »

I dont think that 8 daily extra flights is "no real news" and it definatly far from "stalling" like inquirer claimed.
Its the first time since the 2 based exist that BRU gets a bigger expansion than CRL

Stij

Post by Stij »

sean1982 wrote:I dont think that 8 daily extra flights is "no real news" and it definatly far from "stalling" like inquirer claimed.
Its the first time since the 2 based exist that BRU gets a bigger expansion than CRL
I count 11 daily flights extra to CRL and BRU, so the equivalent of 3 aircraft. That indeed is news.

The reason there's no further expansion at BRU is a bit lame: there're plenty of stands that are reachable by bus.

Of course there's a little extra cost, but FR's willing to pay this at other airports so... it's an excuse in my opinion.

Then again, even if it may not be an exponential growth, grwoth = growth...

Cheers,

Stij

Charlie Roy

Post by Charlie Roy »

I guess Bratislava is also just getting moved from Charleroi to Zaventem.
(Not in booking engine yet).

PS - I'm glad I did a Verona trip this year while the route was still out of Zaventem with those beautiful citytrip-friendly times :D

3toons

Post by 3toons »

I wish Ryanair would restart daily flights from Glasgow Prestwick to Brussels (either Zaventem or Charleroi). The flights to and from Edinburgh aren't daily and the times are unsuitable for me. I flew from Prestwick to Charleroi many times and the flights were always completely full or very nearly full.

crew1990

Post by crew1990 »

Stij wrote:The reason there's no further expansion at BRU is a bit lame: there're plenty of stands that are reachable by bus.
The Ryanair stand must also be reachable by foot from the Ryanair crew room as the crew have to walk there.
Last edited by crew1990 on 23 Sep 2015, 22:25, edited 1 time in total.

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

crew1990 wrote:
Stij wrote:
sean1982 wrote:The reason there's no further expansion at BRU is a bit lame: there're plenty of stands that are reachable by bus.
The Ryanair stand must also be reachable by foot from the Ryanair crew room as the crew have to walk there.
Which in my opinion is setting quite unreasonable demands operating at an airport like BRU... There must be many other airports in their network that have similar limitations?

Stij

Post by Stij »

RoMax wrote:
Which in my opinion is setting quite unreasonable demands operating at an airport like BRU... There must be many other airports in their network that have similar limitations?
Couldn't agree more...

Cheers,

Stij

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

crew1990 wrote:
Stij wrote:The reason there's no further expansion at BRU is a bit lame: there're plenty of stands that are reachable by bus.
We have at least 5 bases where crews are being bussed from the crew room to the aircraft!

Stij

Post by Stij »

sean1982 wrote:We have at least 5 bases where crews are being bussed from the crew room to the aircraft!
Maybe Crew1990 is referring just to BRU...

Keep it cool, play the ball and not the person.

Then again, evidence MOL doesn't want to expand more in BRU and uses the limited number of walk-in-stands as an excuse.

Cheers,

Stij

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

No he's not ... A few weeks ago it was: FR crew dont get any latex gloves :roll:

And no Stij, that's not true. Over the last few months trials were conducted on other stands (bus and bridge) and they were taking to long to fit in enough rotations for the aircraft (for the coming season anyway)

Stij

Post by Stij »

sean1982 wrote:No he's not ... A few weeks ago it was: FR crew dont get any latex gloves :roll:
I'm sorry, I really don't get that...
sean1982 wrote:Over the last few months trials were conducted on other stands (bus and bridge) and they were taking to long to fit in enough rotations for the aircraft
But I',m always bussed from / to the aircraft in VRN, CIA and PSA... so it can't be that bad...

I remember one time in CIA our flight was late and we were bussed to the plane while pax were still disembarking, all pax of, 5 (or 10, can;t remember) minutes wait, all the doors open, everybody in.

