MD-11 in a B737NG simulator

The place for all your flight-sim experiences, questions, etc...
MD-11

MD-11 in a B737NG simulator

Post by MD-11 »

Saturday the 10th of July I went back to the flightsim in Bruges.
A friend of mine who sat in the jumpseat took some pics.
My instructor gave me a hard time.
Take-off in ostend-Bruges to Charleroi where I had to make a crosswind landing.
From there we flew back to Ostend where the weather was much better, and the landing also much easier.
All the people who say that pilots don't have to do anything I dare to try and land a plane in this sim. I'm starting to realise now how respectful a pilot's job is. :roll:
The man sitting on the right is the owner of this club.
He plays the role of PNF ( pilot non flying ) and is programming the FMC ( flight management computer )
Off course there are some small differences compared with the real thing.
For example : there's only one CDU ( on the left side )
There's also only one nose wheel tiller ( to steer the noseweel ), at the captain's side.
Therefore I'm sitting in the left seat , although I wear a FO uniform with only 3 golden bars. :oops:
But I feel to young to already wear 4 :wink:
Here we are checking the overhead panel and performing the before start checklist.
Everything else in this sim is very realistic.
If you start the engines you hear them, if you put on the fuel you actually see the EGT and N1 and N2 indicators move.
Giving the briefing and recalling the call-outs during take-off
Pushing back from the gate at EBOS
Here I'm setting the right heading while checking the EHSI ( Electronic Horizontal Situation Indicator )
Too bad it's in Bruges, otherwise I would go there more often.
Now I go once a month or every six weeks. :(
When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Nice report Bart! Would like to do this too once!

MD-11

Post by MD-11 »

One more pic that I wanted to place earlier but it didn't seem to work then.
Lining up on RWY26 at Ostend ( EBOS ), although it's not real this moment gives a thrill. You actually hear the engine sound increase and feel the sim "accelerate" on the RWY. Note my hand on the throttle until V1 ( decision speed )
When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Avro

Post by Avro »

Nice report and very nice pictures Bart :P

nwa757

Post by nwa757 »

Great report! Thanks for posting it here. My family got to fly an F-16 simulator at Luke Air Force Base in Glendale, AZ a couple of years ago. I wasn't very good at shooting the missles, but I was the only one in my family to successfully make a landing. :D After the ride in the simulator, we got our own private tour of Luke and got to get so close to F-16s that you could actually touch them.
Onward and Upward...

B744skipper

Post by B744skipper »

@MD-11, do you fly in real life also? :?:

But very nice report and thanks for putting in the pictures. Must have been quite an experience to "fly" in such a simulator.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Just out of curiosity, who much is the cost of one hour in a simulator?

Some airlines offer them in their FF programme. At LH Miles & More, it costs 70,000 miles, as much as a trip to the US!
André
ex Sabena #26567

Avro

Post by Avro »

sn26567 wrote:Just out of curiosity, who much is the cost of one hour in a simulator?

Some airlines offer them in their FF programme. At LH Miles & More, it costs 70,000 miles, as much as a trip to the US!
It's very expensive indeed, but the one Bart was flying cost less (I suppose) since it isn't a "real" one. But from all the pictures it looks quite realistic and impressive.

Greetz
Chris
8)

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Aerobel.be wrote:Als piloot betaal je € 15/uur en als co-piloot € 2,5/uur. Je kan ook steeds een abonnement aankopen voor het tienvoudige van de prijs waarmee je dan gratis jumpseat kan meevliegen op verscheidene vluchten.
15€ per hour as pilot, 2.5€ per hour as copilot and you can also buy a jumpseat-ticket for 1.5€

https://www.aviation24.be/modules.php?name ... ght=bruges