OS improves inflight experience, including meals

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

tolipanebas

OS improves inflight experience, including meals

Post by tolipanebas »

Austrian airlines, under the helm of Lufthansa, has presented its new cabin interior using the new thinner euroseats allowing it to incease seating capacity throughout its fleet, while also increasing individual leg room by more than 5 centimeters.

Similarly, OS will also re-introduce hot meals on medium haul flights of more than 2 hours and improve catering in Y class as it is deemed an 'inexpensive marketing tool' to set itself apart from low costs which offer nothing at all.

Are you listening SN?
Get rid of b.light, please.... and become a real airline once again, just like LH, LX and OS.

More information can be found on:
http://www.austrian.com/theNewOne

and more pictures, video and text (only in Austo-German however):
http://www.austrianwings.info/aw/?p=17188

earthman

Re: OS improves inflight experience, including meals

Post by earthman »

They should offer wienerschnitzels, or is that reserved for business class?

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

tolipanebas wrote:Austrian airlines, under the helm of Lufthansa, has presented its new cabin interior using the new thinner euroseats allowing it to incease seating capacity throughout its fleet, while also increasing individual leg room by more than 5 centimeters.
Isn't this also the plan with SN? And if yes, is their already somthing known about when they would do it.
tolipanebas wrote: Are you listening SN?
Get rid of b.light, please.... and become a real airline once again, just like LH, LX and OS.
I don't think SN will quite the b.light class by itself, but when they are taken over by LH things will change at SN I suppose.

At least it's nice to see OS upgrading its product, SN has to follow.

torchus

Post by torchus »

I flew with OS (BRU-VIE-ROV) in 2008 and got a (very tasteful) hot meal on each leg, so it seems this no-food policy has not lasted a long time.

Let's hope SN will get similar improvements.

Polaris

Post by Polaris »

This might seem a stupid question, but i'm gonna ask it anyway. ;)

I'm not familiar with this matter at all but:

As LH currently has about 45% of the shares, what prevents them of implenting some of these things right away? Do they have something to say about day to day operations, or do they have to wait until they bought the remaining 55% before changes will become apparent? :?:

eurojet

Post by eurojet »

I flew yesterday NRT-ZRH-LUX with LX in Y, and the cabin crew told me that as off 1st December this year, LX will also drastically improve their catering long-haul in Y, meaning a second full hot meal. Now you have a rather basic first hot meal, ice cream at mid-flight and a vile hot meat sandwhich. I was hungry as hell when I got off in Zurich ...

euroflyer

Post by euroflyer »

As LH itself is about to introduce a new short-haul cabin and product as well shortly, does anyone know if this new OS seat might just be the same as LH will get soon as well? What I have heard about the new LH is a more or less exact description of what OS now presents (very thin seat, magazines at the upper end of the seat behind the tray table and one or two additional seat rows for the B737s and A319s, A320s and even more additonal seats for the A321s (because they skip the toilets between rows 8 and 11). Plus, the OS seats are manufactured by Recaro and I think the new LH seats will be from them as well (as the current LH seats). So it would maybe just be logical to order the same seats for both airlines and even more sense to introduce them at OS first in order not to give the impression LH tells OS to follow exactly the LH style but to make it look as if it would be the other way round ;) . Maybe, if this is correct, the seat could be introduced with other LH group airlines as well :?: :)
Star Alliance Gold / LH Senator
A300 A318 A319 A320 A321 A340 B737 B747 B757 B767 MD81 MD82 MD90 Tu134 IL18 BAe146 RJ85 RJ100 CRJ200 CRJ700 CRJ900 ERJ145 E170 E195 F50 F70 F100 ATR42 ATR72 Q300 Q400
http://my.flightmemory.com/euroflyer

tolipanebas

Post by tolipanebas »

Well spotted...
Iit is indeed basically the same Recaro-seat already in use at LX since 2005 and now also at OS which will soon be found onboard LH too... any guesses what BD will present as its new interior early next year? :lol:

The 'euroseat' as it is called, is a seat exclusively designed(i.e. modified from an existing seat) for the LH group of airlines, able to be adapted to the wishes of the individual airlines and offering greater flexibility, while being based on this model:
http://www.recaro-as.com/ras/product-ra ... x.html?L=1
and with the 'high literature pocket' option from the bl-3510...

