BRU terminal C + admin building

A forum to discuss all aviation items (not for latest aviation news and military aviation news)

Moderator: Latest news team

vince1975be

BRU terminal C + admin building

Post by vince1975be »

Last month I was traveling from Brussels and had to wait at gate B 01, with a very close view on the C terminal and the tower / administration building. It almost shocked me to see how deteriorated these buildings are: missing windows and doors, raw concrete, very dirty, etc. Anyone any ideas if they are going to renovate these buildings ? It's like day and night now when you compare it to Concourse A...

Zorba

Post by Zorba »

Well, there was said here they were going to renovate it, but no further information tough ... would be nice if they renovate it, with a new spotters terras :twisted: I realy hope they renovate it, must be great to see it when it's done !
Tot hier en verder

blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

And how are they going to pay this renovation? They still have to pay off a serious amount of money (the A-pier was a huge investment). And there is still enough capacity: 30.000.000, while now, only 16.000.000 passengers are travelling through Brussels. But I agree with the fact that it is hard te see the current state of the old terminal what was once one of the most modern airport builings in Europe.

Avro

Post by Avro »

They could renovate them and open that terminal for LCC operations, giving them the oportunity to fly a less modern terminal but cheaper.

But since biac doesn't want LCC to fly to BRU they will certainly not opt for that option.

On the otherhand it would be nice to re-open the terrace on the satelite.

But as Blackhawk already said, they for sure don't have the money for such an investment. With Pier A and B there is enough capacity. Also don't forget that the new tower is being build and such a building costs a lot !!!

Chris

blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

The tower is property of Belgocontrol, so BIAC don't need to pay (correct?). But they will renovate the old tower.

Avro

Post by Avro »

blackhawk wrote:The tower is property of Belgocontrol, so BIAC don't need to pay (correct?). But they will renovate the old tower.
Doesn't BIAC colaborate in the investment of the new Tower ? Sorry if I was wrong :oops:

It's nice to knon that the old tower will be renovated :)

Chris

744rules

Post by 744rules »

I don't think it can be used properly for the LCC, as BRU has seperated the traffic from/to Shengen and Non-Shengen destinations

vince1975be

Post by vince1975be »

But even if they are not using it as a terminal, I think they should at least renovate the office buidling (the one btw departure hall and C concourse).
I can't even imagine that people are still working in that building if you look at its state: it seems like since it has been build, nobody has ever repaired a thing, except putting wooden boards over broken windows... It's the same situation on landside: when you enter the driveway towards the airport and see that building, some would think you're in Ukraine rather than at the "heart of Europe's" airport...

Flybe

Post by Flybe »

When i was visiting the airport this summer (one of those guided tours) I asked the same question to the guide. He told me that the C pier and satellite were supposed to be demolished, and wouldn't be renovated. The reason why it isn't demolished yet is the collapse of Sabena and the difficult (financial) times that resulted out of that for BIAC. But in the future it will probably be demolished. He didn't say what was supposed to happen with the office building.

The office building is almost empty, if i'm not mistaking. The people of Belgocontrol that are still in it will move later this year all to the new building under the new tower, so it will be as good as totally empty, i guess. What they will do: leave it like that (cheapest), renovate it (who would come in it?) or destroy it (create more space for expansion later)?; i don't know what they will do. I think the old terminal is protected, so it's not that easy... But in my opinion a demolition of the old C concours is the best thing to do, if later a further expansion is necessary, the can put a new and more efficient construction (more efficient in available space, but also isolation, newest techniques and so on).

Most of this is just personal opinion though, so don't shoot me if i'm wrong 8)

Greets,

Pieter

Kapitein

Post by Kapitein »

The plans for the moment are that they will start with the demolishing of the C-terminal in May 2005.

The new tower has nothing to do with BIAC anymore, Belgocontrol build this one alone. Theres only 1 room reserved for BIAC and that's only for our service. In case of a fire in the old building we still have the AMS and CDB connections that we need to have, to do are job correctly and with the wright information.

Avro

Post by Avro »

Thanks for the answer Brubiac. Sorry I was wrong with the tower :oops:

Apuneger

Post by Apuneger »

If I remember correct the BRU masterplan, a plan that was made up a couple of years ago includes the demolishing of the current C-pier and the buildup of a new C pier, whenever BRU sgould need the capacity. However, the same masterplan also includes the extension of the A pier to the left side should it become necessary.

Ivan
It's not good when it's done, it's done when it's good...
---
Facebook | Twitter | Flickr

Flybe

Post by Flybe »

The A pier can indeed be extended to the west side, as stated here: http://www.brusselsairport.be/works/nl/ ... sit_nl.pdf on the first page.

Although i don't know if DHL would like that, but it indeed seems a good solution if intra Schengen traffic would become to big for the current infrastructure (normally in some time all new EU countries will enter Schengen, as they need to take over all "acquis communautaire" (existing legislation) in time). It's easier to keep Schengen flights all in 1 terminal, and not to split it over 2 piers that would be at the 2 opposite ends of the airport.

So my guess is that a new C pier will only be build if non schengen traffic becomes too much for the B pier.

Greets,

Pieter

Kapitein

Post by Kapitein »

Apuneger wrote:If I remember correct the BRU masterplan, a plan that was made up a couple of years ago includes the demolishing of the current C-pier and the buildup of a new C pier, whenever BRU sgould need the capacity. However, the same masterplan also includes the extension of the A pier to the left side should it become necessary.

Ivan
That's indeed wright, but these plans where cancelled after Sabena has gone bankrupt.
For the moment we have place enough with the current terminals. The only thing that need expancion in the near future is Brucargo.

And if DHL stays in BRU, let's hope so, than they need to expand Apron 60 also.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Brubiac wrote:The plans for the moment are that they will start with the demolishing of the C-terminal in May 2005.
Does this include the satellite, which is still in pretty good shape?
André
ex Sabena #26567

Kapitein

Post by Kapitein »

sn26567 wrote:
Brubiac wrote:The plans for the moment are that they will start with the demolishing of the C-terminal in May 2005.
Does this include the satellite, which is still in pretty good shape?
I'm not sure or the satellite is included, let's hope not. Like you said it's still in good shape.

sab319
Location: Mortsel, antwerp, Flanders, Belgium, Europe, Earth, Milky way

Post by sab319 »

well if they wouldn't demolish the satelitte, what would they do with it?

wolle_alol

Post by wolle_alol »

I think the best solution for the old C terminal wille be: BIAC attracts a low cost carrier and The C terminal will be a terminal exclusive for low cost carriers

Why do I think this is possible?
-because of DHL leaving Brussels (probably) they will have to find new incomes, so low cost traffic would be perfect
-Brussels isn't that expensive for airliners, so many low cost carriers will be pleased to come to brussels

that was my opinion, I hope it will be correct (though I don't like DHL leaving brussels!!)

Apuneger

Post by Apuneger »

Brubiac,

Thanks for the clarification.

Ivan
It's not good when it's done, it's done when it's good...
---
Facebook | Twitter | Flickr

Jense

Post by Jense »

wolle_alol wrote:Brussels isn't that expensive for airliners, so many low cost carriers will be pleased to come to brussels
Euhm, sorry, but... you're totally wrong there... If BRU wasn't that expensive, why aren't there low costs airlines?

greettzzz