[Trip Report] Brussels-Berlin SXF with Ryanair - Comparison with easyJet

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
sn26567

[Trip Report] Brussels-Berlin SXF with Ryanair - Comparison with easyJet

Post by sn26567 »

1. Introduction

This winter season saw the introduction of Ryanair flights from Brussels to Berlin Schönfeld, the first route from Brussels where they compete head to head with easyJet. An opportunity to test Ryanair on that route which I had already flown on easyJet earlier this year (see https://www.aviation24.be/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=56208) and to make a comparison between the two airlines.

The schedules are more interesting with Ryanair. Both airlines operate the BRU-SXF flights with Berlin-based aircraft. But Ryanair leaves earlier from Berlin, and thus it is possible to depart earlier from Brussels as well. Same remark for the return to Brussels: easyJet leaves much earlier from Berlin, allowing a much shorter stay in the German capital.

About fares, Ryanair is currently promoting the route with a lot of €9.99 fares in each direction. Unbeatable! Even if easyJet has lowered its own fares in front of that competition. But where Ryanair accepts to lose money (remember the €28 airport tax in BRU), easyJet tries to remain profitable.

You know me: I need a window seat guaranteed before departure, this I book a seat in advance: that costs now minimum €5.99 per leg with Ryanair, and only €4.00 with easyJet.

And then the comfort of the seats: I really feel cramped with my 1m83 in the Ryanair seats and I feel more comfortable in the wider easyJet seats.

And finally catering: Ryanair seems to have a larger choice of dishes and drinks, and their Lavazza coffee is the best in the industry, but neither airline features a good beer. But everything has a price, and many items were unavailable!

Now, the hard facts: the trip report!

2. Brussels - Berlin

I arrived at the airport 75 minutes before departure, with my boarding pass in my phone and only hand baggage. Swift control in the Connector, little wait at Gate A34, and then the announcement of a gate change to A38.
FR163 to SXF departs 30 minutes earlier than EZY4702. Note also the two  VLM charters!
FR163 to SXF departs 30 minutes earlier than EZY4702. Note also the two VLM charters!
First announced at gate A34, but then moved to A38 (and a bus transfer!)
First announced at gate A34, but then moved to A38 (and a bus transfer!)
That meant that it was impossible to walk to the plane in position 130, and passengers had to be bussed for the short distance to the plane. As usual, I boarded among the last and was sent to the second bus with only a dozen of other passengers. Bad luck: the driver did not know how to go to position 130 and drove us for a long tour of the tarmac, coming back to the gate and finally calling dispatching to ask for instructions. Finally got us at the plane after passing behind positions 124 to 128 (and waiting for some LCC planes to complete their manoeuvres: arriving or push-back).
Boeing 737-800 EI-DWZ, reached after a long detour by bus!
Boeing 737-800 EI-DWZ, reached after a long detour by bus!
Boarding through the back door
Boarding through the back door
Flight: Ryanair FR163
Date : 18 Nov 2015
Aircraft: Boeing 737-800 EI-DWZ
From-To: Brussels - Berlin Schönefeld (BRU-SXF)
Seat: 31A
Scheduled/Effective Time of Departure: 08:20/08:30 (GMT+1)
Scheduled/Effective Time of Arrival: 09:45/09:51 (GMT+1)
Scheduled/Effective Duration of the flight: 1 hr 25 min/1 hr 21 min

The bus problems led to a slightly delayed departure. Taxi to Rwy 25R for take-off.
The wind shows clearly it will be 25R for take-off
The wind shows clearly it will be 25R for take-off
The load factor was around 75%, which left row 31 entirely for myself.
The whole row 31 was for me!
The whole row 31 was for me!
In the air...
In the air...
Once in the air, I opted for a breakfast which I had not taken at home or at the airport. But the chocolate croissant that I wanted was not available. Let's fo for a butter croissant then, washed down with the usual and excellent Lavazza coffee.
Breakfast: the excellent Lavazza coffee and a butter croissant (the chocolate croissant was not available)
Breakfast: the excellent Lavazza coffee and a butter croissant (the chocolate croissant was not available)
The rest of the flight was rather turbulent, with very strong winds. Hard landing on Rwy 25R in SXF.

