Brussels Airlines may claim the crown in Belgian skies also in 2015.

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Inquirer

Brussels Airlines may claim the crown in Belgian skies also in 2015.

Post by Inquirer »

Just saw that De Tijd is currently working on a live article on Brussels Airlines' passenger numbers over 2015, with the final figure of 7.5M scheduled passengers quoted by them.

http://www.tijd.be/ondernemen/luchtvaar ... 1452592707

I suppose further/official statistics will follow later today?

Stij

Re: Brussels Airlines may claim the crown in Belgian skies also in 2015.

Post by Stij »

It's a photo finish then as FR announced they had "close to 7,5M" pax, but the winner is SN! Both for BRU market and the Belgian market!!!

Cheers,

Stij

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

Indeed Stij,
although ryanair announced 5.5M + 1.8M passengers for CRL and BRU respectively, so 'just' 7.3M.
They even claimed to be the biggest in Belgium for about 1 hour, but then started doubting that and quietly removed the claim again from their initial press release, while coming up with the 'close to 7.5M' figure in it, a figure which looks a fair bit of an overstretch if you look at the break up in more detail, even if you do assume those figures not to be rounded up first too!
No idea if the B.air figure is rounded up by a lot, but I suppose official figures will follow later?
Its really a pity ryanair doesn't post detailed figures for their Belgian operations because it would allow us to follow up more closely on the market's evolution than we can only do now.
As this topic shows, bluff is called in the end anyway.

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

Honestly .... Children.
It's PR, bluff is always called :D
Neither FR nor SN has died from an "educated guess" before. Does it really matter in the end? On a figure of 7,5, 0,2 is a very small percentage :)

Stij

Post by Stij »

7.500.909 to be exact according to Trends...

http://trends.knack.be/economie/bedrijv ... 7763615764

Further mentionned:

Passengers grew by 12,9%
Africa grew by 9,3%
USA grew 1,6%
Loadfactor of 74,4% (an improvement of 2,4%)
Fleet of 49 planes for 300 flights a day.

Cheers,

Stij

tolipanebas

Post by tolipanebas »

Inquirer wrote:No idea if the B.air figure is rounded up by a lot, but I suppose official figures will follow later?
Total passenger count on scheduled flights alone is 7,500,909.
sean1982 wrote:Honestly .... Children.
It's PR, bluff is always called
Our figures are rounded off downwards and exclude non-scheduled passengers. ;)

Bluff from SN would be to issue press releases about the well over 8M passengers flying on Brussels Airlines' metal over 2015 (charter pax included) or to make comparisons about where that puts us in relation to much smaller competitors in the market.
Only one airline has been explicitly doing so for the last 24 months and has constantly been found to be underdelivering on their promisses in hindsight.

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

i'm sorry but is this positive for SN ?
Ryanair managed to do almost as good by starting from zero from a potatoe field airport...
My messages reflect my personal opinion which may be different than yours. I beleive a forum is made to create a debate so I encourage people to express themselves, the way they want, with the ideas they want. I expect the same understanding in return.

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

Stij wrote:7.500.909 to be exact according to Trends...

http://trends.knack.be/economie/bedrijv ... 7763615764

Further mentionned:

Passengers grew by 12,9%t
Africa grew by 9,3%
USA grew 1,6%
Loadfactor of 74,4% (an improvement of 2,4%)
Fleet of 49 planes for 300 flights a day.

Cheers,

Stij
How much on European flights?
Hasta la victoria siempre.

Stij

Post by Stij »

Yawn, can everybody keep from acting childish and stick to an adult behavior like reporting facts?

It was nice on our little forum the last few weeks, I would like to keep it that way.

Let me summarize the biiiig discussion for all of you: FR claimed a couple of times they would be the largest company flying out of Belgium in 2015 and they aren't: Brussels Airlines has beaten them by X number of pax. We don't know X as FR doesn't release exact figures, but X is between 1000 and 200.000.

Cheers,

Stij

Stij

Post by Stij »

lumumba wrote:How much on European flights?
Not mentioned in the article... but it should be larger than the 12,9% as long haul is below.

Cheers,

Stij

Stij

Post by Stij »

Acid-drop wrote:i'm sorry but is this positive for SN ?
Ryanair managed to do almost as good by starting from zero from a potatoe field airport...
In my opinion it is when you see where they come from...

Cheers,

Stij

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

Stij wrote:
lumumba wrote:How much on European flights?
Not mentioned in the article... but it should be larger than the 12,9% as long haul is below.

Cheers,

Stij
In the Tijd
Total :12,1%
European:12,9%
But it's not so important the numbers are very good.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Sorry, I was away this morning when the press release was issued, and I couldn't post it immediately. All the official figures are here: https://www.aviation24.be/airlines_press_r ... s-in-2015/

And indeed, with 7.5M+ pax (+12.1%), SN can claim the crown in Belgian skies. Furthermore, an intercontinental passenger is worth much more than a European passenger...

