Steenokkerzeel - finally! - wants to build a spotter's place

Share pictures, log-reports, special aircraft, nice events, hints and tips from the Belgian airports

Moderator: Plane spotting team

MIVB-reiziger

Steenokkerzeel - finally! - wants to build a spotter's place

Post by MIVB-reiziger »

Nobody has seen this?

From deredactie.be (http://www.deredactie.be/cm/vrtnieuws/r ... elSpotters):
Steenokkerzeel wil "spottersterrein" inrichten

vr 17/12/2010 - 20:27 De gemeente Steenokkerzeel wil een terrein voor vliegtuigspotters inrichten. Wie nu de landende vliegtuigen wil bekijken, moet aan de kant van de weg gaan staan en dat is niet veilig, klinkt het. Een locatie is er, maar het geld nog niet.

Inwoners van de gemeente klagen al lang dat de vliegtuigspotters zowat overal hun hobby staan te beoefenen. Sommige spotters staan zelfs op het kerkhof van Steenokkerzeel.

Het gemeentebestuur heeft een akkoord over de locatie, maar zoekt nog extra geld. "Het is de inrichting van het terrein die zeer duur is. We moeten zorgen voor veiligheid, controles, enzomeer, dat kost allemaal veel geld", aldus de schepen van Leefmilieu.

Steenokkerzeel gaat nu bij de provincie en bij Europa aankloppen voor subsidies.
Google Translate gives this in English:
Fri 17/12/2010 - 20:27 Steenokkerzeel The municipality will organize a field spotters. Whoever wants to see the landing aircraft, to the side of the road and that is not safe, it sounds. A location is there, but the money yet.

Residents of the city have long complained that the plane-spotters are everywhere to practice their hobby. Some spotters are even in the cemetery of Steenokkerzeel.

The city council has an agreement on the location, but is still looking for extra money. "It's the layout of the site which is very expensive. We need to ensure security, controls, etc. anymore, they all have much money, " said the ships of the Environment.

Steenokkerzeel is now in the province and in turn for European subsidies.
Anyone has an idea which location they have found for this?

jan_olieslagers

Re: Steenokkerzeel - finally! - wants to build a spotter's p

Post by jan_olieslagers »

Heard it on the radio, yes. Basically it is good news, but as I read the message they want some kind of access control which would spoil a lot of the fun. Why can't they simply arrange some parking lots, preferably on non-through roads, perhaps with a maximum parking time of 12 or 24 hours? Easiest for all, and not expensive at all. And security checks are still possible.

jan_olieslagers

See if I can translate better (not heard to beat a machine on this game...)

Fri 17/12/2010 - 20:27 Steenokkerzeel The municipality wants to create a place dedicated to aircraft spotters. Whoever wants to see the landing aircraft must now do so from along the road and that is unsafe. A location was already found, but budget is lacking.

Residents of the city have long complained that the plane-spotters are everywhere to practice their hobby. Some spotters are even in the cemetery of Steenokkerzeel.

The city council have agreed on the location, but are still looking for extra money. "It's the layout of the site which is very expensive. We need to ensure security, controls, etc. All that takes much money, " said the councillor in charge of Environment.

Steenokkerzeel is now turning to provincial and European authorities for subsidies.

torchus

Post by torchus »

25R then ? Or is the 25L threshold also in Steenokkerzeel ?

Anyways, good news, curious for the outcome.

And I agree with Jan, why is security control needed ? Or do they want us to pay to park our cars there ?

jan_olieslagers

torchus wrote:25R then ? Or is the 25L threshold also in Steenokkerzeel ?
I think it must be. At least the refugee centre "126B" is in Steenokkerzeel. The threshold might be on Kortenberg territory, though.

Edit: according to www.openstreetmap.org , it is all Steenokkerzeel, even the Jumbo tavern is, though really on the edge.
http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=50.89 ... 7&layers=M

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

jan_olieslagers wrote:Steenokkerzeel is now turning to provincial and European authorities for subsidies.
Provincial authorities, OK, but why should Europe be involved in that? If they do it for BRU, they should do it for any airport in the EU!
André
ex Sabena #26567

jan_olieslagers

Allowing my most cynical self to speak out aloud, I can't help wondering if they're perhaps searching for a good explanation to NOT do anything in the next couple of years, with a most solid excuse.

LAGPanoramic

Post by LAGPanoramic »

jan_olieslagers wrote:The city council have agreed on the location, but are still looking for extra money. "It's the layout of the site which is very expensive. We need to ensure security, controls, etc. All that takes much money, " said the councillor in charge of Environment.

Steenokkerzeel is now turning to provincial and European authorities for subsidies.
I'm wondering what is so expensive??? I can not believe that the layout of a spotters location takes much money...
And when I see how much money is spent on useless roundabouts sometimes...

speedbird1

Post by speedbird1 »

http://www.manchesterairport.co.uk/manw ... iewingPark

Always worth a visit, I'm not sure on the money side but it made a big difference at Manchester. Also gives people a place to visit at weekends, the Manchester viewing point is very popular in the summer.

Cheers,
Ems

Devon Rex

Post by Devon Rex »

Emirates wrote:http://www.manchesterairport.co.uk/manw ... iewingPark

Always worth a visit, I'm not sure on the money side but it made a big difference at Manchester. Also gives people a place to visit at weekends, the Manchester viewing point is very popular in the summer.

Cheers,
Ems
Yeah but it has very little added value for spotters, when you know you have the sun in front of you all day long...

speedbird1

Post by speedbird1 »

I fear a photographers vs spotters thread hijack coming up, so I'll stop there :| Either way its worth a visit if you're ever in Manchester.

Rgds,
Ems

SN539

Post by SN539 »

Devon Rex wrote:
Emirates wrote:http://www.manchesterairport.co.uk/manw ... iewingPark

Cheers,
Ems
Yeah but it has very little added value for spotters, when you know you have the sun in front of you all day long...
I'm not really sure that sun is often a problem in Manchester ....

Devon Rex

Post by Devon Rex »

Emirates wrote:I fear a photographers vs spotters thread hijack coming up, so I'll stop there :| Either way its worth a visit if you're ever in Manchester.

Rgds,
Ems
Trust me, that is far from my intention :) I just wanted to mention it ;)

SN056M

Post by SN056M »

this is good news,but i wonder when we going to have that place...in 2015 or so.....
Marc

brubhxbru

Post by brubhxbru »

Actually, although the Sun is against you most of the day (especially in Winter) the public Manchester location is excellent for photography from about 1530 until 2030 in the late Spring and early Summer. What it has been severely criticised for in more recent times is the high cost of entry. Going back to the Steenokkerzeel initiative, I do hope that, if they are serious, they will give consideration to the photography aspect. Perhaps the local spotters association (do you have one?) should seek to have consultation meetings with the council officials.

MIVB-reiziger

Post by MIVB-reiziger »

The public Manchester location? What's that?

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

MIVB-reiziger wrote:The public Manchester location? What's that?
Manchester has a superb spotters area, next to the BA Concorde!
André
ex Sabena #26567

MIVB-reiziger

Post by MIVB-reiziger »

sn26567 wrote:
MIVB-reiziger wrote:The public Manchester location? What's that?
Manchester has a superb spotters area, next to the BA Concorde!
Oh okay, I thought it was some place around BRU (a pub or other thing called Manchester). Didn't notice the earlier posts about Manchester airport.