Cheers,

Stij

crew1990

Post by crew1990 »

Stij wrote:
sean1982 wrote:No he's not ... A few weeks ago it was: FR crew dont get any latex gloves :roll:
I'm sorry, I really don't get that...
It was on another topic about the cleaning of vomit during the flight, It's out of the context but indeed I was speaking about Ryanair in general which doesn't provide latex gloves. This was not an attack to Ryanair, actually it was to defend the crew that other member blamed of not doing anything. Why always getting so offended Sean!

About the the buses. I was referring about Brussels and Charleroi even if this is the same in a majority ( I repeat myself to be sure Sean understand, in a majority, not all of them) the crew have to walk to the aircraft. This is not a negative thing this is one of the little thing that make that Ryanair can be cheaper than other airlines. I was just stating a fact and I don't understand why you take always everything as an attack while it's not.

UAE777

Post by UAE777 »

What a joke that is, their much tooted summer expansion for Belgium! :shock:
Most of what I see is rehashing previously announced flights and moving around some routes between CRL and BRU, calling all that "new routes" for both bases, but other than that????
Yeah, an extra daily on BCN and FCO, and half an extra daily on DUB and AGP, with cutbacks elsewhere.
And in the end, ZERO newly based planes.
Period.

Great expansion indeed, Sean! :roll:
If season after season you entertain us with "big plans", with "huge training needs for next season" (your own words), which turn out to end flat on the water each and every time, doesn't that say enough?

Let's stop acting like sissies: the most riducule excuses are now being pulled out of their textbook to explain why they won't grow to that type base that was promissed only 20 months ago to those moving in.
Sure, Ryanair is an OCMW airline where crew walk to the plane, but if needed and they make good money somewhere, they will arrange transport for us!
Get over it: they just aren't doing as great in BRU as they had expected indeed!
A big thumbs up to those guys around here who saw the writing on the wall so soon, because it's definitely not typically ryanair to fail in public and in such an epic way!

I admire your loyalty and the way in which you still buy all the peptalk from Dublin as if it comes straight from the Bible, Sean, but you must be about the only one left with that much faith in Belgium.
Morale was low when I left, and is even lower now, so I have been told.
Time for another morale boosting improvement plan, I should guess?
On second thoughts, no thank you!
Had enough of that at ryanair. :thumbdown:

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

Than you have been told wrongly my friend ;)
But "the lobby" is pretty busy downsizing everything i see ;) not to worry .. Its coming

UAE777

Post by UAE777 »

I genuinely hope for all my friends still left behind allover europe hoping to get back to Belgium one day...
I'd say: bring it on, at best next month already, so they can start this winter still.
On second thoughts, you're not again trying to sell that story of: "this is just the first announcement, but in fact we're waiting with the rest for now; be assured, we'll double down on it, you know how we are".
That's from the morale boosting session of 2013, you know?
Turn the leaf. ;)

Lobby? To me that just means the reception hall of a 5 star hotel these days. 8-)
What a break with my old employer where I was living in shared appartments and paying for it myself too!

brusselsairlinesfan

Post by brusselsairlinesfan »

As a brussels airlines big fan, I must admit however that Ryanair already did an absolutely great job in Belgium over the last decade...
SN & FR do carry (about) the same PAX numbers in Belgium, which can be called an outstanding performance already!
Regarding BRU, maybe that they didn't expect the reactions from SN, which sounds remarkable to me ;-) Did they maybe "hurt" VY more than SN finally? I see more potential for FR in the coming years in France (where AF seems to be in a critical situation) or in Germany (where FR still seems to be a relatively "small" player).

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

brusselsairlinesfan wrote:I see more potential for FR in the coming years in France (where AF seems to be in a critical situation) or in Germany (where FR still seems to be a relatively "small" player).
This is exactly what I heard when talking to an FR guy at the press conference. Their major efforts will go towards Germany where their market share is less than 5% with an overwhelming dominance of Lufthansa (Air Berlin being on the decline). But as long as FR doesn't want to fly from FRA and MUC, this seems like a difficult task.
André
ex Sabena #26567

UAE777

Post by UAE777 »