Taxi to Gate 61. The plane arrived at the gate 6 minutes late, but since it had touched the ground exactly at the STA, the trumpets of glory resounded through the cabin. A little unfair...
Our plane at destination
Our plane at destination
A nice Ryanair logo-jet at SXF
A nice Ryanair logo-jet at SXF
Itinerary FR163 on 18NOV2015
Itinerary FR163 on 18NOV2015
Exit by the forward door only. When you are in row 31, that means some time before you can get out!

And passport control on arrival in the airport. Despite Schengen! But I can understand, in view of the recent events in Paris and elsewhere...

3. Berlin

Since I had already seen Berlin several times and Potsdam once, I decided to go to Oranienburg (palace) and Sachsenhausen (concentration camp), some 45 km away through Berlin centre and passing not far from Tegel airport where I saw many planes landing. Good rail, S-Bahn and bus connections brought me there in 1h 30min for only €3.30.

I miscalculated the time for my visits and was very happy to have an app called Moovit to bring me back by S-Bahn at SXF airport barely 45 minutes before departure.

A new Terminal C had just opened at SXF for people with hand baggage only who have already their boarding pass. That was my case, and despite a queue of 20 people before me, I was through in 20 minutes to arrive at Gate 9 in Terminal D just when pre-boarding was almost completed. Nice initiative, that new Terminal C !

No time to make pics, of course...

4. Berlin - Brussels

Flight: Ryanair FR163
Date : 18 Nov 2015
Aircraft: Boeing 737-800 EI-DCF
From-To: Berlin Schönefeld - Brussels (SXF-BRU)
Seat: 31A
Scheduled/Effective Time of Departure: 19:35/19:36 (GMT+1)
Scheduled/Effective Time of Arrival: 21:05/21:11 (GMT+1)
Scheduled/Effective Duration of the flight: 1 hr 30 min/1 hr 35 min

I was evidently one of the last to board, as usual, but unwillingly this time.
Embarking for the return flight. I arrived at the airport barely 45 minutes before departure, but was quickly checked through new Terminal C (hand baggage only and boarding pass available)
Embarking for the return flight. I arrived at the airport barely 45 minutes before departure, but was quickly checked through new Terminal C (hand baggage only and boarding pass available)
Boeing 737-800 EI-DCF
Boeing 737-800 EI-DCF
On-time push-back and take-off from 25R. Despite a load factor close to 90%, I had again row 31 all for myself.
Again row 31 for only myself!
Again row 31 for only myself!
Time for dinner: a selection of tapas with a beer. But the two dishes that I selected in the first place were, again, not available. And if I had known it would be Heineken...
Dinner: tapas and Heineken (if I had known beforehand that the beer was Heineken...)
Dinner: tapas and Heineken (if I had known beforehand that the beer was Heineken...)
The last part of the flight was again very shaken by turbulences. During landing in BRU on 25L, the plane rebounded twice before rolling safely to position 130. Again the trumpets were activated ("another Ryanair on-time arrival") because the plane touched the ground exactly at the STA, although it was 5 minutes late at the gate!
Disembarling in Brussels
Disembarling in Brussels
Itinerary FR166 on 18NOV2015
Itinerary FR166 on 18NOV2015
Nevertheless a good, exhausting day!
André
ex Sabena #26567

cathay belgium

Re: [Trip Report] Brussels-Berlin SXF with Ryanair - Comparison with easyJet

Post by cathay belgium »

Hi,

Nice report... I can just agree with you...

Now what will be your choose when the fare is the same ?
I will opt for FR because time in berlin is more important, my sister will opt for EZY as they told me, besides she flew out same route with a 13 euro a leg fare !
So guess you missed this one ;) Competition can change minds haha

CXB
New types flown 2022.. A339

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Between an A320 and a B737, all other things being equal (fares, times), there is no picture: the A320 is more comfortable.
André
ex Sabena #26567

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

sn26567 wrote:Between an A320 and a B737, all other things being equal (fares, times), there is no picture: the A320 is more comfortable.
IF IT AIN'T BOEING, I'M NOT GOING ?
IF IT AIN'T AIRBUS, I'D RATHER TAKE A BUS ! :mrgreen:
André
ex Sabena #26567

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

sn26567 wrote:Between an A320 and a B737, all other things being equal (fares, times), there is no picture: the A320 is more comfortable.
It all dépends on the cabin arrangement, of course : I remember a Wizz Air A320 with Recaro seats where I (of medium size) had a problem inserting and extracting myself from the seat, without even speaking of moving the legs.
IF IT AIN'T BOEING, I'M NOT GOING.

