Is 25L more used for take-off ?

Share pictures, log-reports, special aircraft, nice events, hints and tips from the Belgian airports

Moderator: Plane spotting team

Flying-Belgian

Is 25L more used for take-off ?

Post by Flying-Belgian »

Hi guys,

I've been spotting this morning at the 25L (refugee center 127bis). Weather was poor and rainy :? :(

Anyway I noticed that 25L is now more and more used for take-off. Is there a specific reason ? It was the case for one DL 767, one AA 767, one of the two Birdy/SNBA 333 and the BG D10 in not even 1h 1/2 time window.

Now I've seen that many of them had to wait for quite long at the holding point of the taxiway leading to the 25L. The SN 333 burned quite a lot of fuel in this exercise... and then off course they have to do a 360° to line up. So IMO not the easiest/most logical procedure.

:?: Is there any explnanation to this ?

Cheers,

FB.

Jense

Post by Jense »

The reason is simple:
25R isn't available over the whole length (yet), there's only 2500m useable (I think). I think ATC let pilots chooses what they want for TO.

I also saw some other heavies taking off from rwy 25R, such as Saudi MD11-F and Korean B744F.

greettzz

Avro

Post by Avro »

Indeed it's because 25R is restricted in length. But more and more heavies fly on 25R again (landing and T/O)

Greetz
Chris

744rules

Post by 744rules »

The problem with using 25L for take-off is that there is no taxiway to the beginning of the runway. The a/c have to taxi down the runway (this is called backtracking) in order to reach the threshold. If it is an active runway it means the departing a/c have to wait.

The maximum t/o weight to use a certain runway depends on several factors : wind (speed and direction), qnh, temperature, and status (wet, dry, snow, .....).

This is why these days you can see some heavies using 25R from intersection B3 (2780m) and others use 25L

Hope this helps

:wink:

Robin_Bamps

Post by Robin_Bamps »

Hello guys,

This morning (first day of school) a SNBA A330 and an AA B763 crossed our school very low after take-off on runway 25L. Really spectacular to see it suddenly appear in front of the window !

Regards, Robin Bamps.

Kapitein

Post by Kapitein »

TORA via B3 to 25R gives us 2780m

TORA via E6 to 20 gives us 2190m

TORA via C1 to 25L with backtrack gives us 3211m

@ Flying Belgian,
at the end of 25L they do a 180 not a 360, otherwise they will be in the same direction as they started. :wink: