Small habits when flying...

A forum to discuss all aviation items (not for latest aviation news and military aviation news)

Moderator: Latest news team

SpottairBRU

Small habits when flying...

Post by SpottairBRU »

Hello everybody!

Last night, I was discussing with some friends about some habits we have in everyday life. And I noticed that when traveling by air, two were recurring, although I absolutely do not know where they come from:

- when I am boarding a plane, just before effectively entering the door, I always knock two times on the fuselage with my right hand (don't ask why!);
- upon landing, I am (silently) counting down from 10 to zero, trying to match the "zero" with the touchdown on the runway (with a good success rate). I tried to not do that countdown on my last two flights, but I finally ended up doing it.

I would be curious to hear if you too, you have some habits when you are flying! Please do not be ashamed to share them ;)
Fabien
Flown: AA5 / A300-310-318-319-320-321-330-340-380 / ATR42 / B717-737-747-757-777 / Bae146 / C130H / CRJ700-900 / Dash8-Q400 / E145-195 / Fokker 50 / HS748 / MD81 / RJ85-100 / Robin DR400

capetown

Re: Small habits when flying...

Post by capetown »

Well, we have similar habits :) : when boarding, I first put my full left hand on the plane (left side of the door) (like giving it a kind of blessing), and then repeat this with my full right hand (right side of the entrance door) ...

Desert Rat

Post by Desert Rat »

Me too, I always start the flight with a kick in the Tire... 8-)

Stij

Post by Stij »

A few habits:

When departing from Belgium in the evening, after all the hassle and stupid check-points, I always drink a large Leffe (in BRU on draught, in CRL unfortunately from the can).
When landing I always close my eyes and guess when we touch-down by feeling the rotation of the aircraft.
When into final approach into JFK or EWR, I always start to sing inside my head "Start spreading the news...".
When flying intercontinental I always drink a Gin&Tonic when they serve the cocktails (no, I'm not an alcoholic!).

That's about it I guess!

Cheers,

Stij

P.S. About the things we have in common, George Carlin made a few beautiful shows about it, parts 2 and 3 plus the bonus are airline related :

Part 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYFNTUgznSw
Part 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DagVklB4VHQ
Part 3 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjKciefHo38

Bonus:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hq8pd0fDNaA

Homo Aeroportus

Post by Homo Aeroportus »

Funny but I also had this G&T habit during a long haul flight though never drinking it anywhere else !

In the "can't help doing it" is checking my watch when gear goes down as this is around passing OM or 2 minute flight time before TD.

A more recent one, post Helios, is to "hold my breath" if the FSB sign doesn't come off after some time. Can't help thinking that the next bad news is the deployment of "air bags".

Things I NEVER did and you'll never see me doing (yeah, never say never and I'll may be tempted to do it with a "plastic" bird like the Seven-Late-Seven) is to touch the fuselage on boarding, or whatever part of the plane on the ground.
I don't feel like being the "best" path for any remaining electricity that wants to run off to ground and can't wait passing through the ti/yres.

Another one, though I'm not so much in this now, is to be in the boarding bridge cab right in front of the 1L door when it opens.
It did not happen often (think last was in JFK 15 years ago) but having to deal with a furious escape slide that blows out into the bridge is no fun. Knowk on the door signalling it is OK but stay out of the way.

H.A.

P.S. : after all it's not a good idea to touch the plastic bird either. Certainly just after landing in pre-storm conditions. Plastic or metal, these tubes make huge capacitors don't they?

