Reopening Brussels Airport after the 22/03/2016 terror attacks

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Conti764

Re: Reopening Brussels Airport after the 22/03/2016 terror attacks

Post by Conti764 »

Of course that Aviapartner big shot defends his staff. He hired them...

SN539

Post by SN539 »

mad_fab wrote:They reached an agreement, there will be pre-terminal checks.

FR http://www.lesoir.be/1169082/article/ac ... t-securite

NL http://www.hln.be/hln/nl/36484/Aanslage ... aven.dhtml
Terrorists definitely won :cry: That's a real pity ... And this is really not the kind of measures the population is waiting for ...

Airbus330lover

Post by Airbus330lover »

No systematical check..... only partial checks....

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

ATL might (will?) return march 2017, according to Airliners.net

Might this allow UA to further expand their already dominant position on BRU? I know ATL is DL's main hub, but those pax needing a flight to BRU have to take a flight, no...?

Jetter

Post by Jetter »

Conti764 wrote:ATL might (will?) return march 2017, according to Airliners.net

Might this allow UA to further expand their already dominant position on BRU? I know ATL is DL's main hub, but those pax needing a flight to BRU have to take a flight, no...?
Sadly I think nobody will expand the coming months, there are simply less pax needing a flight because few ppl want to go to BRU.

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

Jetter wrote:
Conti764 wrote:ATL might (will?) return march 2017, according to Airliners.net

Sadly I think nobody will expand the coming months, there are simply less pax needing a flight because few ppl want to go to BRU.
Okay, but thanks to the ties with SN, UA has a J-heavy operation to BRU and this is less likely to be hit since those passengers need to be at BRU and beyond, no matter what the situation is...

Besides, I wonder how much the declined tourism will truly hit BRU... Most tourists are outbound from BRU and for the rest I always had the impression the bulk of BRU pax used the airport on a professional base.

Jetter

Post by Jetter »

Agreed on UA. Only not sure about ORD remaining. Here's a detailed overview of the bookings of BRU after the attacks. There have been more cancellations than bookings since: http://forwardkeys.com/revenue-manageme ... bings.html

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

Conti764 wrote:Of course that Aviapartner big shot defends his staff. He hired them...
Maybe he did so because the Aviapartner unions didn't defend their members after that dirty attack by the police union.

mad_fab

Post by mad_fab »

So, according to the medias:

- Full check (Identity + Plane ticket + bags) before entering the terminal
- End of the Kiss and Fly
- No parking closer than 100m from the terminal
- Daily screening for the staff

http://www.lesoir.be/1169082/article/ac ... r-dimanche

Bel33

Post by Bel33 »

According to La Libre:

Minimum 9 months but probably 1 year to make the airport 100% functional!
For the summer season, only 40% of the capacity.
Some shops will close and I can not imagine how the companies will support that!
Following simulations, You must be 4 or 6 hours before the boarding time scheduled... Unbeleavable!
Poor Belgium...In China, they build a ring or 200 km railway in 1 or 2 years...
Please wake up Belgium! It's time to work!

Kris

Post by Kris »

Just want to add something about everything that's going on right now. I'm not an airline insider, but just a guy who happens to travel 40+ times yearly by plane, as are 15 or so of my colleagues.
We had an interesting meeting yesterday regarding future travel plans.
We all understand the frustration/anger of people working in the airport, but on the other hand normal life goes on.
The summary of our meeting is basically as follows:
- we all would feel UNSAFER if we have to wait in line for a prolonged time for a security check, instead of being dispersed inside the building.
- if the additional "safety" checks would add more than 60 minutes to our trip time, we will not use BRU airport anymore but go via DUS instead as almost all colleagues are living in the eastern part of Belgium. This will be added in our travel policy.
If I read now that you have to be in BRU 4-6 hours before departure, that simply is economically not viable for business travel. Our company is NOT paying us for being in an airport 4 hours before departure just for a short flight. There are more then enough other options.
We will see what happens in the coming days/weeks. Let's hope the ongoing situation is not going to kill Brussels Airlines on the somewhat longer run.

