Korongo Airlines: THE END

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

RoMax

Re: Korongo Airlines

Post by RoMax »

TCAS_climb wrote: I probably lost track of the aircraft type selected. The Avro is out but the 737 is in, correct?
As far as I know, they will start with the 737 with flights to Kinshasa and JNB and eventually the two BAe's will enter the fleet to operate regional domestic and international routes.

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

Might we see something like this in the (near) future?

KGA: Kananga
MJM: Mbuji-Mayi
FKI: Kisangani
BKY: Bukavu

However, no matter which flights will materialize most of them will require two stops within the DRC: Mbuju-Mayi is considered a certainty in Korongo's destinations, so if one wants to go there, they have to do BRU-FIH-FBM-MJM. Transferring trough BRU isn't a problem, but two transfers within the DRC :?

I don't know if FBM can handle an A333, but when Korongo is up and running it might be a good idea to start BRU-FBM direct so passengers wanting to travel to the DRC accept Kinshasa can easily transfer through Korongo's hub at FBM...

TCAS_climb

Post by TCAS_climb »

737 and BAe, ok... "Quick Change" aircraft, for sure !
8-)

airtrotter

Post by airtrotter »

Conti764 wrote: I don't know if FBM can handle an A333, but when Korongo is up and running it might be a good idea to start BRU-FBM direct so passengers wanting to travel to the DRC accept Kinshasa can easily transfer through Korongo's hub at FBM...
or Korongo can start ops from FIH? With a big link between FIH and FBM and direct service to secondary cities.
Or are there reasons why setting up a base in FIH is impossible (for Korongo)?

fretn

Post by fretn »

It's not centrally located enough. The 737's can't reach South Africa from there, that would be my guess

Stij

Post by Stij »

What if one would fly

733 JNB - FBM - FIH - FBM - JNB
146 FBM - MJM - KGA - FIH - KGA - MJM - FBM
146 FBM - BKY - FKI - FIH - FKI - BKY - FBM

With these three getting together at FIH to make a mini-hub with 333 to BRU?

This way you connect Forrest's office to Congo and Congo to the world...

Cheers,

Stij

tolipanebas

Post by tolipanebas »

Conti764 wrote:Image

I wouldn't limit the destinations to just RDC... 8-)

NCB

Post by NCB »

I had once made a "what the SN network could look like" map in the A319 to Africa context, which could fit nicely in this context:

I don't think that Korongo will try to connect Kinshasa domestically, because there are already dozens of operators who do that. Out of Lubumbashi, competition is scarce and it's the heart of the Congolese industry.
At Lubumbashi, Korongo and SN as the largest operator can have a better negotiating position when they need something to be done on the infrastructures like security or safety.
I do however see Korongo flying some destinations in triangles until traffic becomes significant enough to fly routes independently.

It is now obvious to everyone that SN will be operating BRU-FBM and rumours say that the introduction of this 6th A333 aircraft should coincide approximately with the introduction of the BAe146, in the spring of next year. I think that it's best to wait for this aircraft to arrive before launching Korongo, as both Korongo and longhaul will need to feed one another to get a strong launch.
Depending on what solution is chosen for the shorthaul replacement and financial/ownership positions, SN may be able to add another A333 later in 2011 to add destinations and frequencies.

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

tolipanebas wrote:
Conti764 wrote:Image

I wouldn't limit the destinations to just RDC... 8-)
I haven't (JNB) ;)

No, seriously, since I don't have a clue which destinations Korongo could service outside the DRC I have only taken the DRC destinations into account :)

Gliderpilot

Post by Gliderpilot »

NCB wrote:...the A319 to Africa context, which could fit nicely in this context:
How exactly? :mrgreen:

I don't think SN will fly to FBM anytime soon (because of restricting bilateral rights), Kinshasa really is the main destination for most people going to DRC, and still few times bigger than L'shi.

Bralo20

Post by Bralo20 »

SAA (in co-operation with ET & MS) is also planning a new airline... Actually they seem to mention Congo also in the article so apparently they will compete with Korongo... (maybe a bit strange since SA, ET, MS, SN and LH are all Star Alliance members... It doesn't make much sence to directly compete with allies?)

Source: http://www.fin24.com/Business/SAA-plans ... e-20100930

BrightCedars

Post by BrightCedars »

Gliderpilot wrote:I don't think SN will fly to FBM anytime soon (because of restricting bilateral rights), Kinshasa really is the main destination for most people going to DRC, and still few times bigger than L'shi.
Wouldn't Korongo be allowed to fly between FBM and BRU as a Congolese airline?

Bralo20

Post by Bralo20 »

Bralo20 wrote:SAA (in co-operation with ET & MS) is also planning a new airline... Actually they seem to mention Congo also in the article so apparently they will compete with Korongo... (maybe a bit strange since SA, ET, MS, SN and LH are all Star Alliance members... It doesn't make much sence to directly compete with allies?)

Source: http://www.fin24.com/Business/SAA-plans ... e-20100930
Apparently both SN & LH are also involved in the SAA project...

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Bralo20 wrote:Apparently both SN & LH are also involved in the SAA project...
Indeed: http://trendstop.rnews.be/fr/belga/1067 ... lines.aspx (French)
http://trends.rnews.be/nl/economie/belg ... 895405.htm# (Dutch)

About the SAA/Ethiopian/Egyptair project: C Franz, the future CEO of Lufthansa looks at the project with a favourable eye.

G Sciot from b.air adds: "We are involved. If the subsiduary is created, we will join with our flights. It's logical: we bring passengers from Europe". About Korongo: "We've strated the training of the Congolese cabin crew in Belgium; they will get a Belgian licence. We also offer our staff at Brussels Airlines the possibility to spend a few months working for Korongo." The activities should start in early 2011. Work is ongoing on the runway of Lubumbashi and a hangar is under construction.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Polaris

Post by Polaris »

What is the current state of affairs with Korongo? :?: How is the infrastructure coming along? (Airport and Crew housing...) Any idea when the first flight will take off? Which aircraft are going to make to move? Have they found enough pilots willing to commute? To me it seems logical that they hire locals as flight attendants...

Lot's of questions! It's been quiet for a while, so I guess an update is not out of is it's place? :roll:

pjms21

Post by pjms21 »

The hangar is under construction at the airport in Lubumbashi. The maintenance crew is being
selected already and the first bae 146 ( MJE) will start it's c-check aprox. next week and will take
about 6 weeks to complete.

Polaris

Post by Polaris »

pjms21 wrote:The hangar is under construction at the airport in Lubumbashi. The maintenance crew is being
selected already and the first bae 146 ( MJE) will start it's c-check aprox. next week and will take
about 6 weeks to complete.
It's nice to see things finally coming together! According to this schedule, the first aircraft will be ready in the beginning of January. :D Does the 737 need extra maintenance as well?

Edit: Is there already some news about the livery it will get? I'm curious! ;)

pjms21

Post by pjms21 »

Personnaly I find it looking nicer then the BA livery... :mrgreen:

Shanti

Post by Shanti »

any photos?

pjms21

Post by pjms21 »

There are pic but I'm afraid that I'm not allowed to post them here... Sry! :?