Brussels airport (EBBR) Any ideas how to make it succesful?

A forum to discuss all aviation items (not for latest aviation news and military aviation news)

Moderator: Latest news team

Vinnie-Winnie

Brussels airport (EBBR) Any ideas how to make it succesful?

Post by Vinnie-Winnie »

Hi everyone,

For my first input in this community, I decided to ask everyone their opinion about how to make EBBR succesful and busy again...

As everyone who flew to Brussels may have seen, Brussels has become an airport which is at its worse 3/4 empty!(this is guess) Having flown regularly from Brussels to Heathrow, the contrast is striking...
So everyone who has got ideas about how to change this is welcome! Technical knowledge and contrasting views are welcome!
I've got my own ideas, but I will leave them for later...

Zorba

Post by Zorba »

Get a new gouvrnement (Regering dus) :twisted:
No I don't know realy, we have the best accomodation (new Pier A, new control Tower, great ground services (I think :wink: ))

We are an airport between CDG, Heathrow and Schiphol, we had some great traffic with Sabena (and Swiss), but I think most of the traffic goes to the other airports ...

We only have great cargo planes here, still growing, maybe that will be the future : BRU "Cargo" Airport ...

Anyway, I'm still happy that Vueling starts operations to BRU, very nice!

Kind Regards,
Rutger
Tot hier en verder

Captain

Post by Captain »

I think they should increase the number of low fare airlines using the airport. I.e allow Easy Jet in and other airlines.

SN Brussels has a good coverage of the African continent which is not necessarily the case of other European airports. So a hub or gateway to Africa would be also be a good thing for the airport. Other airports of similar size in Europe have succeeded in this i.e. Vienna. To further improve this, SN Brussels will have to join a major alliance.

Captain

Sabena_690

Post by Sabena_690 »

This is a complicated question...

First of all, something I would like to know: how many Belgians make how many flights from foreign airports, like AMS/MST/DUS/...?

There is the biggest market I think: win those passengers back. How?
Well, for that, you have to know to where those passengers fly, and who those passengers are.

x how many pax a year take a charterflight/scheduled flight/lowcost flight from EIN/MST/DUS/LILLE/...?
x why do those passengers use those airports?

The last question is very important: is it for the price of the carriers flying there? For example: Germanwings/Hapag Lloyd Express from CGN, or Air Berlin from DUS/CGN.
Or for the convenience? Quite a lot of people live close to DUS. DUS has a lot of daily flights to FRA and MUC, where you can make connections to almost everywhere in the world.

Now it is up to BIAC to work out a marketing-strategy.
- what can you offer to business passengers to convince them to fly from BRU?
- what can you offer to the price-sensitive passenger?
- what can you offer to the charterpassenger?

1) to the business passenger: what do those people want? A space where they can work in silence before their flight, even if they can't enter the lounge of the airline they are flying? Are they interested for example in the possibility to get access to free big meeting rooms at BRU, if they use BRU x times a year for their travels? Etc etc

2) to the price-sensitive customer: BRU has to attract lowcost! So that passengers do not have to use CGN if they want to fly for €80 to VIE for example. Another thing: lower the overexpensive price of the carparks in front of the terminal if you want to attract more people.

3) to the charter passenger: pax are attracted these days with reductions if they use OST/LGG to depart from. Biac has to check out what the options are to make that BRU is as attractive for the charter airline as LGG and OST.

Although economics play a role into this (will our revenue go down if a lower airport tax does not attract enough additional traffic?), BRU will have to lower their airport tax to attract more traffic I think. We are way too expensive.

One last thing: within 3 years, the Thalys will be able to drive very fast from BRU to AMS. This means that BIAC has only 3 years left to attract enough traffic, to make from BRU a good alternative, so that pax don't have to go to AMS. It's now that BIAC will have to react, not within 3 years when it is too late.

Frederic

killerwhale65

Post by killerwhale65 »

Fred, i went to Miami twice from AMS with Martinair.

Reason: first time: Citybird (the only direct to MIA from BRU) was waaaayyyyy too expensive compared to Martinair
second time: Citybird did not exist anymore

So since those two times were the very first time i flew alone, it was such a big distance, and also the very first time i went to the States, i wanted a direct flight (i mean stopovers are allowed but i didnt wanna switch planes).