Here you have a few pictures of the seats 'in operation' on a LX flight:
http://www.airliners.net/photo/Swiss-In ... 0fb7d979ab
or
http://www.airliners.net/photo/Swiss-In ... a95bf088ce

BTW, I suggest you all to also read the comment to the second picture.
Of course, some here still think a dedicated fixed C class is the way to go, thus dropping all flexibility. :lol:

Stij

Post by Stij »

tolipanebas wrote: BTW, I suggest you all to also read the comment to the second picture.
Of course, some here still think a dedicated fixed C class is the way to go, thus dropping all flexibility. :lol:
I agree a dedicated fixed C class is a bad idea, but either a bunch of children were travelling in C or a lot of those 24 rows were empty. ;-)

Cheers,

Stij

tolipanebas

Post by tolipanebas »

Stij wrote:
tolipanebas wrote: BTW, I suggest you all to also read the comment to the second picture.
I agree a dedicated fixed C class is a bad idea, but either a bunch of children were travelling in C or a lot of those 24 rows were empty. ;-)

Cheers,

Stij
LOL, indeed...or...

it could have been they were taken, but on the return flight. :idea:

Ever been on an SN flight to SXB during the parliamentary week?

C class stretches up to well over the middle of the plane, with the rest being just b. flex.
If you happen to sit in C class on the return flight, you might also wonder why it is done that way as you're pretty much on your own there.These greatly varying loads are the main reason why airlines want complete cabin flexibility and why it is a very bad idea to have a dedicated section of C class seats.

diminbru

Post by diminbru »

euroflyer wrote:Maybe, if this is correct, the seat could be introduced with other LH group airlines as well :?: :)
is this the seat that SN will get next year also?

134flyer

Post by 134flyer »

tolipanebas wrote:Well spotted...
it is indeed basically the same Recaro-seat already in use at LX since 2005 and now also at OS which will soon be found onboard LH too... any guesses what BD will present as its new interior early next year? :lol:
Yes, LH, OS & SN (A319) will get the same new seat, which is indeed a modified seat currently in use by LX. All new aircraft delivered to LX will get this latest seat as well.

Regarding BD, there is some confusion as there are rumors that LH will transfer the latest version of their current seats to BD after they have been replaced with this new seat. So BD would get 'secondhand' LH ones instead of completely new ones. Not sure if this is true, but it could make sense in this 'transition period' of BD, where in the coming years anything can happen from being continued as a LH subsidiary, to being sold or complety getting shut down...

134flyer

Post by 134flyer »

tolipanebas wrote:Similarly, OS will also re-introduce hot meals on medium haul flights of more than 2 hours and improve catering in Y class as it is deemed an 'inexpensive marketing tool' to set itself apart from low costs which offer nothing at all.

Are you listening SN?
In addition to the improved catering of OS, LH will apparently also improve their catering in Y, even on flights under one hour. More info about this improvement will come when LH will introduce their New Europe Seat on 15 December.

In German: http://www.welt.de/reise/article1117951 ... ks-an.html

So after LX has already have improved their European Y catering some months ago, http://www.swiss.com/web/EN/about_swiss ... 00929.aspx and LH & OS will now follow, what will SN do? Perhaps for starters getting rid of b.light, as suggested by tolipanebas?

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

I know it's not "new" anymore, but I just read an article (http://www.airtransportnews.aero/articl ... =&id=27034) about SN's efforts to reduce CO2 and that pax now can offset their CO2 emmissions. At the end of the article there is a bit more information about SN's green efforts. One of the points is: "In the course of 2011, the weight of Airbus A319 aircraft will also be reduced by the placement of new lighter seats on board.". So these new seats will be the light Recaro seats? In the article they mention "in the course of 2011", has anyone a more precise idea about when the A319's will get their new seats. And about the 4 new A319's, will they get the new seats as from delivery? And what about the A320's, will they get these seats or not?