When you work in this industry for a living, it's not about being a fan of this or that airline: an airline is not a soccer team is it? It's just an employer where crew try to make some good money and combine that with a decent social life!
Let me tell you something: there are a whole bunch of Belgian guys (and girls) currently working their buts off for ryanair while based in Ammehoela for far too long, craving to move closer to their friends and families left behind at home and being able to sleep in a bed of their own for once; all those motivated people are being kept on the hook with reheated promisses of big expansion in Belgium and the prospect of a swift return home if only they keep giving the very best of them on the other end of Europe.
I know what I am talking about, I used to be one of them for way too long myself, and I don't regret for a minute the decision to quit and move to where I am now, especially not since I see that all those expensive promisses about a very huge base in BRU 'soon' were just BS, like so much from this management.
And then Sean takes a hit at me for favouring a management style where they really put their money where there mouth is, like overhere in DXB! Sure, they have a vry big mouth, but they also have the big bucks to fill it with, contrary to MOL who tries to sell us the story he can't expand at BRU because .. oh crap, the only available gates are 2,5 minutes too far down the airpot to make it all work! What a joke! :twisted:

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

Its easy to claim to have big bucks and to perform well if you unlike any other company in the world dont have to pay taxes and nearly get your fuel for free ;) Its not like emirates is known for their nice management style is it? ;)

I also worked abroad for 3 years before being able to come back to Belgium. I didnt see that as something bad, in fact I enjoyed my time abroad.

Furthermore, if you were trying in FR to get closer to home then you didnt really improve did you? You moved 4000km more east in a climate where you cant go out in summer. Not that it is really important hopping from hotel room to hotel room. I prefer to sleep next to my partner every night (in a place where I dont risk capital punishment for doing so) than to see 15 "5 star lobbies" in a month ;)

Have you also thought about where you're gonna go with you B777 rating when you want to come back to europe? That's right ... Nowhere. Enjoy the next 30 years in the desert ;)

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

A juicy interview of Michael O'Leary by Raphaël Meulders in "La Libre" today, page 29. My summary of the main points (in my view) :
- Everything OK in Belgium, we are the favourite company of Belgians, before Brussels Airlines, with 8,1 million passengers foreseen at CRL and BRU. In 2016, nearly one flight in three in Belgium will be FR.
- Some politicians think that Ryanair must be sent back to CRL with all the LCC ? There is no legal basis for that. And the LCC have a more modern fleet that causes less noise ...whilst Brussels Airlines has old and noisy aircraft.
- The low cost of fuel make us spare 270 million dollars with regard to last year. The idea is to lower our prices between 5 and 10 % in the coming months. Brussels Airlines or Air France put the spared money into their pocket to stem their losses, by us our passengers will profit.
-When the price of fuel will rise, e'll be able to keep fares at a low level, because by then, we'll have taken a bigger part of the market, from our competitors - and we'll have more new planes.
- the legacy airlines lose money on their european network, but they keep it because it feeds their long-haul routes, where they make money - although the Gulf companies put them in jeopardy. We could feed the long haul flights of these companies. We are speaking with BA, Iberia, Aer Lingus, TAP, Virgin Atlantic and Norwegian. We could also feed the African flights of Brussels Airlines, why not ?
- if a KLM pilot says that we beat our pilots, that we put them in chains in the cockpit, that we don't feed them, we just don't give a damn. But if somebody says that Ryanair is not safe, he'll be sent straight to the tribunal.
- 65% of our captains are Ryanair employees, 35% are contractors. For the F/O, it's the reverse : 75% are contractors.
- They say that a lot of Ryanair pilots quit for other companies ? We have principally a lot of pilots that come to knock at our door. Some who have left to go fly with a Gulf company want to come back. They earn much money over there, but the living there is sh*t.They come back to us, but we say : no, thank you, we don't need you any more.
- about the compensations for delays : that law is mad, but it's the law and we'll respect it. I see that they never ask the same from the trains or the boats, it's always the planes that are aimed at.

http://www.dhnet.be/actu/economie/ryana ... f19ed6f9f5
Last edited by airazurxtror on 24 Sep 2015, 18:36, edited 2 times in total.
IF IT AIN'T BOEING, I'M NOT GOING.