Hope this helps you out a bit :)

PS: if i would do it again i might start it BRU now with an american carrier.
Last edited by killerwhale65 on 02 Jul 2004, 15:40, edited 1 time in total.
Matthias Thoen
MicroWings - Aviation Hobby Store

vince1975be

Post by vince1975be »

As a regular traveler, BRU just doesn't offer me what I (and most people in our company) need. It lacks the presence of a carrier with global presence and are miles behind with offering direct long haul flights. Currently we have our home carrier SN only flying to Europe and Africa. Hence, if you need to fly to the US, you have to take another airline; to Asia, you have to go through another airport which is the same for destinations in South America, Australia, Canada etc. which makes BRU less attractive than LHR or AMS for example.

If we look at the business travel segment, most companies and especially big multinational companies based in Belgium that do a lot of travel, have a special arrangement with airline carriers (e.g. to get lower fares, get rebates at the end of the year etc.) The business traveler him/herself on the other hand wants to collect frequent flyer miles with one or two airlines, but not with 10. So, what will companies and their travelers do ? They will look at a global player like BA, LH or KL that can get them nearly everywhere from an airport that is only 1 hr by air away.

My simple advice for BRU and SNBA: get more long haul destinations. An airport that doesn't have any connection with Asia is worhtless nowadays. And if BIAC or SNBA think it's economically not viable to open long haul routes since our market is too little, I would say: take a look at AMS. The Netherlands are not that much bigger than Belgium...

And one last advice to SNBA: stop that codesharing with AA on flights to the US and fly with own equipment/crews. It's frustrating to be on an "SN"-coded flight with planes and crews that are waaaay below SNBA's excellent standards.

Vinnie-Winnie

Thanks! +My own thoughts now!

Post by Vinnie-Winnie »

Hi people,

Thanks for the number of replies!!! And the many interesting comments made... Maybe if we carry-on like that we could send these thoughts to biac!!!! Will they listen though...???

My first thought is that with 10 million inhabitants Belgium is way too small to have a large national flag carrier which flies all over the world! Look at Sabena yes they it made huge mistakes but it also couldn't compete against its neighbours! (Klm has not fared better but thanks to its management it survived and now has merged with AIr France)
We are also surrounded by large airports which have a larger catchman area. Think about Paris London Frankfurt or even Amsterdam... Is it really possible to compete against them? In particular in the long haul sector. Let me doubt this...
The good thing is that Brussels as the capital of Europe has about 20000 european civil servants. Add the multinational companies and I suppose U can double or triple that amount. A good network such as the one SN BRUSSELS AIRLINES is building is a sound investment. But this won't solve the problem of Brussels Airport being empty! Maybe carrying on like building an even larger European Network will help! BUT Most Airline companies don't make much profit out of it! (Think of BA) + If U introduce the likes of easyjet or ryannair say bye bye to SN BRUSSELS AIRLINES!

I don't see much future in both competing against the other airports and introducing low cost airlines which pay ridiculous low landing fees!

What about becoming the 3rd airport of Paris, or the new airport of London?Readily available facilities not too far away from Charles de Gaulle or Heathrow by train or plane... Don't u think it makes sense? The problem is I suppose that governments will want the extra employment in their country and that Brussels inhabitants will complain!

Carry one people!

Vincent

MD-11

Post by MD-11 »

killerwhale65 wrote:Fred, i went to Miami twice from AMS with Martinair.

Reason: first time: Citybird (the only direct to MIA from BRU) was waaaayyyyy too expensive compared to Martinair
In Sept 1999 I flew BRU-MIA-BRU with CTB for only 15000 Belgian Franks 8)
When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

killerwhale65

Post by killerwhale65 »

sure, i believe you, but CTB used a policy of the earlier you book, the cheaper. ANd i couldnt book earlier then 1 month or less in front.... Thats why Martinair was way cheaper at that time.
Matthias Thoen
MicroWings - Aviation Hobby Store

TWA

Re: Thanks! +My own thoughts now!

Post by TWA »

Vinnie-Winnie wrote:Hi people,
What about becoming the 3rd airport of Paris, or the new airport of London?Readily available facilities not too far away from Charles de Gaulle or Heathrow by train or plane... Don't u think it makes sense? The problem is I suppose that governments will want the extra employment in their country and that Brussels inhabitants will complain!

