How to start spotting @ EBBR

Share pictures, log-reports, special aircraft, nice events, hints and tips from the Belgian airports

Moderator: Plane spotting team

rotor

How to start spotting @ EBBR

Post by rotor »

Hello,

It would be nice to try out my new Nikon D70 while spotting planes @ EBBR.
Where can I take best position and is it legal to stand next to the airport, taking pictures ?

So if someone can give me the basics of spotting, thank you...!

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

André
ex Sabena #26567

Andries

Post by Andries »

By car :

take the highway to Brussels. When you enter 'De Ring' follow it untill you see the signs to the airport and follow those. BUT when you see Cargo, you should ignore those to the airport and only follow the cargo-signs. Once you are near the cargo, just follow the signs to Steenokkerzeel ... When you are driving allong Melsbroek, you should see a carwash (I believe it's called 'otodoesh' or something like that) on your right side, If I'm not mistaking, it's the first road to the right after that carwash. Then just keep following the road. When you see a sign 'Leuven/Kortenberg' you should start following that. Then just keep following that road and eventually you'll stumble on the approach of 25 Left. (On the map André gave you : Spotting A)

http://www.planepictures.net/netshow.cgi?233961

http://www.planepictures.net/netshow.cgi?229813

If you missed the sign 'Leuven/Kortenberg', you will eventually go though a tunnel under 25L. When you just came out of the tunnel, you will have the refugee-center on your left. Park your car a bit further down the road and return on foot. When you are back at the refugee-center you should follow a small road on the right of the center. when you finally come to the fence of the airport, you'll notice that the refugee-center is located higher and that you can look over the fence of the airport to take good pictures. (On the map André gave you : between Spotting A and Spotting B)

http://www.planepictures.net/netshow.cgi?233937

http://www.planepictures.net/netshow.cgi?162542

By train :

Take the train to one of the 3 Brussels trainstations (Nord, Central, Midi) and get of there. Then take the train to Leuven, but the one who stops in every station. When you get on the train, you should get of at 'Kortenberg' about 15 minutes after you left Brussels. When you get off the train, you see allot of houses on one side of the trainstation and trees and a road on the other side of the station. You should go to the side with the trees. then just follow the road 'up the hill' and you'll find yourself at the approach of 25L after about 10 minutes walking. (Spotting A)
If you want, you can get to that second spot too from there. You just have to walk allong the fence of the airport (I was told it takes about 30 minutes)
But be aware, only 1 train from Brussels to Kortenberg each hour. So make sure you don't have to wait 45 minutes for your train at Brussels.

I included some pics of 2 Luchtzak-members to illustrate the spots ... Hope this helped.

Greetz,

:twisted: Andries :twisted:
Don't dream your life, live your dream !!!

rotor

Post by rotor »

Well .... :D

Thank you very much for this information. It's very very helpfull.

Should I check the winddirection before I go to the 25L spot, or is this landingstrip always in use ?

And again...thanks to you both.

:wink:

MD-11

Post by MD-11 »

Because of roadworks the road that goes from the Haachtsesteenweg to Steenokkerzeel "city" will be closed until november.
But there is a deviation.
When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

Fabke

Post by Fabke »

Or you can try my website :wink:
Regards,
Fabke
www.airshows.be

rotor

Post by rotor »

OK, Thank you all...with this information I can start my first spotting-day :)

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

rotor wrote:OK, Thank you all...with this information I can start my first spotting-day :)
Good luck!

B744skipper

Post by B744skipper »

rotor wrote:OK, Thank you all...with this information I can start my first spotting-day :)
Also good luck from me, and have fun. :thumbsup:

Avro

Post by Avro »

I just saw this topic and see that all the usefull info has allready been given to you rotor. :)
with this information I can start my first spotting-day :)
Have fun rotor, and if you want to meet some people just tell us when you're going. Maybe one of us will be able to join you.

Greetz
Chris
8)

rotor

Big failure

Post by rotor »

Hello,

My first spotting day (01 / august @ EBBR was a big failure.

I parked my car at cafe "Jumbo" and walked in the fields next to a double fence :? ,so nothing could be seen from there, after 30min. of walk I noticed there was a small hill next to a high green fence. I could see the runway (I think 25L) but it took 10-15 minutes to see a plane taking off...and I was late so it was getting too dark.
Today I'll try again today and will bring my bike :) so I can go around the terrain.
Wind is the same as yesterday, so says the TAF 9 hours, so I will try to reach a runway where I see them land. Anyway, new try today...

Kapitein

Post by Kapitein »

Procedures for the moment
Landing: 02
Take-off: 07R

Procedures can change to
Landing: 25L
Take-off: 02

25R is closed due to works

concordino

Post by concordino »

@rotor

Are you sure you went to Brussels/Zaventem as there were plenty of departures all day and evening from 07R (opposite end of 25L)?