Desert Rat

Post by Desert Rat »

Homo Aeroportus wrote:
P.S. : after all it's not a good idea to touch the plastic bird either. Certainly just after landing in pre-storm conditions. Plastic or metal, these tubes make huge capacitors don't they?
There's static discharger all around the trailing edge, primary flight controls and flap track fairings...also when they uplift fuel, the boozer connects the A/C to the ground, so there's no problem.

regi

Post by regi »

Strange habits?
just a few, but practical:
  • first I check if there is a vomit bag around, and I check it if my predecessor didn't make a hole in it. :o
    Untill some years ago, I asked entering the plane if this was the right plane. Sounds stupid, except if you accidentally find out that you are on a wrong plane by chatting with the neighbour. Don't ask me how I made this mistake. Alcohol was not involved. Something with a delayed flight and crossing another flight. In Thailand of course...

cathay belgium

Post by cathay belgium »

Hi,
SpottairBRU wrote:when I am boarding a plane, just before effectively entering the door, I always knock two times on the fuselage with my right hand (don't ask why!)
Only one knock,but not always.. ( on new types,carriers,.. )
Stij wrote:When into final approach into JFK or EWR, I always start to sing inside my head "Start spreading the news...".
I definately gonna share this one ( in 2011 finally :D ) but i promised it will be already by checking in at the counters of baggage drop...
Stij wrote:When flying intercontinental I always drink a Gin&Tonic when they serve the cocktails (no, I'm not an alcoholic!).
This is strange, I share the G&T habbit on long-haul 'free' flights in the past,..

My new one, before take-off in BRU ANY type but for sure a STARBUCKS coffee before boarding..
( & took this habit already to other Starbucks destinations.. ( STN-DUB-.. ).
( Caramel Machiatto XL )

My daughter always is in search of the safety-card ...

Nice topic.. ;) :lol:

CX-B
New types flown 2022.. A339

earthman

Post by earthman »

Homo Aeroportus wrote: P.S. : after all it's not a good idea to touch the plastic bird either. Certainly just after landing in pre-storm conditions. Plastic or metal, these tubes make huge capacitors don't they?
Just wait for the first person hospitalized because he got a shock from touching a 787 after a (black!) cat has been rubbing against the fuselage.

Stij

Post by Stij »

It's amazing how many peopole drink a G&T on an airplane!

Here's another strange habit: Only works at out-stations: before going to the departure lounge, I check the arrival screens for a delayed incoming flight. In general, the arrival screens lie less about delays, then the departure screens or the check-in agent... ETA later then STD, "No Sir, I guarantee your flight will depart punctual"... NOT!

Cheers,

Stij

Homo Aeroportus

Desert Rat wrote: ..also when they uplift fuel, the boozer connects the A/C to the ground, so there's no problem.
This type of refueling bowser in any way related to the Gin & Tonic subject ?
;)

H.A.

Desert Rat

Post by Desert Rat »

...Absolutly... ;) ...

Shanti

Post by Shanti »

what about pilots and flight attendants? do they have small habits when flying? :D

fretn

Post by fretn »

Add met too to the Gin Tonic habit :D!
I tastes better in the air than on the ground.

Stij

Post by Stij »

Next time I see a guy/girl ordering a G&T, I'll ask if he/she's on Luchtzak! ;-)

Cheers,

Stij

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

For every flight, I make a note of : the registration, company, type and name (if any) of the aircraft, name of the captain (if I can catch it on the PA), time of take-off and landing - in a kind of passenger's log book.

Homo Aeroportus

airazurxtror wrote:For every flight, I make a note of : the registration, company, type and name (if any) of the aircraft, name of the captain (if I can catch it on the PA), time of take-off and landing - in a kind of passenger's log book.
How about adding a note on the quality service (if any ...), or of the landing?
Remember the old one : Instructor to student pilot "Son, for this landing I'll give ya a niner .... on the Richter scale !"
:D

smokejumper

Post by smokejumper »

If possible, I check the manufacturer's date of manufacture plackard fastened tothe door frame. I don't know why I do this, but I do.

taz001

Post by taz001 »

when flying longhaul, I always put on the 'airline socks' from the amenity kit :-)

earthman

Post by earthman »

Gin & Tonic tastes like eau de cologne that has been used to flush someone's wax-filled ears.