Carry one people!

Vincent

Why don't other companies like AF/KL or LH start long haul operations out of BRU. I think BA and VS are eager to start these kind of flights as LHR and LGW are getting packed.

These companies could use BRU as a sattelite airport next to their existing hub, just like vince says. I thought European regulations would allow that by now.

SNBA is just way too small to start off again in between all the majors.

Just imagine Virgin Atlantic service from BRU to JNB. Wauw.

TWA

ATC

Post by ATC »

The problem is difficult for BRU, because nowbody knows what their mayor strategy is ? :?:
For the moment I have the feeling that they are protecting SNBA.
BIAC gives SNBA the change to grow on its own ritme. But like some people in the forum allready said BRU doesn't have more than 3 years to become a player again. :D

My suggestions: :wink:

1)If SNBA doesn't have the sources the open new international routes, BRU should attract a mayor globel player(s) to connect BRU with the rest of the world (especially Asia and Nort-America).

2)BRU is the capital of Europe, NATO, ... BRU must play out its important role in Europe and the world. For the moment they don't sell them self to the rest of the world.
one example: I few weeks ago Singapore Airlines had some trouble in AMS, BRU should react immediatly and offer an alternative... but no, they are like sitting ducks and do nothing... :cry:
They should become more marketing minded.
Different mayor airlines want to expand and are looking for new routes and airports.
BRU should react now... :!:

3)SNBA must join an alliance, I think oneworld is the most logic for the moment. The alliance will use BRU for its African network and they will connect BRU with the rest of the world...

The moment is now and not in 2005, 2006, 2007 ... the clock is tiking... and the competition (AMS,LHR, CDG, FRA) is becoming bigger and bigger...

They should react now and offer the airport to every airline who wants to fly out or connect BRU with the rest of the world. They must stop with the protection of the small local airlines that are operating in BRU now...
Put the market open and BRU will expand automatically... :D

Greetings,
ATC

qnnm

Post by qnnm »

Maybe if we carry-on like that we could send these thoughts to biac!!!! Will they listen though...???
Don't worry, Biac reads these comments.
Let's hope some more ideas will follow, nice topic !

Glider

Post by Glider »

Yesterday I had a nice view related to this topic. It seems BRU looks quite good in rush hour :-). Yesterday, I was working at a RAM 757 when suddenly I saw 2 planes (air baltic and aer lingus) which were not able to get to the gate (simply because there were no free ones). I had this strange feeling that BRU really is a busy airport ;-).

Vinnie-Winnie

Post by Vinnie-Winnie »

Thanks qnnm, always nice to be encouraged!

Totally agree ATC the oneworld alliance is probably the one to join... LHR and AND LGW are too full to full and SN could operate routes in africa that both BA and AA don't serve! Saying that BA reduced its presence at LGW... Does that mean that they don't need more capacity?

Zorba

Post by Zorba »

one example: I few weeks ago Singapore Airlines had some trouble in AMS, BRU should react immediatly and offer an alternative... but no, they are like sitting ducks and do nothing...
Too bad I must second that. It would be great if Signapore would do even more flight from BRU!

@ Glider : Indeed, I also thought we have "much" more traffic at the moment then let's say 2 months ago. I see 5 planes on APP quite regular now. Probably cause of the vacation...

Regards,
Rutger
Tot hier en verder

744rules

Post by 744rules »

Rutger, Glider,

do not forget that that BRU has different terminals for Schengen and Non-Schengen arrivals/departures. It's not because a flight can be docked to the B-pier, that the whole airport is busy. This can give a wrong idea.

About international traffic at BRU :

If memory serves right, BA had plans to make BRU a hub for all their african destinations. At that time, MAN, would become a similiar (BA) hub for the american destinations. These ideas circled around at the time there were talks between SN and BA.

Another item that might attract new traffic, is to cancel all night and noise restrictions, but no politician will dare to even think about this option.

Glider

Post by Glider »

Yup, I agree. But these 2 flights I saw were both waiting to get on the B-pier. This one was completely full. Also the southern side of the A-pier (the only one I could see from gate 204, where I was working).

Yesterday otherwise, it was a quite boring day at work. I nearly sat the half of the time inside, waiting to handle some flights... Even between 7 am and 8.30 am, we had nothing to do... Worries me a bit... (don't know the reason for that though)

SN1985

Post by SN1985 »

I think SN Brussels Airlines is gaining passengers but they have a long way to go. Their product is verrrryyy good and the service is exellent and that's what a good airline needs. But I think Belgium is too small for two carriers, SNBA&Virgin. A merger between them is a good solution. If they work togheter they have 40% of the market wich gives them a strong position during negotiations and both carriers have more routes wich is important to attract passengers. But the main question is, how they merger two airlines with a different strategy. Ther merger is essential for BRU, I think, otherwise BRU is going to loose passengers in the future.
If I want to travel I want to collect miles and a good service. If people are going on holiday, they want to start their holiday when they take their flight. When you travel for business you want to relax for a moment and enjoy a drink and fly againt an attractive fare, not to expensive.(also for leisure). So, when i travel to Malaga for example I fly with SN to Madrid and I continue my flight with Iberia. This gives me the possibility to collect miles and enjoy a good service. I think the frequent flyer programs are the future for airlines like SN, BA, KLM. It's a way to gain passengers and keep them. But you need to offer a big network. A lot of business people will choose KLM or BA because they offer a lot of long haul destination and they have big partnerships like one world.
Maybe SNBA should start flights to Asia and combine two destinations a time like SN is doing on the routes to Africa. Austrian works also with this strategy. And if BIAC wants to get a better position between AMS and CDG they need to support these roads and help SN with promotion, ... Theyneed to work together to put BRU back on the map.
Does anyone know something about the merger from SNBA and Virgin?

Flybe

Post by Flybe »

within 3 years, the Thalys will be able to drive very fast from BRU to AMS. This means that BIAC has only 3 years left to attract enough traffic
That's a 2 edged sword: Passengers can also get quickly from AMs to BRU. The problem here lies more with NMBS (national railways) that takes all the time there is to connected the high speed net with BRU...

As about making tha airport low cost: i think that then you will scare also the business passengers away... Better would be that Charleroi gets privatised and that BRU would take a stake in it, so it can build Charleroi as a low cost airport.

And this next thing is very interesting. Look at http://www.brusselsairport.be/statistics/ and take a look at the passenger stats. The numbers are very detailed underneath the graphics. If you look closer you'll see that the number of local pax is already again at the level from 2000. Why? Well, people who need to come to brussels, mainly STILL do come by BRU. Yes, some will come through AMS or CDG, but most still take direct flights. But it's the connecting pax that make the difference now, and it are those that made the airport look very busy. But i guess that connecting pax aren't so profitable for airlines as SNBA.

Anyway, my point is: you can ask for more flights from different airlines to BRU (like vueling that will compete with Iberia now), but do you get more passengers because of that? No, they will just be spread over more flights. I think it isn't a bad idea to focus on SNBA, they are the only one that can augment the amount of connecting pax in BRU. Simply because it's the only airline with a (mini)hub in BRU (not counting VEX here).

What should happen: i would like to see a coordinated effort from the brussels and national government and biac and airlines flying to biac, promoting brussels as both a business and leisure destination. Coordinated efforts and coordinated resources (such as the budget) are much more effective. And i think that airlines would be interested in such a proposal.

Sorry if my post is quite chaotic, i've only slept 6h the last 2 nights (i was at Rock Werchter, it was great, but going to bed at 7am is what 'kills' you 8) Especially if you get up respectively at 11 and 9:30 :roll:

Greets, now i have to hurry, i'm expected in Brussels!

Pieter

website-info

Post by website-info »

Hi All,

just my few pennies worth, I fly ALOT for work and pleasure, and I for one prefer to drive to DUS or CGN to fly, th echoice is far far greater for destinations, with regular carriers and of course LTU who have a fantastic long haul network, just booked to South Africa for E193 each way plus tax, on the dyas I want to travel and at times I want to travel, they also have great flights to the far east. Short haul carriers with great networks from DUS, and after my last flight with SNBA....... not any more for me I'm afraid......... I wrote a compliant, got a reply from a handling agent (incl a phone call at home - thank you SNBA for giving out my private number......) and nothing from SNBA in reply to my questions........... so if they can't be bothered, I can't be bothered and the same is felt by friends and collegues I'm afraid. DUS / CDG and AMS are the best choice for me.

Rgds
Tony