A340-600 of Virgin Atlantic

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
TWA

A340-600 of Virgin Atlantic

Post by TWA »

Hello, :dance:

I just came back from a short break to the States on which I went to DC and NY. And as I work only on narrow bodied A/C, I'm always thrilled to leave on holiday on a wide body.

So I left to LHR on BD's F-100 and then on VS' A340-600 to IAD.
here's a picture of an VS A340-600 example:
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/457098/M/
Very powerfull and exiting take off :jumpy: and thanks to lots of turbulence : noisy moving overhead bins, but then again let's not forget that I'm travelling on Airbus. The engines were noiseless. (Last week I saw an IB A340-600 when I was standing on the apron in MAD and even from the outside it sounds like a small vacuum cleaner passing by)

This is a picture from the Y-class cabin:
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/435799/M/
Notice the chrome metal air outlets above the pax seats and the chrome handgrips of the overhead bins. Very large tv-screens showing 18 movies which each pax can choose to play, stop, rewind, and forward individually.
The lavatories are a dream: they are very large, have very soft dark purple lightning and that very metallic, iron look.
I tried to get an upgrading to premium economy at the check-in desk in LHR and JFK but they refused eventhough the plane was not even halffull. :cry:
Upgradings used to be so easy especially on inbound flights from the US.
Today even Belgian Chocolats are a waste of monney.
This is a picture of C-class (Upper-Class) on VS' A340-600:
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/260600/M/

The only dissapointment was the cabin crew:they gave me a very hostile impression (as if we were disruptive passengers), were very straight forward and assertive.:teach: :heyyou: I was so surprised. Ambiance on the inbound B744 JFKLHR was totally different. I wonder if Belgian cabincrews give the same impression here in Belgium. :?: :roll: :?:
As for VS groundstaff in LHR/IAD/JFK on the contrary: waauuw..very reasonable, kind and helpfull people. :wink: :D
Last edited by TWA on 18 Nov 2003, 17:38, edited 7 times in total.

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

You are so lucky to fly on the A340-600 !! My dreams are flying on the B777, the A340-600 and -why not- to be on the inaugural and longest flight from Singapore to Los Angeles with Singapore Airlines on a A340-500 :) :D

greetings,

Bart
:rock:

Allnipponairways

Post by Allnipponairways »

vs is really good i travelled on holliday to tokyo with it on the 340-600 , its a nice plane , got upgraded to upperclass with the bar in the middle , really nice you know ... but on the way back in y class but had 3 seats for me but very extended enterntainement system not ??? lol 52 movies i had to see , in 11 hours i dont think so so have to fly them again very soon ....lol ...

greets flying cobra

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

TWA,

Thanks for exciting report. I am surprised by the colour of the seats in C class. But now this is Virgin!

Did you have to pay for the movies?
André
ex Sabena #26567

Comet

Post by Comet »

A great report, I would love to fly on the A340 as I quite like the Airbus types (though I've only been on the A320 of Air France). I have heard that Virgin are brilliant to fly with from other people I know who've flown to the US with them (I flew on Air New Zealand and British Airways when I went to the US).

The only wide bodies I've been on are the 747 (100 and 400 models) and the 767 (200 model).
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

vflies

Post by vflies »

sn26567 wrote:I am surprised by the colour of the seats in C class. But now this is Virgin!
Hello André,
Don't worry about the seat color, they're currently being refurbished!
See Fons's documented post about the new upper class here : https://www.aviation24.be/ftopic1382.html

Did you have to pay for the movies?
I don't believe any carrier currently has an entertainment charge in Y/Cl on long haul international flights.
America's big 3 recently lifted it on domestic flights too (IF you use your own headset) - possibly to give FA's more time to SELL food and drinks! :confused:

VFlies

Captain

Post by Captain »

Great airline, service, planes.

Probably the best airline for transatlantic travel.

Can't wait for Virgin Atlantic to fly on the A380.

Captain

A318

Post by A318 »

Your turbulence report doesn't surprise me since it is a common fact with the A340 and the A330, that's why I don't like them.
Besides that the color in the C class looks (thanks Comet ;)) bloody awfull, gosshh I like to say it like this :mrgreen:
From the outside it is a beauty to see but just let me be in my MD-11 which is also very powerful and comfortable.
I know Virgin is a very good airline with respect for the passenger but I try to avoid all A340's and A330's as long as possible :)

Greetz,

Erwin
A Whole Different Animal