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

I totally agree with that conclusion. Also living in the east, I will probably use DUS, CGN or LUX depending on the best schedule.
For me the delay is the biggest issue. Its the main reason for me to use one or another airport.

In fact there is nothing original in our reaction, I bet 80% of people will act like that.
Maybe SN should get fixed schedule in the regional airports for the next 6 months. Not temporary things day by day but fixed for real so people can book and know, and relax.
A truck company makes the same money if using one highway or another, it has to be true for airlines too, at least for point to point flights... like BRU-LIN for example, very much business oriented.
My messages reflect my personal opinion which may be different than yours. I beleive a forum is made to create a debate so I encourage people to express themselves, the way they want, with the ideas they want. I expect the same understanding in return.

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

Bel33 wrote:According to La Libre:

Some shops will close and I can not imagine how the companies will support that!
Following simulations, You must be 4 or 6 hours before the boarding time scheduled... Unbeleavable!
4-6 hours?? hahaha, omfg, I'm again ashamed to be belgian. Shortly the members of the police unions will be VERY safe when the airport goes out of business. It's quicker to drive to CDG or AMS and catch a flight there :roll: Bananenrepubliek :/

rwandan-flyer

Post by rwandan-flyer »

Daily screening for the staff
I guess they are talking about Staff who doesn't work in the Airport Restricted Area.
Rwanda Aviation News (Drones, Air Force, Civil Aviation, Space, Air Balloon): https://www.facebook.com/RwandAn-Flyer-153177931456873

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

Bel33 wrote:According to La Libre:

Strange, yesterday I've seen a comment of Arnaud Feist that they hope to have the airport fully operational again by June...

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

Kris wrote:Just want to add something about everything that's going on right now. I'm not an airline insider, but just a guy who happens to travel 40+ times yearly by plane, as are 15 or so of my colleagues.
We had an interesting meeting yesterday regarding future travel plans.
We all understand the frustration/anger of people working in the airport, but on the other hand normal life goes on.
The summary of our meeting is basically as follows:
- we all would feel UNSAFER if we have to wait in line for a prolonged time for a security check, instead of being dispersed inside the building.
- if the additional "safety" checks would add more than 60 minutes to our trip time, we will not use BRU airport anymore but go via DUS instead as almost all colleagues are living in the eastern part of Belgium. This will be added in our travel policy.
If I read now that you have to be in BRU 4-6 hours before departure, that simply is economically not viable for business travel. Our company is NOT paying us for being in an airport 4 hours before departure just for a short flight. There are more then enough other options.
We will see what happens in the coming days/weeks. Let's hope the ongoing situation is not going to kill Brussels Airlines on the somewhat longer run.
I fully agree with the above conclusions. They reconfirm that the negociations and new measures have nothing to with the safety/security of the passengers (23 mio in 2015), but only with the safety/security of a handfull of the 400 policemen = the policemen working in close proximity to the entrance.

Belgium, a failed state indeed, where unions rule the country. Shame on those narrowminded police unions who demanded that only passengers become the target for an eventual new attack.

Too bad we can't go back to the good old days with the Rijkswacht/Gendarmerie and their "Helpen, beschermen, dienen" (Aider, protéger, servir) on the back of their Renault R4 and VW Combi.

b720

Post by b720 »

Bye bye BRU
And too sad to see SN fold, another Sabena scenario. The police unions have killed SN ..

flymd11

Post by flymd11 »

What a disappointment. :|

Kris

Post by Kris »

I was also wondering what effect this could have for leisure travel out of BRU. Imagine going on a 14h holiday flight and you would be required to be at BRU 5 hours beforehand ...

Ozzie1969
Location: Brugge, Flanders + Annan, Scotland + Ormoc,Philippines

Post by Ozzie1969 »

I never believe anything posted on April 1.