Since Brussels Airport traffic grew by 7% in 2015 (also to a new record), the market share of Brussels Airlines (charter traffic excluded) has increased again and represents 32% of all traffic at Brussels Airport!

https://www.aviation24.be/airports/brussel ... -7-growth/
André
ex Sabena #26567

convair

Post by convair »

sn26567 wrote:... Furthermore, an intercontinental passenger is worth much more than a European passenger...
SN pax traveled 1577 km per flight on average in 2015 (european + intercontinental).

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

Nice on the forum cause no-one was opposing the pro SN streaming?

No denying that SN is doing well, but carrying only 200.000 passengers more as the belgian carrier versus a pan european LCC who's biggest market isnt even Belgium is far from victorious. Also, the people, mostly tolip, passenger and inquirer, claiming FR's growth was at a standstill at BRU must take a good look at the BRU growth figures from 2015. From 0 to 1,4 million in 2 years is far from a standstill. I rest my case :)

Stij

Post by Stij »

For a long period FR was defended, but with facts, not by calling each other childish. That was the period I was referring to.

Sure it's far from a standstill, corrected for the time FR was flying from BRU in 2014 (not the full year), they should have grown by +-20% in BRU in 2015.

FR defended with facts and quick calculations.

There're always two ways of passing a message.

Cheers,

Stij

DannyVDB

Post by DannyVDB »

Hi all,

I am a little bit puzzled about the figures ...

When using the figures of SN for December provided by them in the same press release, i.e. 504.216 and add that to the numbers I had so far for the year I end up with 7.409.387, not the figures mentioned in the press release. This would mean I had some wrong figures for the past month ... (although I just added the monthly figures from the press releases from SN in a spreadsheet).

Another interesting fact mentioned in the press release of BRU: "Ryanair has become the second largest airline at Brussels Airport, with approximately 1.8 million passengers in 2015". This is the first time we see specific figures for Ryanair at BRU.
(http://www.brusselsairport.be/en/mediaroom/news/67409/)

Regards,
Danny

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

DannyVDB wrote:Another interesting fact mentioned in the press release of BRU: "Ryanair has become the second largest airline at Brussels Airport, with approximately 1.8 million passengers in 2015". This is the first time we see specific figures for Ryanair at BRU.
Ryanair did indeed publish their Brussels traffic figures for the first time earlier this month, as reported here on 6 January: https://www.aviation24.be/airlines_press_r ... s-in-2015/
André
ex Sabena #26567

convair

Post by convair »

Nice progression indeed! Yet, I'm still amazed at the wariness of SN's management: with a 9 % growth in Afi pax number, a load factor above 80 % on US flights, the India/Toronto opportunity that was known for months (and even years) they have been bold :shock: enough to order 1 (one!, un!, een!, ein!, uno!) additional l/h aircraft, due this coming spring, their first addition since June 2013!!!

They already had (probably vague) plans for 1 or 2 new Afi destinations in 2016, they intend to restart IAD during the summer season, YUL and BOS have appaently been posponed several times, and the Mumbai/Toronto opportunity has been in the air for at least 1 year! And they have ordered 1 plane!!!

"So, if we start YYZ, the Afi flght will come next year, or the year after; and if Air India agrees to cooperate with us, we might consider flying to MUM, possibly from the winter season, or from next year, or the year after...We're not really in charge here you know..."

Do Gustin & Co think the world is waiting for them to take decisions? If they don't fill the gaps, others will.

SN needs at least 3 additional l/h aircraft, not for summer, not for next year, but from March 30, 2016.

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

convair wrote:Nice progression indeed! Yet, I'm still amazed at the wariness of SN's management: with a 9 % growth in Afi pax number, a load factor above 80 % on US flights, the India/Toronto opportunity that was known for months (and even years) they have been bold :shock: enough to order 1 (one!, un!, een!, ein!, uno!) additional l/h aircraft, due this coming spring, their first addition since June 2013!!!

They already had (probably vague) plans for 1 or 2 new Afi destinations in 2016, they intend to restart IAD during the summer season, YUL and BOS have appaently been posponed several times, and the Mumbai/Toronto opportunity has been in the air for at least 1 year! And they have ordered 1 plane!!!

"So, if we start YYZ, the Afi flght will come next year, or the year after; and if Air India agrees to cooperate with us, we might consider flying to MUM, possibly from the winter season, or from next year, or the year after...We're not really in charge here you know..."

Do Gustin & Co think the world is waiting for them to take decisions? If they don't fill the gaps, others will.

SN needs at least 3 additional l/h aircraft, not for summer, not for next year, but from March 30, 2016.
I'm totally agree with that....