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

sn26567 wrote: IF IT AIN'T AIRBUS, I'D RATHER TAKE A BUS ! :mrgreen:
Not to Berlin ! :lol:
IF IT AIN'T BOEING, I'M NOT GOING.

TheFlyingSultan

Post by TheFlyingSultan »

Hallo André,

I saw this TR before but I didn’t find the time yet to read it. Good to see you were able to try out the relatively new Ryanair service to Berlin. Now you only need to fly the Jetairfly service to/from ANR and you’ve done it all :) So here goes:
sn26567 wrote:About fares, Ryanair is currently promoting the route with a lot of €9.99 fares in each direction. Unbeatable! Even if easyJet has lowered its own fares in front of that competition. But where Ryanair accepts to lose money (remember the €28 airport tax in BRU), easyJet tries to remain profitable.
The time that Ryanair offered € 0,01 fares is long gone now but € 9,99 is a no-brainer too. Still, if I had the choice in comparable timings and fares, my choice is easyJet, definitely.
sn26567 wrote:You know me: I need a window seat guaranteed before departure, this I book a seat in advance: that costs now minimum €5.99 per leg with Ryanair, and only €4.00 with easyJet.
I need a window seat too and I don’t mind to shell out the extra few €’s to ensure me a good one.
sn26567 wrote:And then the comfort of the seats: I really feel cramped with my 1m83 in the Ryanair seats and I feel more comfortable in the wider easyJet seats.
Exactly my opinion too!
sn26567 wrote:And finally catering: Ryanair seems to have a larger choice of dishes and drinks, and their Lavazza coffee is the best in the industry, but neither airline features a good beer. But everything has a price, and many items were unavailable!
Hmm, usually that is no problem. My last 3 (!) SN flights did not have the BOB items I would have liked, sold out. I wrote a complaint about that, still waiting for an answer though...
sn26567 wrote:Bad luck: the driver did not know how to go to position 130 and drove us for a long tour of the tarmac, coming back to the gate and finally calling dispatching to ask for instructions. Finally got us at the plane after passing behind positions 124 to 128 (and waiting for some LCC planes to complete their manoeuvres: arriving or push-back).
Must’ve been a newbie then?
sn26567 wrote:The bus problems led to a slightly delayed departure. Taxi to Rwy 25R for take-off.
I guess the pilots weren’t too happy with that, thight schedule and slots and all. Or no big deal in this case?
sn26567 wrote:And passport control on arrival in the airport. Despite Schengen!
Happened to me too last week in MXP T2, really inconvenient since I was in a hurry to catch a connecting flight at T1.
sn26567 wrote:A new Terminal C had just opened at SXF for people with hand baggage only who have already their boarding pass. That was my case, and despite a queue of 20 people before me, I was through in 20 minutes to arrive at Gate 9 in Terminal D just when pre-boarding was almost completed.
I must say that SXF is a really unpleasant airport - at least the part I’ve seen of it.

TheFlyingSultan

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Thanks for your comments, Sultan.
TheFlyingSultan wrote:
sn26567 wrote:The bus problems led to a slightly delayed departure. Taxi to Rwy 25R for take-off.
I guess the pilots weren’t too happy with that, thight schedule and slots and all. Or no big deal in this case?
The slight delay could not be recouped, but no big deal indeed.
TheFlyingSultan wrote:I must say that SXF is a really unpleasant airport - at least the part I’ve seen of it.
It's to a point that they have to build new structures (like this new terminal C) to cope with the increase in the number of pax (+46% in November due to the new Ryanair base), instead of moving to the never completed new BBI airport. Talk about German efficiency!
André
ex Sabena #26567