Why not try going on to the top level of the car park at the terminal to get acquainted with the area before going off into the countryside? You will then know the runway in use and can choose your spotting place accordingly. As you have a car I suggest that you drive around a bit - go up those small roads to see where they lead - you may find what you are looking for!

Concordino

Fabke

Re: Big failure

Post by Fabke »

rotor wrote:Hello,

I parked my car at cafe "Jumbo" and walked in the fields next to a double fence :? ,so nothing could be seen from there, after 30min. of walk I noticed there was a small hill next to a high green fence. I could see the runway (I think 25L) but it took 10-15 minutes to see a plane taking off...and I was late so it was getting too dark.
Today I'll try again today and will bring my bike :) so I can go around the terrain.
Wind is the same as yesterday, so says the TAF 9 hours, so I will try to reach a runway where I see them land. Anyway, new try today...
Sorry mate , but I'm affraid it's your fault that your day wasn't that good :? , we all gave you sites with spottingguides , even on my site there's a complete guide telling you where to drive , where you can see something , but sometimes I'm asking myself why I do all this work if people even don't do the effort to take a look at this info :roll: :cry:
Last edited by Fabke on 02 Aug 2004, 17:33, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
Fabke
www.airshows.be

Bottie

Re: Big failure

Post by Bottie »

rotor wrote:Hello,

I'm sorry to hear your trip turned out into a dissapointment ... If you follow the given "spotting-guides" you'll have a nice spotting day, I'm sure :thumbsup:

RyanairNoWay

Post by RyanairNoWay »

Brubiac,

Now that 25R/07L is closed for a long time, indeed the procedure is 07R for take-off and 02 for landing. But are you sure that the other procedure you mentioned is 25L for landing and 02 for take-off ? Just seems strange, because of the almost opposite directions of 25L en 02. Maybe it's only used when winds are calm? Or is it possible that take-off is on 20 and landing on 25L? But since 20 starts at the same position as 25R, is that possible?
Could someone clear things up?

Regards, Jelle

Apuneger

Post by Apuneger »

Hi Rotor,

If takeoff is from 07R, you should be able to see all aircraft rotate close to you when standing on the hill at the refugee center 127Bis. Go there around 9h45 and see all 3 SN BA A330's rotate in front of you! Some other aircraft (cargo's, fully loaden narrowbodies,...) will also take off in front of your eyes. At the end of 07R (.i.e. at the Kortenbergsesteenweg) most aircraft are too high to make good pictures but it's still good for reg spotting.

When aircraft land and take off from 02 (UK and US bound heavies do, most of the time as well as NL narrowbodies), drive through the 07R/25L tunnel direction of Nossegem and take a right at the sign of the local soccer club. Continue the road until you reach some sandhills. Park your car over there, watch some traffic on 07R from top of the hills if you want, or walk through the small forest in front of you (west side). It may be creepy for a minute (there's at least one small dirt walkway) but when you're out of the forest you're at 02 and can choose where to spot: at the trees in front of you (lineups are great from there) or more downwards to the road (landing shots e.g.).

The same spot for 02 can also be reached by not taking a right at the soccer club sign but continuing a bit further and take the last road at your right before the railway bridge. But beware that you must park your car where it's allowed and most of the road is only for agriculture vehicles.

Have fun,
Ivan

EBAW_flyer

Post by EBAW_flyer »

Now that 25R/07L is closed for a long time, indeed the procedure is 07R for take-off and 02 for landing. But are you sure that the other procedure you mentioned is 25L for landing and 02 for take-off ? Just seems strange, because of the almost opposite directions of 25L en 02. Maybe it's only used when winds are calm? Or is it possible that take-off is on 20 and landing on 25L? But since 20 starts at the same position as 25R, is that possible?
It is not 02 and 25L but indeed 25L (landing) and 20 (takeoff) unless the heavies can't use 20 (too short) then it is 25L/25L (so backtrack on the 25L).

Kapitein

Post by Kapitein »

RyanairNoWay wrote:Brubiac,

Regards, Jelle
Yesterdaymorning they changed to 25L and 02, not for long and than again 07R and 02. Only the first time I saw this procedure. Maybe the wind was calm enough to do this, don't know it.

I think we gonna see more strange procedures the next weeks.

Kapitein

Post by Kapitein »

RyanairNoWay wrote:Brubiac,

Or is it possible that take-off is on 20 and landing on 25L? But since 20 starts at the same position as 25R, is that possible?

Regards, Jelle
The crossing 25R/20 is still open, they can line-up and clear rwy20/02 via taxiway B1.

Most of the heavy's can go via B1 onto 20 for take-off.