Berlin Tempelhof to stay open

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

OO-VEX

Berlin Tempelhof to stay open

Post by OO-VEX »

I've found the following topic on Airliners.net :arrow: http://www.airliners.net/discussions/ge ... n/1752730/

The closure of THF is rejected by court.

I'm wondering what SN Brussels Airlines will do, as Berlin Tegel is already in the timetable.

OO-VEX

Avro

Post by Avro »

Thanks for the news Koen.

Nice to see they will continue to be open for a while, but the new closeure dat is end 2006. I wonder if the airlines, which already bought some new slots will come back to THF because in 2 years it'll be over again.

Anyway I hope SN will stay there...

Chris

EBBR

Post by EBBR »

I am sure SN stays in Tempelhof, it's way too profitable to leave.

EBBR

Post by EBBR »

EBBR wrote:I am sure SN stays in Tempelhof, it's way too profitable to leave.
Message confirmed 8)

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

EBBR wrote:
EBBR wrote:I am sure SN stays in Tempelhof, it's way too profitable to leave.
Message confirmed 8)
And what about the SN press release saying they had booked space at Tegel and would move by 1 November?
André
ex Sabena #26567

L-1011

Post by L-1011 »

Please Mr SN, stay in THF. I'd like to have a chance to see the plane under the "roof" once :)

Zorba

Post by Zorba »

Nice news, hope they stay open for a long time :!:
Tot hier en verder

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

The SN booking system still shows only Tegel after 1 Nov. (and only Tempelhof before that date).
André
ex Sabena #26567

Kapitein

Post by Kapitein »

Can someone give the reason why SN prefers to stay at Tempelhof instead of Tegel?

EBBR

Post by EBBR »

sn26567 wrote:And what about the SN press release saying they had booked space at Tegel and would move by 1 November?
Wait and see!

Tempelhof is a money-machine and one of the most important SN destinations.

Business-travellers like Tempelhof for quicker checkin-times and for being closer to the city-center. The court ruled that the airport must remain open for the next 2 years, I am 200% all companies will keep operations in THF.

A318

Post by A318 »

Hmmm, well Denim Airways moved to Tegel and I heard no intentions to go back to Tempelhof.
Too bad they didn't decide that earlier it will make a big loss for Tempelhof.

Greetz,

Erwin
A Whole Different Animal

regi

Post by regi »

well, for those who took the flight brussels-tempelhof with SN: disembarking under the roof is a rather special event. And I don't know the equivalent. Tempelhof is good.
But the taxi ride to the city costs 18 euro.
Tegel won't be better, and Schönefeld is 40 km away!

The danger with the postponed closure is that the maintenance of the airport will lack.

Air_Lac

Post by Air_Lac »

Tempelhof is a very interesting airport also from an archictectural point of view. It is not only an airport but also a historic monument and should be kept open for aviation. It very much kept its architecture since the time it has been built - which is very rare for airports where the old structures gradually disappear and are replaced by modern buildings.

It is certainly wirth a visit...also accorss the street there is very good aircraft-enthusisast's shop with lots of models, books and other memorabilia...

I was lukcy enough to fly BRU-THF-BRN in October 2003. Indeed it is amazing to see the Avro RJs parked under a roof!

Air_Lac

ELLX

Post by ELLX »

Luxair moved to TXL with thei F50s last July a pity...
Anyway I hope it won't close down... they should make a GA airport out of it...

avio

Post by avio »

I flew to Tempelhof last thursday and back on saturday with SNBA. It indeed is a special experience to see the aircraft park under the roof. At the SNBA check-in, there as document to gather signatures to keep Tempelhof open. So, if you pass at Tempelhof in the coming weeks, sign it. Other interesting activity at Tempelhof: Air Service Berlin offers flights with a DC3, called 'rosinenbomber', named after the well known aircraft which dropped candy for the Berlin kids during the blocade /airlift; They have a shop in the airport and sell nice souvenirs. See www.air-service-berlin.de

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Thanks for your input, avio.

And a warm welcome to Luchtzak.
André
ex Sabena #26567

B744skipper

Post by B744skipper »

It is very good news that Tempelhof stays open, but I am afraid that they just posphoned the closure of Tempelhof instead of keeping it open for sure.
And that they have announced this news so late is for me just a hint that they have trying to scare airlines away so that in a year they can say: "He look, traffic has decreased by x%".
Those darn politics. :?

I just can refer to something that already has been said very often:
- Just look at the London City Airport concept, it does work out there, so why don't give it a try at Tempelhof. In my opinion there is a real market for this kind of city airports.

dna

Post by dna »

I flew Brussels-Tempelhof return last June, and it was indeed a special occasion. It's hard to describe, but you can feel history as soon as you arrive.

Parking under the roof is unique, but also the entire architecture is very interesting. I don't know when exactly the airport was built (1930s?) but the terminal bullding certainly remains impressive to this very day.

Also take-off from Tempelhof is very spectacular due to the limited lentgh of the runway. It will be sorely missed for sure, because I feel the closure will still happen eventually.

Dave

avio

Post by avio »

Indeed, the short runway take-off is impressive; imagine that a complete electrical power station has been flown in in parts during the Berlin Air Lift!! Nobody was asking for a 'speidingsplan' at that time.

B744skipper

Post by B744skipper »

dna wrote:Parking under the roof is unique, but also the entire architecture is very interesting. I don't know when exactly the airport was built (1930s?)
I read in the "flug Revue" that the architecture is from the 30s, designed by "the Third Reich". Construction on the airport was started in late 30s but (has been stopped?), to be completed after the war when the allies moved in and needed Tempelhof Airport.